Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research on soundproofing the doors, hood, trunk, roof, and wheel wells. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a cheaper alternative to the big name products that provide a decent level of dampening.

Also if anyone could provide a DIY on disassembly of the door/etc. that'd be appreciated!

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
I use carpeting underlayiment. but be aware if you live in an area with a lot of rain/salt it can get wet. An alternative would be rubber mat that you can get at stores like Tractor supply by the foot. It's ~1/4" thick and should prived some level of dampening.

Door panel removal is pretty much the same Get a tool! You can get then at any parts store...

Even WalMart has them. You can "feel" around for the points that are secure, insert the tool (carefully) and pry out the clips quite easily. Or, a firm grasp and pull will also loosen the panel.

There are also screws: one in the door handle, maybe two at the rear of the panel, and 2-3 along the bottom of the panel. Use a GOOD screwdriver; amazingly, the ones (also at) Tractor Supply for $1.99 are amazingly good! There are also screws hidden under the trim panels (door grab, etc) but someone else would have to tell you exactly. These may be large screws, so a bigger driver is in order to avoid damaging the heads.

When pulling, don't forget wires!! Window switches, mirror wires etc are often tied to the panel, so go carefully and look for connectors.

BTW, now would be a very good time to upgrade the speakers...;)

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
BTW, attach the padding with 3M double sided tape. I attached some driving lights to my grille 3 years ago, and they are still there. One burned out and I had to really PULL to get it free! It's grey "extra strong" and holds things forever.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use carpeting underlayiment. but be aware if you live in an area with a lot of rain/salt it can get wet. An alternative would be rubber mat that you can get at stores like Tractor supply by the foot. It's ~1/4" thick and should prived some level of dampening.

Door panel removal is pretty much the same Get a tool! You can get then at any parts store...

Even WalMart has them. You can "feel" around for the points that are secure, insert the tool (carefully) and pry out the clips quite easily. Or, a firm grasp and pull will also loosen the panel.

There are also screws: one in the door handle, maybe two at the rear of the panel, and 2-3 along the bottom of the panel. Use a GOOD screwdriver; amazingly, the ones (also at) Tractor Supply for $1.99 are amazingly good! There are also screws hidden under the trim panels (door grab, etc) but someone else would have to tell you exactly. These may be large screws, so a bigger driver is in order to avoid damaging the heads.

When pulling, don't forget wires!! Window switches, mirror wires etc are often tied to the panel, so go carefully and look for connectors.

BTW, now would be a very good time to upgrade the speakers...;)
I was definitely thinking about swapping out the speakers for something better when I decide to do this soundproofing. I was checking out my door panels earlier and I don't think there's a screw/bolt on the door handle anymore. Which makes me worry that there might be changes to the speaker sizes/etc. I'm not too familiar with audio on vehicles either, so I'm worried about compatibility issues with a 2018, as there are small differences than the 2015-2017.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,767 Posts
If you are going to take the time to do it dont skip the important areas to save a few $ or you wont get noticeable results. There are a lot of products out there I think most common is Dynamat but it will run you about $300-400 in material to do it all.
Take a look at these as well

Shark racing has a pre cut kit for $230
2015-2018 Sonata DIY Soundproofing Kit - Shark Racing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-...ofing-Material-Mat-Auto-50-SQFT-/302545173871

it is a lot of work, and dont shortcut it if you are doing it do it all, floors, doors etc.
IMO my 2017 Sport is pretty quiet and has little road noise compared to many other sedans, especially for a car in that class

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to take the time to do it dont skip the important areas to save a few $ or you wont get noticeable results. There are a lot of products out there I think most common is Dynamat but it will run you about $300-400 in material to do it all.
Take a look at these as well

Shark racing has a pre cut kit for $230
2015-2018 Sonata DIY Soundproofing Kit - Shark Racing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX2C8DC/?tag=soundproofniche-20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-...ofing-Material-Mat-Auto-50-SQFT-/302545173871

it is a lot of work, and dont shortcut it if you are doing it do it all, floors, doors etc.
IMO my 2017 Sport is pretty quiet and has little road noise compared to many other sedans, especially for a car in that class
On that ebay link, do you think one set of those would be enough for the car, or would 2 sets be better to be safe?

I was planning on doing doors, hood, trunk and spare tire, roof, wheel wells, back seat bench, and the one i'm scared of doing most, and might be okay with skipping for now would be the floors. Main reason why is because moving to coilovers AND 19" wheels has made the car noticeably louder. I think I'm content with how it is if it were stock, but would like some additional soundproofing due to the mods.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have used Peel and Seal in various cars over the years.
Far cheaper than dynamat and there is zero rubber or chemical smell, even when it's well over 100* during the summer.
Also doesn't peel off by itself in the intense heat.
Available with or without the aluminum backing.
It can be easily cut with heavy scissors.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-...s-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

I have also used carpet padding or underlay behind door panels and under the trunk carpet with good results.
The one part of most cars that never tends to have a lot of soundproofing is the roof but I've only pulled the headliner on one car to completely cover the underside of the roof.
It was too much work for me to do it on other cars and since there is nothing but plastic clips everywhere I didn't want to risk breaking a tab on a part and having a squeak or rattle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used Peel and Seal in various cars over the years.
Far cheaper than dynamat and there is zero rubber or chemical smell, even when it's well over 100* during the summer.
Also doesn't peel off by itself in the intense heat.
Available with or without the aluminum backing.
It can be easily cut with heavy scissors.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-...s-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

I have also used carpet padding or underlay behind door panels and under the trunk carpet with good results.
The one part of most cars that never tends to have a lot of soundproofing is the roof but I've only pulled the headliner on one car to completely cover the underside of the roof.
It was too much work for me to do it on other cars and since there is nothing but plastic clips everywhere I didn't want to risk breaking a tab on a part and having a squeak or rattle.
Ive heard of peel and seal but some videos seem to advise caution with it. https://youtu.be/7hWDx6rt6Xc

I dont know how different the product is, but U-Seal seemed to be a better alternative from this video: https://youtu.be/xqMj5iRa5A4

Everything is still in research phase right now as I am definitely trying to get the most soundproofing for the least amount of money, and hassle (now or in the future).

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
I used plain old carpet pad. It's already on the underside of the carpeting anyway, and an extra layer make it even more soundproof.

You can use it in DRY places: under the trunk lid, around the trunk, under the carpet. Don't recommend it for doors. It will give you the most bang for the $. Won't make the car as silent as Dynamat, but also doesn't cost a lot.

Don't use it anywhere it will get wet. That way the only expensive stuff is what you put in areas that will get wet.

Reactions: SJ408

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ive heard of peel and seal but some videos seem to advise caution with it. https://youtu.be/7hWDx6rt6Xc

I dont know how different the product is, but U-Seal seemed to be a better alternative from this video: https://youtu.be/xqMj5iRa5A4

Everything is still in research phase right now as I am definitely trying to get the most soundproofing for the least amount of money, and hassle (now or in the future).
I've had zero issues with Peel and Seal in at least half a dozen cars over the years.
Easy to cut and easy to apply.
If the surface is clean and dry it will stick through even the hottest summers.
Definite difference once it's been applied.
It's been in my 2002 Altima for about 15 years with zero issues.
That guy must not have thoroughly cleaned the surface before applying it.
Too bad I didn't see this thread over the weekend.
I had the back seat apart on my Altima to get to the fuel pump assembly and I could have taken plenty of pictures for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used Soundskins and put it all up in my 18's trunk when I installed my 12" sub/amp combo. I'm super impressed with it. I've used Dynamat in the past and this is just as good but wayy cheaper. You could hardly tell I have a sub in the back with how well it deadens rattling, road noise, etc. I'm planning on installing it in my doors next.

·
Registered
187 Posts
boils down

It all boils down to hyundai getting their act together when the car is on the assembly line and insulate these vechicles. Than we wouldn't even have this topic. Its been going on too long now. Have to think twice before I buy another one. Other than that and some suspension improvement it is one nice vechicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It all boils down to hyundai getting their act together when the car is on the assembly line and insulate these vechicles. Than we wouldn't even have this topic. Its been going on too long now. Have to think twice before I buy another one. Other than that and some suspension improvement it is one nice vechicle.
I was pretty happy with the road noise and insulation prior to installing the soundskins. Pretty good for the price IMO

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was also pretty content with the road noise before any of my modifications, but the thinner tires and rougher suspension made it a lot louder. I'll definitely look into all the suggested products and see what I believe to be the most effective for the money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sound Deadening

Just doing the doors are a good start and will deaden quite a bit of your road noise. (The Sonata has pretty good insulation in the floor pan.) But you can take it a step further by doing the wheel wells also. I did the back side of the plastic fender liners on my 2012 Elantra and that brought a significant improvement.

Soundskins / Dynamat (or equivalent) will be expensive, but $400-$600 is a cheap price to pay in the long run IMHO. Soundskins is about $8 per square foot, Dynamat is around $9 per square foot. There are lesser quality (and cost) alternatives that may work in your situation as well. Shark Racing has a nice die cut kit for Sonata, around $360 including 4 doors, hood pad, trunk lid and floor and fender liners too. 2015-2018 Sonata DIY Soundproofing Kit - Shark Racing

Just remember, it's a lot of work to do this. Think it through, plan it out, and enjoy the results. It's totally worth the effort.

RB

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'm going to go with one pack of Noico 50mil and one pack of Noico 80mil. Cheapest I've found so far and still pretty good quality from reviews. ~86 sq/ft should be enough for me to play around with since I don't really plan on dissecting the floor carpet much anyways.

50mil @50sq/ft: $66.99
80mil @36sq/ft: $65.60

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is a good link with information on Sound Deadeners:

www . sounddeadenershowdown . com

I do not have enough posts to post the actual link yet, Sorry.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
330 Posts
I used "Hushmat" to do all 4 door and bottom of the trunk. All door have insulation behind door trim so I had installer put insulation on metal part and behind speakers. I still have few sheets left over but I will get another kit to do floor. Hushmat works well for me, it's less than Dynamat (which I had on my prev car), use to cut and install, I got it from here
https://www.classicparts.com/1941-9...on_Damping-Kit-20-12x-23/productinfo/39-0988/
and my local dealer wouldn't match the price even they are both authorized dealers. We all have are own preferences so I'm pretty sure you will find what you like.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts