Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are some threads about spare tires for Accents already, but when I look at the links sometimes it isn't clear what you're actually getting in the kit. I want an official Hyundai spare tire kit for my 2013 GS that comes with a full-sized tire mounted. I saw a kit on Amazon but that comes with a doughnut, and other kits come with no tire at all. What is a good source for the kit with spare for those who have ordered them online? The rest of my tires are Hankook Optimo 724s and it would be nice if it's one of those.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't mind the doughnut spare kit. I'm going to go look on Amazon, but would you be so kind as to share the link to what you found? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
There is no "official Hyundai Spare tire kit that comes with a full-sized tire".

This is close, but expensive: Hyundai Accent 2012+ Spare Tire Kit

If you want to build your own full size spare, see:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-r...size-14-steel-spare-here-exactly-what-do.html

If you want the official kit with the donut - see the last page of that thread -
Hyundai Accent 2012+ Compact Spare Kit

accent spare tire kit | eBay

Or search part number 1RF40-AC900.

Supposedly, the kit only works with the sedan and not the hatchback Accents - but I don't really know why ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Tiger-Heli.

I wouldn't mind the doughnut spare kit. I'm going to go look on Amazon, but would you be so kind as to share the link to what you found? Thanks!
Here's what I saw on Amazon: 2012-13 Hyundai Accent Spare Tire Kit (Oem) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I took a chance and ordered one of those from South Shore Hyundai Parts because they're located fairly nearby. According to the reviews, some arrive mounted and some do not, probably depending on the seller. They also claim that this kit should fit in any 2013 Accent. I'll let you know what comes in the mail and also whether or not it fits in my spare tire hole.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It appears by the description that the tire is a 175/70-14 full size spare which will work for either the stock 14" or 16" wheel / tires. The steel wheel looks exactly like what I bought from Tire Rack.

Independent of whether this is the cheapest way to go about it, this is ABSOLUTELY the first thing that needs to happen after you buy the car. You don't have to do anything else but make sure you have an alternative to the inflation kit. You don't want to be stuck somewhere in NYC on a weekend night because you ran over a nail or clipped a curb and blew out the tire. It's almost worth whatever you pay for it. Glad you settled on the Accent...I know you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
@Doughlomyte - The kit meese bought comes with a T125/80D15 (or requires) spare tire.

Personally - I'm a big fan of having a full-size spare tire and appreciate the info provided in the long thread I linked to, but I agree - having SOME type of spare tire should be one of the first things you do. (Although I have a 2002 Focus with a donut spare that's never seen the ground - but if I didn't have a spare, I wouldn't be that lucky.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
@Doughlomyte - The kit meese bought comes with a T125/80D15 (or requires) spare tire.

Yep...sorry, I missed that. We can all agree that getting a tire on there ( donut or otherwise ) and, in my case at least, "environmentally-safe disposal" of the inflation kit...is a good thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Absolutely...either that or some kind of concrete bunker on wheels. I think in that instance a donut spare is preferable to a full size one. That minute or two saved might end up saving YOU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update that my spare tire kit arrived, and the spare fits in the spare tire space in the trunk. It doesn't look like South Shore Hyundai Parts is selling any more of these on Amazon for the time being, so if you order it from another seller you may want to make sure that the tire comes mounted. Mine did. It also didn't ship in a box; it came simply wrapped in plastic wrap with no protective packaging. I was concerned about that, but the tire seems okay.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've been meaning to ask, so I thought I'd ask here rather than create a new thread...

Anyway, I bought new tires a while back when the Kumhos wore down below the minimum tread length. I kept one of the kumho tires to use as a spare tire for my car, but I just never got around to asking this question...

Where can I go to figure out what size rims this tire can fit on, and preferably find a rim that has the proper bolt pattern (which I don't know what the size/length are as some 4-bolt patterns are wider on other cars)?

To clarify, I really need to know what information I should have other than the bolt pattern size and size of the kumho tire to shop around for a rim. I plan on looking around locally for a cheap rim that will fit this tire and use it as a spare tire.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think one thing you need to look at is the offset of the wheel if you're buying it blind. I recently upgraded to 205/50-16s. I bought the 14" steel wheel that Tire Rack sells for $41.00 as a spare previously and it fits fine with the offset being about 5mm different from stock. I don't have the patience to do the junkyard / tire shop route so I figure that 40 bucks is a good investment that I know will work right the first time. Around here at least, I probably won't get much cheaper or it'll take me $20 in gas to find it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think one thing you need to look at is the offset of the wheel if you're buying it blind. I recently upgraded to 205/50-16s. I bought the 14" steel wheel that Tire Rack sells for $41.00 as a spare previously and it fits fine with the offset being about 5mm different from stock. I don't have the patience to do the junkyard / tire shop route so I figure that 40 bucks is a good investment that I know will work right the first time. Around here at least, I probably won't get much cheaper or it'll take me $20 in gas to find it.
Can you post a link to that rim? I need a 16 inch rim since the tire I will use as the spare was the OEM kumho 195/50/16.

ONly ones I can find on tirerack are the styled rims wanting $80+shipping for at least one rim. I just need a barebone steel wheelie.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't think Tire Rack sells a 16" steelie direct replacement for the 16" OEM. Maybe there are Kia or other equivalents? You can see the 14" in the Wheels section just by clicking on the "steel wheels" tab after punching in your model info. It gives you the wheel info with offset, etc. that might help. I don't know if the rep at Tire Rack would help you find an alternative or not based on the specs.

I just bought the 14" steelie and the cheapest 175/70-14 I could find at a local shop for a spare after I bought the car and chucked the 16" Kumhos when I upgraded a few weeks ago. It might be the same dollars to go that route versus trying to get the equivalent 16" rim if you're not going to the salvage yard ( which may not have anything ). For me, it was a little over 90 bucks total for both and I didn't spend four hours online or on the phone and a half hour each way going someplace that didn't have the right wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts