Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a plug and wire change on an 04 Santa Fe 3.5L. I bought it used with 75,000 miles, the previous owner said he done the plug change (I'm skeptical based on what I'm seeing) . Now at 145,000 miles and running rough, I'm committed to doing the task. The front 3 plugs w/coil overs went smoothly. After removing everything necessary to get to the rear plugs. I can't get any of the boots to come off. I have twisted them both directions, pulled and cussed at them, they aren't coming off. I decided to do the experimenting on #5 plug. I tied a string under the top seal and pulled up and it tore apart from the hard plastic tube, I broke that up and now I can't get the bottom rubber part off. Any chemical that will melt this? Any ideas or tool to remove the other two boots in the whole?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
Try some lacquerer thinner. The kind with toluene in it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't say it would work with your car, but... in past when I could not get the long throat plug boots to break from the plugs I took a long blade screw driver and bent about 1/8" of the blade tip over to a 90 degree angle. I then work the blade down into the well adjacent to the plug and try to pull the bottom of the boot upwards. Usually work the tip around the boot, pulling a little in several locations, and the boot has always come off without damage.

To prevent this in the future, apply a little dielectric grease on the new plugs to prevent sticking over time. I also use a magnetic plug socket that has a built in swivel extension so I do not accidentally get my plug socket stuck down in the well if it would pop off the usual wrench. A long extension plug wrench with a magnetic socket will extract the greased plug is very helpful on a lot of engines, including my jet skis. Also assists in starting plugs down in a well. I believe I got mine for about $10 at Advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David, I thought of doing something similar to the screwdriver idea, there's just no clearance. Thanks for your thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I should come back and post what I did to solve this personal nightmare (it took me 3 1/2 hrs. to pick the boot out piece by piece). For the other plug boots I pulled the outer part of the boot up and put a screwdriver in there to make room to stick a drinking straw as far down as possible and sprayed carb cleaner into the straw, let it soak for about an hour. Twisted the boot back and forth up an down then pulled it right off. Worked the same for both boots. For install I used dielectric grease on plug and boot and anti-seize on plug threads. I certainly hope this can help someone having similar issues.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how you made out. My Kia, which is almost the same motor, also had original plugs at 129K. I was able to get my back plugs out with some effort, but I had to persevere.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,803 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how you made out. My Kia, which is almost the same motor, also had original plugs at 129K. I was able to get my back plugs out with some effort, but I had to persevere.

Lone Watie: We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts