Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 11 Limited Turbo has 115,000 miles now. Figure its time to change the plugs. After much search we dont have many options for plugs. My dealership didnt have any replacement plugs in stock. Autozone showed the Pulstar plug for my car, so I bought 4 of them for 15 bucks a piece. I took out the old plugs, they were worn like they should be and one had some black build up.

I put the new ones in. Car ran like crap! They were pre-gapped at 36. I car mis-fired and was rumbly. Then the engine light went on. F*$k! So I took them out, and after a total of 40 minutes of driving with the new plugs in, one plug was shot. I put the old ones back and in and the car was still running like crap. Now I am terrified I ruined the engine. and my warranty has expired! I called the dealership and all of a sudden they have the Denso plugs in stock. I grab them for 18 bucks each, gapped them at 35 and now my car runs like new.

Moral of the story, just get same plugs that came with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Whoa...you lost the electrode on that one spark plug (bottom most one) so that's part of running like poo. Plus that part had to go somewhere. And you said the first set were gapped at .36 and you gapped the new Densos at .35? Gap certainly plays a factor in spark plug function.

I only install Denso anymore after my Maxima torched a set of Bosch plugs in three weeks. Went back to the Nissan approved Denso plug and poof, didn't have to change them prior to trade in.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It is surprising that the Pulstar plug didn't work. Pulstar recommends their Iridium Pulse Plug, gg1i, gapped to 0.025" for the 2.0t.

They recommend the same plug for the 2.4L, however they suggest a gap of 0.044" for the 2.4L application.

They also offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a Lifetime Warranty for their Iridium plug. Might want to take them up on that and get a refund!

Rockauto sells the Denso Iridium plugs as well for $11 each.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to return my Pulstars to Autozone. I certainly learned a lesson, I am sticking to the Denso's. The tip is still there on the busted plug, the white thing slid down over the tip. So I dont THINK there is anything foreign in my engine.

As far as gap goes, the plugs that came out of my car were all around 28. I have read here on the forum that we should be gapping them at 35-40. The dealership told me the gap should be between 39-43. What do you think? I was thinking of opening them up more. It literally took me 15 minutes to change the plugs.

One more question, should I use the anti seize and dis-lectric. The originals didnt have them.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I was able to return my Pulstars to Autozone. I certainly learned a lesson, I am sticking to the Denso's. The tip is still there on the busted plug, the white thing slid down over the tip. So I dont THINK there is anything foreign in my engine.

As far as gap goes, the plugs that came out of my car were all around 28. I have read here on the forum that we should be gapping them at 35-40. The dealership told me the gap should be between 39-43. What do you think? I was thinking of opening them up more. It literally took me 15 minutes to change the plugs.

One more question, should I use the anti seize and dis-lectric. The originals didnt have them.

Thanks
Glad to hear no foreign material.

I would get a service manual and get the OEM recommended value. Read it in print from Hyundai. Typically turbos are gapped a little tighter than NA's to make sure no spark knock or spark blow out. Again, read it in a Hyundai service manual and use that number. I have a scree shot of the value from the 2011 NA manual to use as an example of what you are looking for.

And anti seize is a polar topic. You have the folks that say no need and it will affect the correct torque spec and there are those that want to insure they can pull the plug out.

If you put Denso back in; I would use your experience of how hard the stock ones were to pull out. If it was cake I would be inclined not to use it. If you had to really work on them to get them out or if it seemed "stiff" to walk the spark plug up the threads then I also might consider using the grease. But remember...VERY light...a little goes a long way. No need to coat the buggers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A very small amount of anti-seize applied properly to the threaded portion only is the choice for me. The torque issue is about having the paste on the seat, or sealing surface of the plug. That will give a false reading.
Skip it if you aren't confident in your application.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
A very small amount of anti-seize applied properly to the threaded portion only is the choice for me. The torque issue is about having the paste on the seat, or sealing surface of the plug. That will give a false reading.
Skip it if you aren't confident in your application.
Any kind of liquid or paste on the threads will as well throw off torque settings. Remember that torque is measured as "resistance" therefore any liquid will act as a lube on the threads thus decreasing the resistance to turn.

That being said, a little anti-seize won't hurt anything

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your input on this. From what I am reading I

will leave my gaps where they are at and not open them up more.
will NOT put the anti seize on. My plugs came out very easy and clean.
not buy anything but Denso plugs for my car.

I have to say even with the original plugs and 115,000 miles my car still was peppy and never ran bad. But with new plugs I it does feel stronger and a little better response.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You really shouldn't attempt to re-gap iridium or platinum plugs. They are supplied pre-gapped and the regapping can damage them. If the gap is way off out of the box you probably got the wrong plugs.
It's concerning that both your old and new plugs in the pics have one with an obviously broken ceramic insulator. That shouldn't happen unless you damaged them or something is going on in that cylinder.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Aftermarket plugs are the biggest scam out there. Best to stick with OEM plugs that are suggested by the manufacturer.
X2. I learned a long time ago to stick with oem.:D

I suspect you got the wrong plugs. Either clerk mistake or the box mislabeled. A slight gap difference should not mean damage to the plug.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Why did you wait until 115k Miles?
The recommended spark plug replacement interval on a Turbo 2.0L is 45K miles.
The 2.4L recommends spark plugs at 100k miles.

Look at your bottom Denso plug in the pic. It also has a broken ceramic insulator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts