Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my stock speakers in a 2013 sonata GLS. I have read many posts on this forum concerning power handling and impedance. Are the front door speakers in the Sonata GLS full range or do they have a crossover and use the tweeters in the full full range sound? I am simply looking to replace the stock speakers most likely with something offered at Crutchfield.com. Crutchfield states that I need shallow speakers is this true. Will the stock radio be able to drive these for new speakers effectively? I have already added a sub box with two infinity subs and an ADS amp with in audio control LC2i. Also how do I add my cars modifications to each post like I have seen others done on this forum.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The mounting depth of the front speakers is listed as 3.25-inches.

The front speaker is a full range speaker and the tweeter has a crossover (single capacitor) on it.

The rear speaker has a depth of 3.4 inches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wthomas69
I installed Infinity 6032si from Crutchfield, in my 2013 Optima. They fit just fine and can handle anything your oem speakers did and then some. They are shallow mount and were an easy mount using the stock speaker surround. Remove the stock speaker from inner panel (4 screws). Cut the old speaker out of it's cradle and use the remaining ring to bolt back in original location with original screws. There's a video on Youtube by Richard Lloyd showing detailed install on a Sonata.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My infinity kappas work great I have amp though

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is a trial post

·
Registered
592 Posts
SVO is correct..the brown banded wires are the positive..but if you're still worried..the plug n play adapter mentioned is well…fool proof…and clean

·
Registered
606 Posts
He said he used a volt meter to check polarity. What makes you say he is wrong? I'm about to do mine. I need to know.:confused:
He doesn't understand electricity. The speaker voice coil is an inductor. As the speaker moves it creates its own voltage. Which will make any reading worthless, also his meter was set to DC. Speaker signal is an AC current. AC current changes polarity constantly.

The factory radio uses an IC output instead of a transistor output. This means that the AC voltage floats above ground. Reading across the terminals with a digital volt meter set to DC will read only the difference between the voltages on both terminals.

Which will be about 0.1 to 0.2 volts. by the way, thats not enough to drive a speaker

Don't believe me, then do this. Take a digital volt meter, set it to DC and the 20 volt scale. Place the black lead to ground and the red lead on either speaker lead (make sure the volume control is all the way down).

You will read the SAME positive voltage on both speaker leads. That voltage will be around 6 volts. The difference will be no more than 0.1 to 0.2 volts. Which is what he was reading by the way.

So how do we make the speaker move, simple. We increase the voltage on the positive lead and decrease the voltage on the negative lead by the same amount, the speaker moves forward. To make the speaker move backward we simply reverse the process.

Now if we do this 100 times per second we have a 100Hz sound wave. The digital Volt meter can not refresh fast enough to see this change. Even set to AC it averages what it sees. If you want to see whats going on with an AC signal, you need an oscilloscope not a volt meter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts