Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the spark plugs on my 2004 Tiburon GT 6 speed. I had to take the upper air intake manifold off to get to the rear three spark plugs. After installing all of the spark plugs and putting everything back together, the engine revs up while driving or in neutral (anywhere from 2000RPM to red line). The revving seems to oscillate too. The throttle cable does not appear to be sticking and I don't notice any air leaks.
Can anyone help determine what has gone wrong?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
moving your post over to the tiburon forum for a better response.

BTW welcome to the forums :00000732:

·
Registered
84 Posts
sounds like a vacum leak. the engine is getting too much air, and compensating by increasing the fuel. try running the engine at idle, and spray wd-40 around potential areas. if the idle increases, it's your leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but the WD-40 didn't work.
Anybody else with a guess?
I really don't want to take it in to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If it ran before you worked on it, then it is something in your re-assembly...

Go back through step by step and take it apart. Did you replace the plenum gasket ? Did remember to plug in the brake booster line ?

Really nothing to goof up when doing plugs on a 2.7....

·
Registered
7 Posts
new gaskets are a must when you remove the intake, if you tried to salvage the olds ones that could be it, or it could also be a vacuum leak.. my tibby would rev when started and hold at 3000rpm, also a little slow on throttle response and it was vacuum leak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts