Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the key fobs for our 02 Elantra GT stopped working and the dealer charged me $70 just to tell me they couldn't reprogram it. They want $162 for a new one plus $60-$70 to program it (Cdn). Any recommended alternative source for a fob (somewhere online perhaps)? Thanks.

Sideline: It's been amazing how many little (but expensive) things have gone wrong with this vehicle within a couple years of the warranty expiring (only 67K kms on the vehicle). Ironic that there were virtually zero problems within the warranty period.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just use the key to unlock the door.... there,,,, I just saved you some $200+.

I'll take a #6 with mayo only, and large size that with a Coke at Wendys', only cost you maybe $7.... :banana:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, found a used fob on ebay and ordered it. Just using the key results in the car alarm going off if the wife used her working fob to lock the doors - that's not a great design I'd say.

In the meantime found the instructions for programming one using the ETACS unit so I probably could have got my existing fob working using that method (it does emit a light and battery is new). Sigh, all the lazy stealership did was try cloning the working fob and didn't even bother with the ETACS unit. That's the last business of mine they'll ever get. BTW, link for programming 2001-2003 Elantras can be found at http://egt.gwebworks.com/garage4.shtml.

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (susido @ Jun 28 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336793
One of the key fobs for our 02 Elantra GT stopped working and the dealer charged me $70 just to tell me they couldn't reprogram it. They want $162 for a new one plus $60-$70 to program it (Cdn). Any recommended alternative source for a fob (somewhere online perhaps)? Thanks.

Sideline: It's been amazing how many little (but expensive) things have gone wrong with this vehicle within a couple years of the warranty expiring (only 67K kms on the vehicle). Ironic that there were virtually zero problems within the warranty period.

Check you car insurance policy. Mine covers replacement for lost keyless entry with NO deductible. Wouldn't have known it if I didn't read the policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts