Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Santa Fe Lmtd. It has the 18 inch wheels. I am looking to pick up a wheel from a scrapyard and to have a full sized spare. So far no luck. But, I did find a 17 inch wheel. The guy said it would be fine to use a spare.... “just don’t go too far or too fast.”
Obviously I’m not an expert ... so, can I run the 17 as a spare? Will the bolt patterns match up? Will it mess up the TPMS or ABS or any other sensory system? What is too far - 5 miles? 10? Can I drive it as far as 20-25 if needed to get a place to fix/replace the original?
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should have mentioned that the wheel I’m looking at getting is a Hyunda rim coming off of Santa Fe.
My tires are 235 60R 18 and the tire (it’s actually a new tire) on the 17 inch wheel is 235 65R 17.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Check the overall diameter of the tires and compare them. Using the data for the tires by manufacturer/model from www.tirerack.com will tell you how close they are. As long as there isn't a lot of difference between the total diameter of the spare tire and wheel and the service tires and wheels, you're good to go. There needs to be a little tolerance to allow for uneven tire wear in normal service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The service tire is 29.1” and the spare is 29”
I’m guessing 0.1” is within an allowable amount of tolerance... especially given the spare (which is the smaller diameter) is a new tire and the service set (while close to new) is not new, so there has been some wear on it and therefore is probably not a full 29.1” any more.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Is the car an AWD, it should have come with a spare. A .1 is an acceptable limit. You should have the tire under the trunk with a crank up system. Need the lug nut and extender to fit the crank bolt in the trunk. The tire should go with the bump in the rim facing up. I would grease the cable a bit when it's down.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You'll be fine. Drive as far as you like on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts