Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...just asking about a cheaper alternative. These plugs are used in similar motors, why aren't they recommended for the Sonata 2.4L GDI. Thanks for any comments or thoughts.
Genesis and many others...

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything other than what is listed for your motor. You only have to purchase every 100K miles.

Mine are every 45K in the Tucson, and the Charger has 16....lol

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sitting here in Jersey during the quarantine, so thought I'd write a lengthy reply.
Over the years only used plugs stated for the specific application, but in the 2011 2.0T, back in 2017, called NGK to get some info as the NGK plugs were and are dealer only. After speaking to the "tech" for a short period, he stated that I could use plugs designed for a 2007 BMW Mini Turbo, but they have the 12 point plug, no problem as I had the socket. Bought a set and did the install, long driveway and had a hiccup going to the road, then no problem. After getting on the highway the car just didn't feel right, a little sluggish, but ran OK. After about 15 miles, the tach dropped to zero and the cel came on, but the car continued running until slowing down, then stalled. On the way home, hot day, the A/C stopped pumping out cold air as there was no signal going to the ecu, hence dead tach.

Got the car home, read the code, crankshaft position sensor, but made no sense to me, so installed a new set of Denso plugs I had in the garage. Took it out for a ride..........100% perfect.

Called NGK and asked about the problem and the reply I received was that they have seen all types of problems/codes when different plugs then specified are used in a vehicle, but no real explanation as to what the actual problem was, but from now on, back to plugs that have been designed for a specific engine.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The 2.4GDI isn't plug picky

The 2.0T will eat plugs and Hyundai simply went to a cooler plug as a 'bandaid'. The other bandaids on the 2.0T are a shorter plug change interval and less likely to get spark blown out smaller gap. Hey, the cheap consumer wants to use usa87octane with a turbo relatively high compression engine. The plug suffers.

As long as its a name brand quality spark plug, it'll last a long time on the 2.4GDI. Look for any plug with double 'fancy metal'.... either ruthenium, platinum, iridium, or combo of those metals. Crossreferencing is fine. Check gap prior to installation. Install dry(no never seize ever) plugs on a cold engine and use a torque wrench. The fancy metals will last 50k-150k depending on driving style. I've seen even longer on some engines. Some of the copper/silver plugs will need to be regapped at every oil change interval, and will wear early(sometimes as early as 20k-30k miles). So, don't cheap out on cheap generic copper plugs unless you don't mind pulling them often.

If you know how to read a plug, you can adjust the gap for better performance, degree the plug, or change the heat range for better expectations for your weather or boost/power levels. 2.4gdi doesn't have boost and should already come with a larger gap plug compared to the 2.0T.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It might be just the pic's but the printing on the plugs looks quite poor. Were they really made in Korea and by whom. The price is too good to be true.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The printing is only pixelated from the magnifier...as far as be legit, you can only go by the sellers ratings.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If someone wants to experiment? I only have one vehicle! ;)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Hope you demanded a refund - the person you spoke to had to be clueless - as is often the case as a lot of companies outsource to call centers and use screen monkeys who might think they are being helpful.

Called NGK and asked about the problem and the reply I received was that they have seen all types of problems/codes when different plugs then specified are used in a vehicle, but no real explanation as to what the actual problem was, but from now on, back to plugs that have been designed for a specific engine.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The 2.4GDI isn't plug picky

The 2.0T will eat plugs and Hyundai simply went to a cooler plug as a 'bandaid'. The other bandaids on the 2.0T are a shorter plug change interval and less likely to get spark blown out smaller gap. Hey, the cheap consumer wants to use usa87octane with a turbo relatively high compression engine. The plug suffers.

My 2.0T doesn't eat plugs, changed the oem denso and replaced with denso at around 50k miles only for warranty reasons, kept the old plugs and will re-install when warranty is up. And I use 87 octane as in all likelihood most owners do . Now to talk about getting eatin alive - that would be paying $20 per plug for Hyundai's exclusive NGK plug, thanks Hyundai I think I'll take a rain check.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dtech, you're obviously a smart person...pls stop responding inside quotes. :geek:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'll have to take a tutorial on how to use this new SW , have yet to figure out the difference between hitting quote and the reply icons, no small wonder that some quit using the site because the old sw was arguably better. Buy those plugs though, the seller gets good reviews so it's a deal.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ordered! ;) A word of caution to all...after paying I see it's a Chinese company and not Korean.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Any plug sold on Ebay will get good feedback in the first couple of weeks. Lets know what their like after a couple of thousand miles/kms. The Iridium is only a very this coating and might look good at the start. Hope I'm wrong with this one. I fitted a set of plugs made in Russia and they blew the packing out between the porcelain and the steel outer case loosing compression after a few weeks of driving.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Received goods...exactly as advertised, made in Korea, Hyundai/Mobis/NGK, Hologram sealed, and they appear to be a quality plug. I'll let you know more later...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could use those in my push-mower! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts