Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of stuck right now with my 2011 Elantra. The spare key that came with the car doesn't work in my vehicle and when I try to get a replacement from the dealership, whatever info they have on my key as it relates to my VIN number does not work. I have tried four keys so far and they all don't work.

Has this ever happened to anyone who got a car with a spare key that doesn't work and the dealership can't cut you a key because they have the wrong info? What do I do in this situation? The dealership (Hyundai Village in Danvers, MA) says that they can't help me and they want to charge me a ton of money to replace the whole key setup... I don't see why I should have to pay this amount of money when I just want a spare key and it's the company's fault that this doesn't work.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I would call and ask the locksmith but yes. They may have keys they can program to the car too.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Wish people would post where they are, but if you are in MA, there is no immobilizer, so no chip in the blank key.

(Might be wrong about that - the Accent only has an Immobilizer in Canada, the E might have one in the USA).

It may or may not be a laser-cut key (center grooves), but ...
2013 HYUNDAI ELANTRA key | HYUNDAI remote keyless entry - car keys

High Security Laser Key Cut Service Lexus Key Cut service

The link above should be able to do it for you for $55 with a photo of your key and required authentication info.

The locksmith can't program the key, but the dealer can - usually for $58.

(But you shouldn't have to pay for any of this since they messed up in the first place.)

(I suspect what happened is they gave you the "master" key and key code from the wrong vehicle - so only the "spare" key that they had was correct for your car, but since the codes match the key that doesn't open your vehicle, they can't open the car.

Local locksmith can probably cut the key, but might be more than the online link above.

·
22,788 Posts
I see no acceptable excuse that the dealer can offer. He owes you a key. Plain and simple. Bottom line: you bought the car from them. Two keys that operate every function on that vehicle were included. Unfortunately, through someone's error there, you only received one correct key.

I'd wager that there is someone, somewhere, running around town with a 2nd key and doesn't know it will not work on their car. Probably YOUR key that they have. PDI mix up, possibly, while they were prepping new cars off the transport. You, sir, are owed one key. One "functional" key. Again, bottom line!!!!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'd wager that there is someone, somewhere, running around town with a 2nd key and doesn't know it will not work on their car. Probably YOUR key that they have. PDI mix up, possibly, while they were prepping new cars off the transport. You, sir, are owed one key. One "functional" key. Again, bottom line!!!!
Bingo!!! The problem is that I don't think dealers cut keys anymore - they can order them from the key codes, but apparently the OP got the wrong codes (probably along with that OTHER person, that will get a rude surprise if he ever loses his keys and needs a replacement).

Fortunately, locksmiths and the service above CAN still cut keys, so you need to go that route and have the dealer re-imburse you for the cost and throw in some extras for your inconvenience.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yes call around to local locksmiths, they should have the blanks as well. Many are mobile and some are still reasonable. I had one come out last year when the ignition lock cylinder on the Nissan refused to turn. They only charged $125 and that included removing and servicing the lock cylinder and cutting a new chipped key. They cut the key by Vin number.

f you can find one with a shop they should be able to do the key for around $25 since Elantra key is not chipped.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
When I bought my Gen Coupe with the push button start I had to ask for a second FOB. Don't know if they were trying to screw me or just forgot.

The car I had before that I got used at a Ford dealer and it had the FOB for keyless entry and a chipped key. I had to ask there too for a second key and FOB.

·
22,788 Posts
Interesting. Wife's first Tucson (2008) came with one key fob. We asked where the other one was. "In the car's file jacket." But they couldn't find it. Anywhere. So the salesman goes over to where they keep all the keys in some locking, electronic cabinet and pulls out a cardboard box of extra fobs. (How did they get so many extra's? :rolleyes:)

So, he is fishing around inside this cardboard box among "what appears to be" 20-30 fobs. Suddenly, he finds a match. Not a key, just a fob. "Be right back." Goes to the service department and has both "new" and "spare" fobs programmed and an extra key cut.

I believe patrmac04's key is somewhere between the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits. Lost forever.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Interesting. Wife's first Tucson (2008) came with one key fob. We asked where the other one was. "In the car's file jacket." But they couldn't find it. Anywhere.
Good chance you should report the dealer.

Here's what's going on, IMHO. Those fobs cost (the customer) somewhere on the order of $150-$200 between part cost and programming.

Dealer is only giving one Fob per vehicle. If the customer doesn't realize it, he comes back and asks the parts department for another Fob. Dealer charges him $200, but dealers cost is only the tech's time for the programming, b/c he is using one of the fobs that SHOULD have gone with the vehicle initially (maybe the EXACT fob that should have gone with the vehicle). Same situation if the FOB is lost later - the dealer is charging the customer for the new part, but saving his costs b/c he doesn't have to even pay wholesale for the replacement fob.

Some things are negotiable - i.e. not uncommon for a dealer to offer 4 free oil changes to make a sale, but try not to do so if he can sell the car without mentioning it, but this goes a bit beyond that into truly unethical and possibly illegal.

·
22,788 Posts
What is that old caveat? Buyer Beware? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Good point: If you bought new, you should have gotten two keys and fobs.

If you bought used - you have a case against the seller, as he mis-represented to you that he was providing two keys that work in the car, but OTOH - he could have just as easily said the previous owner lost one of the keys so you only get one. It was an error on his part not verifying both keys worked before he sold it, but that was the only error by him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts