Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been surfing around on this website and couldnt find what i was looking for so i figured id post a question. my brakelights went out at the same time, checked fuses, fine, checked brakelight switch and it fell apart so i replaced it and nothing, so i bypassed the brakelight switch and pulled the tail lights and the connections on them and wires look fine, would anyone know the exact location of the brakelight switch ground? the wire just runs into a cluster of wires. any help would be great, thankyou

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't know where the ground wire is specifically, you may be able to ground a bulb yourself for testing purposes. To further aid, there are schematics available on www.hmaservice.com This is Hyundai's service/repair site and as long as you register with them for free, you have access to repair info and schematics, etc. To best view the site though, it is recommended to use Explorer for the browser, otherwise you may encounter viewing issues.

Good Luck -and don't forget to update us with your findings.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that cluster of wires is a box of relays...its a way of tidying things up but you're screwed if it fails. i think its called the ETACS module...if you remove the leftmost storage bin on the driver's side its right behind that. should have a ground there, but my memory is a little hazy on that detail.

i would try to bypass that relay module to see if lights will come on...just check that the brakes go into that thing, like i said bit hazy on details.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If it's a Plain Jane '02, the circuit is very simple.
See attached.

There is no "Ground" associated with the brake switch; it only handles the hot side from the fuse.

There is a separate Ground for each rear light housing, shown in pic below.

Use your tester to make sure there is 12V getting to the switch (and out on the other side).
If you can confirm the voltages, post back and we'll go from there.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts