Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 Sonata GLS, I do not have the nav unit.
So I have noticed this issue on and off since the day I bought my car.

Today driving home, I have my USB drive in so I could listen to my songs. When I looked down I noticed that the time was frozen and the song title and name was not moving across the screen like it normally does.

If i adjust the volume the time catches up however the song and time freeze a couple seconds later.

I was waiting a stop light and I adjusted the volume so the song time caught up and while i had my foot on the brake I noticed everything was working fine, the time was working and the song title moved across the screen. As soon as I pushed down on the gas and was moving the time froze again.

So I did I test, I went to a parking lot, I wasnt moving and I adjusted the volume so the time would reset. As I was sitting the time was working good. I sat for 30 seconds and all was good. I then proceeded to drive the car and about 2 seconds of driving the time froze again.

I then shut off the car, and then I put the usb back in and whether I was driving or in park the time was working fine. Restarting the car seemed to fix it.

Now my issue is, although it fixed it now, this problem will happen again as it has been happening on and off since the day i got the car.

Has anyone had an experience with this issue? Know of any fix.

I also noticed sometime when I listen to XM, when a new song plays the old song stays on the screen unless i adjust the volume. Not sure if this is connected.

Any feedback would be great

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem with bluetooth playing songs stored on my cell phone. It seems to me (but I don't know) that what is occurring is that the data is not flowing to the head unit. Thus, play stops until enough data is buffered into the head unit to play something (i.e., continue). Just like Youtube videos which stop if your internet download speed experiences a slow-down.

I was thinking of plugging into USB to see if the problem will correct. However, reading your post, I bet not. However, I will still try.

I would likewise encourage you to try playing songs via bluetooth to see if you still have the same problem.

Maybe we will both be able to compare notes. Maybe others will chime in, too.

I just got my car, and this is one problem I do not like and would want to pursue under warranty if there is no convenient work-around.

I will keep an eye out for whether this occurs when the car is still. I never tried to observe whether the issue might relate to the car being in motion.

The starts/stops are of very short duration (like maybe 1 second). They are sporadic when I drive, as in maybe every 10-15 minutes on average (but this is way too often).

I don't know if you can edit the title of this thread, but if so, maybe you could revise it so it does not seem limited to playing songs via USB. It is more than that, I am afraid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the 'freeze' problem on USB and XM as well (dunno about bluetooth issue as I do not use it).
I (that's right...me...all by myself) figured out a simple fix...just 2 steps.

1. Turn the key to the 'Accessory' position and wait until the instrument panel lights up (takes about 4 seconds).

2. Start the car.

If I don't do this - 90% of the time I have the 'freeze'. Have never had the problem if I start it my way.

Hope this helps you guys.

Have 2013 Sonata GLS - no Nav

·
Registered
149 Posts
I took my 2012 into the dealership for similar issues.

They replaced the head unit - all good now!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had the 'freeze' problem on USB and XM as well (dunno about bluetooth issue as I do not use it).

1. Turn the key to the 'Accessory' position and wait until the instrument panel lights up (takes about 4 seconds).

2. Start the car.

If I don't do this - 90% of the time I have the 'freeze'. Have never had the problem if I start it my way.

OMG it works. You are a genius. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts

2. Start the car.

How would you do that if you have a push-button start?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I stopped by the dealership today, and told the service manager about this fix. I told him that I could live with it and replacing the radio was not necessary.

He called me a couple of hours ago and said that he spoke with Hyundai. They told him that the new radio has an update that will fix the problem. Based on this information he said he wants to go ahead and replace it.

I'll drop the car off Thursday.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I stopped by the dealership today, and told the service manager about this fix. I told him that I could live with it and replacing the radio was not necessary.

He called me a couple of hours ago and said that he spoke with Hyundai. They told him that the new radio has an update that will fix the problem. Based on this information he said he wants to go ahead and replace it.

I'll drop the car off Thursday.
I have a similar problem. Did the new radio fix the problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts