Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone opt for the OEM spare tire kit over the emergency pump that came with many (if not all) the Elentra's?

Worth the money?? (I find complete kits for about $200 including the tire)

Anyone have a Picture of this installed or explain how this fits in the trunk:
Does it sit flat under the carpet the way the current spare tire free foam piece does?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Anyone opt for the OEM spare tire kit over the emergency pump that came with many (if not all) the Elentra's?

Worth the money?? (I find complete kits for about $200 including the tire)

Anyone have a Picture of this installed or explain how this fits in the trunk:
Does it sit flat under the carpet the way the current spare tire free foam piece does?

i have one. ebay was 150/shipped a while ago. the tire sits in the well and is bolted in by a kinda wingnut. then, the foam filler with the jack and the tools goes in the center of the tire. fits perfect. on our other car, i bought a full size wheel and tire, and it fits in there perfect, too. then i bought a really nice 12v scissors jack, and a spare cordless impact, and a 12v inflator. i think i got like 200 bucks into that kit. i like the full size spare a lot better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I put a spare tire kit in our Sonata. The kit came with everything including jack. We have never used it. I test fit my full size tire in the well in the Elantra and it fits. I have winter and summer tires. I would just need the jack and lug wrench. The kit with the a jack and wrench is around $100. After our experience with the Sonata (2011), I have bothered with the Elantra.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may keep looking. $150 is better than $200. I'm leery about not having a spare tire. With my luck my first flat will ruin the sidewall where the pump will not be able to seal. I also know that most garages that can repair a flat tire or puncture really hate sealants as it complicates their repair.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You could get a tire/wheel at a bone yard. While there, pick up a scissor jack. Get a breaker bar with 21mm socket and you would be all set for a reasonable cost.

It seems to me that if you use the sealant, it would ruin the TPS along with making a mess of the rim.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I bought a brand new full size steel wheel and tire for $150. I cut down the foam insert that came with the car and my floor jack fits nicely in it, along with the lug wrench.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could get a tire/wheel at a bone yard. While there, pick up a scissor jack. Get a breaker bar with 21mm socket and you would be all set for a reasonable cost.

It seems to me that if you use the sealant, it would ruin the TPS along with making a mess of the rim.
Good point about the sealant. I don't think that Hyundai thought of that or cared when they decided to save money by taking out the spare.

I bought a brand new full size steel wheel and tire for $150. I cut down the foam insert that came with the car and my floor jack fits nicely in it, along with the lug wrench.
Nice idea! I have options to consider.:smile:

·
Registered
85 Posts

It will. Of all the idiotic crap that manufacturers put in their cars squirty can sealers and no spare wheel must be one of the most idiotic. Mine went straight in the bin and I bought a space saver spare and jack etc off Ebay. What annoys me is that the well for the wheel is there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Canadian cars got the spare tire kit standard, but we didn't get the TPMS. Go figure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I made a counter offer for an OEM kit, with tire installed (New from a Hyundai dealer selling on eBay) and my offer was accepted.

Probably not the best price, but it still beats going locally to the dealer and buying it.

I got the entire kit (should all be coming still on the Hyundai OEM bags, except for the red wheel with a new Hankook spare installed) for $180. I just need to be sure it has 60psi, take the part out of my car for the pump and drop in this spare tire and kit...oh, and add the new door sill sticker to the car showing the spare tire. :grin2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
You will now have to remember to check the spare's pressure every so often or keep the pump in the car. I check my wife's every oil change which is every 6K miles and I have to add 5 PSI.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will now have to remember to check the spare's pressure every so often or keep the pump in the car. I check my wife's every oil change which is every 6K miles and I have to add 5 PSI.
Good point. Thanks for the tip.:smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts