Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August 2010, my car dealer suggested that I replace the spark plugs in my 2004 Hyundai Sonata. The car had only 66,000 km, but it was more of a time thing than milage. I let them change the plugs. The dealer replaced the spark plugs with part 092PM-18000I ($11.71 a piece) + labour ($249.74).

When I went to go in for an oil change recently, the dealer that I normally go to had just changed hands, so I decided to use a Hyundai dealer closer to home. When they did their inspection, they suggested that I replace the spark plugs with a different part number (6 x 099PM-18000 @ 23.88 each) AND the "cable set" (27501-37A00) at $100.97 not knowing that I had recently done them. I said that I had already done the work in August. However, on closer inspection of the report, I noticed that the spark plugs they were GOING to install were a different part number, and more expensive. In addition, they wanted to replace the "ignition wires" which wasn't done at the original dealership. When I asked what the difference in spark plug parts was (092PM-18000I versus 099PM-18000), they didn't tell me -- just that what they were recommending to install was what was suggested by the Hyundai parts catalogue for this vehicle. The dealer said they would give me a 20% discount on parts + labour if I wanted to remove the newly installed plugs and replace the plugs + ignition wires. That would be a whole lot of money to spend!

I am not a car expert, but I also don't want to be "taken". I don't want to be "stranded" or damage my vehicle because it has the wrong part installed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Those part numbers you have is "NOT ON FILE" on our Hyundai parts catalog..

My catalog shows 27410-37100 (Champion Platinum) and 18817-11051 (NGK Platinum) <-- Prefered plug here

Wire set is correct part number.. I'd be pulling a plug and looking to what they sold you...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got to be honest -- I don't even know where to find 'em! But I guess I just have to look in the manual.

I assume the difference in part numbers is because i'm in Canada and they might have different part numbers here. (maybe).

You didn't say whether it was necessary to change the cable set when changing the plugs?

thanks,

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (kangaroo @ Dec 14 2010, 04:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379801
You didn't say whether it was necessary to change the cable set when changing the plugs?
Best to change aged wires at time of plug replace... wont be good to have misfire on Bank 1 next week and have to pay the hefty charge to remove the plenum again to replace wires when it was already apart last week.. :thumbsup:

thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into it, and to find out which plugs are in there, I would have to start unscrewing stuff. Given that I don't know much about the vehicle internals, this probably wouldn't be the best idea. I wish someone here from CAN had a way of checking up on that part number.
What would the symptom be if the wires started causing problems (misfires). What would happen?
I'm trying to figure out if, given that the work wasn't done properly (plugs changed and not wires, and I don't even know if the plugs are right) if I should pay to change everything again (hundreds of dollars) now, or wait until I "begin" to experience symptoms and then deal with it then. There's no point in throwing out the new plugs that I got whether they are "lower quality" than the ones that should have been put in there because surely they should last at least SOME time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the dealer than was taken over, and they were actually very helpful.

092PM part number is apparently NGK BKR5EIX-11 (Iridium Spark Plug).
099PM part number is apparently NGK PFRN-11 Laser Platinum Spark Plug

Apparently, Iridium is just as good, if not better than Platinum.
They also had a good point -- they suggested that if the ignition wires really needed to be changed, and were worn, "don't you think the dealer would have told you, and hence charged you for the replacement wires?"... makes sense.

In other words, unless someone tells me that this part number (now that I know the real part number) isn't valid for this vehicle, I'm probably OK!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Id say don't worry about it. I replaced my spark plugs in my 05 sonata with the NGK brand. Worked out fine, didnt change the wires though because they were still in good condition. The dealer, like they said, would have told you that you needed to change the wires if they saw the condition was bad enough, which they werent. Im thinking you stay with the dealer you have been going to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts