Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the maximum wheel and tire I can fit underneath this SUV safely?

I dont want to buy another donut. My spare tire and wheel are shot. (175K Miles in the North East dont do a car good)

:cigareta:

It can hang a little lower then the donut did. I dont care about the look. Im thinking...Size: 215/55R17

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2010 Santa Fe and the full size P235/60/18 fits under there just fine. Even with a Curt trailer hitch. When I had a flat two summers ago I installed the mini spare onto the vehicle and then stored my regular wheel and tire underneath with no problem.

Scott.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I went with a 235 70 16 and it fits great. Went with a 16 inch cause I bought a new steel wheel from Walmart for 50.00 including delivery.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
As long as you can mount the rim and its hub centric 16" will be fine as spare. You should test it on the vehicle!!! Since you've down sized your rim. No point waiting until you really need it and have to Utter an Ahhh SHi......t. Eh!!! Nothing you say will make it fit and the words would be futile.

Just saying.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you I took your advice the $50 dollar 16' Dorman wheel was off by like 1/4 inch and would not sit on the hub correctly. Guess I will buy one from tire rack so i dont have any issue.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You want it to be centric for sure even if you use the nylon rings to accomplish this. that's a big space and I doubt their are rings for it. It may get you out of a jam if centered by bolting the stubs ride ok at lower speeds as a true emergency tire. You'd want it replace as soon as you get the flat fixed.

I was surprised that a local tire shop said the lugs will center it when he quoted me on rims/tire for my new 4WD. Wow, not true and a lot of stress on the vehicle. it weighs in at 5000lbs. OEM all use centric rims for a very good reason. This should never pass safety checks with that being used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts