Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving on the parkway and my car died while driving. Car started driving weird, Battery light came on and it struggled hard to stay started and then died.

He’s what I remember happened.

While I was driving I put the AC on for a bit. Then shut it off, then the AC came back on by itself and I shut it off and this happened about 3-4 times before it just stayed off..loose wiring in dash board maybe?

So after that I was diving on the parkway and put the AC on again. About 2-3 second in my ABS and ESC OFF light came on and car started driving funny..almost like there was an extreme load on the car. So I turned AC off and the lights turned off. Car still was driving a little funny, shifting weird and still sounded odd. At this point I just wanted to get home. So As I continued driving the battery light came on and car was about to stall. I pulled over on the side of the road and turned the car off. Checked battery and there was a little corrosion around the positive terminal. Checked voltage and battery was around 11.6 (note this battery is brand new) Tried to start car and it wouldn’t start. So I Had to get jumped by my sister. So I jumped the car, started it, took the cables off and the voltage started dropping as if the car was only running on the battery. Alternator didn’t seem to be charging the battery. My guess is obviously something is going on with the charging system. (Alternator)

Car has 105,000 on it with original alternator.

So my questions are

What do you think happened?
Do you think some short within the dash could have blown a fuse for the charging system?
Is there any kind of fuse between battery and alternator that could of blown that I should check?
What should be my first steps so resolve this issue?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My gut tells me your alternator is dead or just about dead. The voltage regulator sounds like it's gone, which can cause all sorts of funky electrical issues like what you are describing.

105,000 miles on the original alternator is pretty much all you should expect, so I'd start by replacing that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gut tells me your alternator is dead or just about dead. The voltage regulator sounds like it's gone, which can cause all sorts of funky electrical issues like what you are describing.

105,000 miles on the original alternator is pretty much all you should expect, so I'd start by replacing that.
That’s where I’m going to start. Do you happen to know where the voltage regulator is and how difficult it is to change.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's likely contained within your alternator. At least most vehicles I've ever worked on had the voltage regulator as an internal component inside the alternator.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's likely contained within your alternator. At least most vehicles I've ever worked on had the voltage regulator as an internal component inside the alternator.
Thanks so much. I’m going to check everything after work today. Do you think I should take the alternator out and get the alternator tested at advance auto parts before just replacing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's your call I guess, not a bad idea. I've always been the type to just trust a hunch and replace the part if I feel confident it's the issue. Worst case scenario you have a new alternator and battery, and you're left to diagnose some other wiring/ground issues.

Good luck with it.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
So I was driving on the parkway and my car died while driving. Car started driving weird, Battery light came on and it struggled hard to stay started and then died.

He’s what I remember happened.

While I was driving I put the AC on for a bit. Then shut it off, then the AC came back on by itself and I shut it off and this happened about 3-4 times before it just stayed off..loose wiring in dash board maybe?

So after that I was diving on the parkway and put the AC on again. About 2-3 second in my ABS and ESC OFF light came on and car started driving funny..almost like there was an extreme load on the car. So I turned AC off and the lights turned off. Car still was driving a little funny, shifting weird and still sounded odd. At this point I just wanted to get home. So As I continued driving the battery light came on and car was about to stall. I pulled over on the side of the road and turned the car off. Checked battery and there was a little corrosion around the positive terminal. Checked voltage and battery was around 11.6 (note this battery is brand new) Tried to start car and it wouldn’t start. So I Had to get jumped by my sister. So I jumped the car, started it, took the cables off and the voltage started dropping as if the car was only running on the battery. Alternator didn’t seem to be charging the battery. My guess is obviously something is going on with the charging system. (Alternator)

Car has 105,000 on it with original alternator.

So my questions are

What do you think happened?
Do you think some short within the dash could have blown a fuse for the charging system?
Is there any kind of fuse between battery and alternator that could of blown that I should check?
What should be my first steps so resolve this issue?

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like the electrical problems are most likely caused by the charging system. The alternator needs to be checked out.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,296 Posts
Do you think I should take the alternator out and get the alternator tested at advance auto parts before just replacing?
No, it would be better to leave the alternator fitted and take the car and have the complete charging system tested. I'm not sure an auto parts store is the best place to have it done though.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check the voltage between terminals (+ to car body) and voltage between battery and engine (+ to engine). Since the voltage between terminals is too low, you can remove the negative terminal cable to car body and clean both sides. If the voltage stays the same then it's charging system problem. If comes back to 14 volts then also clean the ground wires on the engine

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think I should take the alternator out and get the alternator tested at advance auto parts before just replacing?
No, it would be better to leave the alternator fitted and take the car and have the complete charging system tested. I'm not sure an auto parts store is the best place to have it done though.
So I went and tested it and they said alternator is bad. I went ahead and bought a brand new alternator and replaced it. Brand new Alternator had a burning smell coming droning it after car started heating up but I’m thinking that could be from the Paint and coatings on the alternator? If I still smell it after a day or two I’m guessing somethings up.

Also, I noticed the alternator is extremely hot. Like can’t touch it hot. Is that mainly because on the 06 sonata the alternator is right by the exhaust manifold?

Never really noticed it until now. How hot should that alternator get?

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
I don't ever remember an alternator needing time to burn off paint or coating??

I would be seriously wondering what is wrong with this alternator.
Is it the right one?
Is it charging?
Overheat??
Ask the auto parts store where you bought it from??
Take it back and get another one??

Sorry, I panic when things do not go right

·
Registered
163 Posts
.... Brand new Alternator had a burning smell coming droning it after car started heating up ...Also, I noticed the alternator is extremely hot. Like can’t touch it hot. ..

It's because your battery was pretty much fully discharged because of the failure of your original alternator. You really should have used a battery charger to charge your battery back up first. Charging a fully discharged battery is a lot of stress on most alternators.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.... Brand new Alternator had a burning smell coming droning it after car started heating up ...Also, I noticed the alternator is extremely hot. Like can’t touch it hot. ..

It's because your battery was pretty much fully discharged because of the failure of your original alternator. You really should have used a battery charger to charge your battery back up first. Charging a fully discharged battery is a lot of stress on most alternators.
I’m not sure if the battery was fully discharged. Definitely drained maybe, but with the same battery in the car, it started by itself without me even jumping it to initially start it.

I’m wondering if I should take the alternator back and get another one?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...I’m wondering if I should take the alternator back and get another one?

I think that might be a good idea. Part store alternators (and water pumps, and a bunch of other stuff) have been hit and miss for me.
My only issue with that is loosening the tensioner pulley again. Mine is stripped..

You have and tricks to try and loosen it

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw your other thread on the stripped tensioner pulley bolt issue...you're not having much luck with this alternator fiasco!

When you say it's stripped, do you mean you rounded the head off the bolt? Or the threads are stripped? Any pictures to share?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts