Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I wanted to ask anyone who owns a 2012 Elantra if they have tried to change the spark plugs. (I have changed spark plugs in my previous Honda CR-V and Buick Century with no issues). None of my different Craftsman Universal 8 point deep well sockets (13, 14, 15 and 16mm) will work. It feels as if there is something preventing the socket from going all the way down. Checked if maybe the spark plug was too long for the socket and there is plenty of room. If anybody has been successful, could you please tell me what brand socket and/or procedure did you use? Thank you so much for your help! :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would recommend getting the correct socket. They actually make sockets just for sparkplugs. Most common sizes are either 5/8ths or 13/16th

·
22,788 Posts
Are you changing plugs before the recommended interval?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Them plugs be 100,000 mile interval (Iridium)..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:00000732:

Get the replacement spark plugs and use them as a guide to the correct socket size.
Should be the same size as what's in the cah.
I got the repalcement Iridiums (14mm socket). I actually went and purchased a different six point 14mm deep well socket. My issue is that none of the sockets will go all the way down to grab the spark plug. I was wondering if someone has actually gone through with the procedure and found this issue as well...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got the repalcement Iridiums (14mm socket). I actually went and purchased a different six point 14mm deep well socket. My issue is that none of the sockets will go all the way down to grab the spark plug. I was wondering if someone has actually gone through with the procedure and found this issue as well...
There is a post on the forum about changing plugs, try a search.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Maybe need a thin–wall socket?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Not planning to touch mine till 100K unless there seems to be a problem. Glad you guys are jumping the gun and solving all of these problems for me now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,788 Posts
My book says 100K, iridium. Good enough for me. When the time comes (if Ingrid and I are still around, mind you) we'll address that issue, then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Elantra spark plug change

Did anyone ever have an answer to this question? I have just encountered the same problem trying to change plugs on my Elantra at almost 100,000 miles. Still running well now, but wanted to change them before a 6,000 mile trip.
I even purchased a Haynes repair manual that was supposed to include the 2012 model...but no luck...just standard info on plug change. I've tried grinding down the outside diameter of a 14mm deep socket and still no luck. It seems like Hyundai wants you to take the vehicle to them for every little thing. The dealer was always trying to sell me something I didn't need.
It's too bad because I really love the little car.
Anyway, does anybody have a real answer to this dilemma?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Did anyone ever have an answer to this question? I have just encountered the same problem trying to change plugs on my Elantra at almost 100,000 miles. Still running well now, but wanted to change them before a 6,000 mile trip.
I even purchased a Haynes repair manual that was supposed to include the 2012 model...but no luck...just standard info on plug change. I've tried grinding down the outside diameter of a 14mm deep socket and still no luck. It seems like Hyundai wants you to take the vehicle to them for every little thing. The dealer was always trying to sell me something I didn't need.
It's too bad because I really love the little car.
Anyway, does anybody have a real answer to this dilemma?
I just use my 20+ yr old every day Snap On 5/8 plug socket.. nothing to it.. get to where you can see coils, unbolt the 4 coil, lift out of tube, change plug,, cant be any harder than that

I give you 20 minute tops to do job.. that if you slow

Reactions: Morsel
1 - 20 of 31 Posts