Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading and researching for weeks I finally got off my butt and went for a test drive today in a GT Sport with the Tech package and DCT. It was great! I'm really impressed by the car. I want one. I just don't want that one, a red one. The only one in the entire San Diego metro area. The only one for 300 miles.

What's up with Hyundai's stocking of this vehicle? They're not moving that fast, I've been watching inventory for weeks and there's only been one available for a couple hundred miles and it's been on the lot for weeks now. They just don't seem to be stocking the dealers with them. Anyone have any idea on how they allocate stock to different dealers in different areas?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dealers are independent from Hyundai. You can be a dealer, your cat, dog, grandpa... Dealers decide what to BUY from Hyundai and then resale it to you.
I have same issue in Ontario; some dealers bought only ONE GT Sport Ultimate (top of the line model). One dealer kept it in showroom not allowing anybody to drive it. Other two allowed drive around the block only. When I came to do longer test drive (as agreed with dealer) all 3 cars have been already sold and not in their inventory.

Dealers do not want to invest in top models to be sitting on the lot for months. They want fast sale with big profit...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealers are independent from Hyundai. You can be a dealer, your cat, dog, grandpa... Dealers decide what to BUY from Hyundai and then resale it to you.
I have same issue in Ontario; some dealers bought only ONE GT Sport Ultimate (top of the line model). One dealer kept it in showroom not allowing anybody to drive it. Other two allowed drive around the block only. When I came to do longer test drive (as agreed with dealer) all 3 cars have been already sold and not in their inventory.

Dealers do not want to invest in top models to be sitting on the lot for months. They want fast sale with big profit...
I had to order my orange Ultimate to be built. There was none in Canada period. Now 8 week wait sigh.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had to order my orange Ultimate to be built. There was none in Canada period. Now 8 week wait sigh.
Do not be sad. You will get car EXACTLY you want and (hopefully) car will not be used for test drives. Tell your dealer you do not want to see more than 10Km on it or you will not buy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've talked to 3 dealers here and not one has given me the option to order a car. The best I've gotten is "We might be able to do a dealer swap". One salesman just shrugged at me when I asked if they might be getting a GT Sport anytime soon. Talking with Hyundai dealers around here has been completely unlike any car buying experience I've ever had before. That's why I posted looking for info as this just seems odd to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that the Elantra GT Sport has a better chassis than the Forte SX. I haven't driven both, but I definitely like the way the PD handles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that the Elantra GT Sport has a better chassis than the Forte SX. I haven't driven both, but I definitely like the way the PD handles.
I haven't driven the Forte SX either, but they are basically the same car, just different logos and some minor cosmetic changes.

If you can't find a red Elantra GT Sport, the Forte SX is your next best option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't driven the Forte SX either, but they are basically the same car, just different logos and some minor cosmetic changes.

If you can't find a red Elantra GT Sport, the Forte SX is your next best option.
Everything I've read says the GT Sport has multilink rear suspension and the Forte SX does not. That's more than a cosmetic change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, I'm out here, too. I haven't seen any! I've seen a few base (non-sport) models out there, though.
I've seen a few non-Sport models driving around San Diego, too. There's a GT Sport without the tech package that's for sale but if I'm buying a new car in 2018 I want all the bells and whistles and that cool sunroof.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well hopefully you can find a red one soon. It is a gem for sure.
I would not call it a gem. Hyundai's red is a dull red.
I wanted red but when I see it in person I rejected it right away. Really good red has Mazda and new Civic.
Only silver and light blue from Hyundai are metallic paints. All other are non metallic and dull. Black looks cool but it is not my color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In regards to dealers stocking vehicles, most car manufacturers have allocations for models and will not let a dealer order more of that model until new allocations are assigned. I worked for a major luxury car brand and we received complaints constantly about the allocation process from people trying to spend $100,000+ on a car, and I agree it made no sense. It forces dealers to trade inventory to get the sales which causes a poor consumer experience, in my opinion. It also places limits on consumers custom ordering their car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts