Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While i was driving into work today, i passed a guy with his Jeep Liberty on the side of the road that had a flat, and it appeared his spare was flat as well. So it reminded me of a write-up i did on another board, and I just wanted to share the reminder. I personally found my (Nissan Rogue) spare tire to have lost most of its pressure.

Spare Tire Pressure (psi) Have You Checked It Lately?
I FOUND MY SPARE TO BE 40psi TO LOW!!

I figured, since many of you will be hitting the highways (holidays or vacation)- i offer you a tip that i just came across myself as something to be weary about. We all know our car has a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS for short). But what many of us dont know - is that it does NOT judge the tire pressure in the SPARE TIRE. That being said, before you folks hit the road, head up to the local gas station (or if you own a compressor) take a reading on the spare tire. You dont want to be stuck out on the open road - with a flat, that you cant repair because your spare tire is to low to be used. I FOUND MY SPARE TO BE 40psi TO LOW!!

So folks, please go out and check your spare tire pressures. you never know if its lost its pressures between the point it was filled & today. Tires often loose psi all on their own. So before you are stranded somewhere, go check it. A member or two on the other board also found their spare to be over 40psi to low.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The SFS has a space under the trunk area, so it may not be that easy unless you have a lift or a way to get under the car. I guess the best you can do it every time you get an oil change have that tire checked too.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SFS has a space under the trunk area, so it may not be that easy unless you have a lift or a way to get under the car. I guess the best you can do it every time you get an oil change have that tire checked too.
i would say the SF has a much better location for the spare tire than the rogue does. in the rogue, its inside the trunk, but under all the organizers, subwoofer, etc. so to get to the spare- you have to take all the crap out.

i would just crawl under the SF and check with a tire gauge.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i would say the SF has a much better location for the spare tire than the rogue does. in the rogue, its inside the trunk, but under all the organizers, subwoofer, etc. so to get to the spare- you have to take all the crap out.

i would just crawl under the SF and check with a tire gauge.
Hopefully the valve stem is facing down and accessible :)

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully the valve stem is facing down and accessible :)
good point! the way the spare tire in the rogue is, it sits face(valve-stem) down, and away from me. this way the BOSE sub can fit inside the rim.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One additional helpful tip is to carry a portable compressor in the trunk.

This is the one I have: Goodyear i7000 12-Volt Direct Drive Heavy-Duty Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive and it sits snugly in the trunk's organizer tray.

Same device I've used for years, never let me down and fortunately never had to use on an actual flat. Not yet anyway. :D
I have this one from Harbor Freight that i got for like $60. i think it does 150psi or something. its the same things as your goodyear, and the pepboys brand: Tsunami
i have seen guys mount theirs like this:

·
Registered
884 Posts
One additional helpful tip is to carry a portable compressor in the trunk.

This is the one I have: Goodyear i7000 12-Volt Direct Drive Heavy-Duty Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive and it sits snugly in the trunk's organizer tray.

Same device I've used for years, never let me down and fortunately never had to use on an actual flat. Not yet anyway. :D
Yep!

I carry one also..Never used it on my own vehicle, but have used it several times, over the years, on other folks cars, including a young lady whom I recently stopped to help.

She didn`t have a spare tire, so we pumped up the tire that had gone flat, and I followed her to a service station.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For a relatively low cost of sub-$50, it's cheap insurance against a flat tire.

Yep!

I carry one also..Never used it on my own vehicle, but have used it several times, over the years, on other folks cars, including a young lady whom I recently stopped to help.

She didn`t have a spare tire, so we pumped up the tire that had gone flat, and I followed her to a service station.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a relatively low cost of sub-$50, it's cheap insurance against a flat tire.
absolutly! i also keep a tire plug kit in the rear. its even more insurance against problems.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Although I check my tire pressure regularly, including my spare, one advantage of TPMS is you will know if your spare drops below a certain level. Still, never completely rely on TPMS.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Although I check my tire pressure regularly, including my spare, one advantage of TPMS is you will know if your spare drops below a certain level. Still, never completely rely on TPMS.
So the spare has TPMS as well? Didn't know that. Still wished the TPMS told you which tire was low.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one advantage of TPMS is you will know if your spare drops below a certain level.
can you or anyone else verify if the spare has a TPMS sensor? many cars do NOT.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too bad TPMS isn't available on Canadian SFS. Not sure if it'll be on the XL or not.
trust me, you dont want it. the sensors go bad all the time, the valve stem's snap constantly when mounting & dismounting a tire, and they are very much so prone to failure. any RF frequency can easily cause (and it does trust me) cause the TPMS light to flash.
DID I MENTION HOW EXPENSIVE THEY ARE!?

this was nothing short of feel-good legislation passed due to the ford explorer/goodyear fiasco a few years ago. the people who crashed, didnt check their tire pressure/condition, and the tires tore apart. instead of saying: "you should have checked your tire pressures and maintain your car. case closed." - the over overzealous politicians jump up and forced TPMS down our throats.(one of their family members must own a company in this field, i guess)

·
Registered
182 Posts
At least the Santa Fe has a spare.
Many new cars don't now-a-days...
Nick
Maybe I am missing something. "Why" does the Santa Fe get a spare tire and the Elantra's and other Hyundai's units get zelch!! Isn't the Santa Fe a Hyundai?. Somebody enlighten me please.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So no TPMS in our Canadian versions....oh well Just something else to go wrong by the sounds of it.

BTW my spare was down to 42psi when I checked it yesterday.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sorry, cannot verify spare has TPMS sensor...My Highlander did and even though I was good about checking pressure, I did get caught once where my TPMS indicator came on and it was my spare.

Had TPMS in my Highlander (both in stock and winter wheels) and never had an issue with the sensors. I got my sensors for my winters off ebay for under $100 and they were still good when sold in Jan.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts