Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every week since the first of April, I have been checking the nationwide supply of 2011 Sonatas on Cars.com. Today they list a total of 5788. That is the smallest number since I started checking. The highest was about 8100 at the end of April. In early June there were about 7300 and there has been a fairly steady decline since then. I know Hyundai is working on increasing their production capacity but I guess demand is still outpacing supply.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Maybe they are not producing regular Sonatas right now and making turbos and hybrids?

·
Registered
141 Posts
We just placed a deposit on a white limited here in southern Michigan.
As of this time none are to be found.
From the Emails we have been getting it seems like most of the dealers are getting new allotments next week.
We are keping are fingers crossed that someone will have are car.
This shortage is also reflecting in the price...dealers are playing tough .

·
1,914 Posts
Hyundai ran out of wheels for the Limited's and SE's, which is why mostly all you see are GLS's and the other models are hard to find. They should start showing up in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE (Montag311 @ Aug 6 2010, 05:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347655
Every week since the first of April, I have been checking the nationwide supply of 2011 Sonatas on Cars.com. Today they list a total of 5788. That is the smallest number since I started checking. The highest was about 8100 at the end of April. In early June there were about 7300 and there has been a fairly steady decline since then. I know Hyundai is working on increasing their production capacity but I guess demand is still outpacing supply.
The answer is simple they are selling like hotcakes, in the past 2 days i've seen only in my city and in a distance no more than 10 kms around the impressive amount of 38 units including some with US license number plates,and on my street there's already 2 ,and soon 3 because i'm trading the Elantra for this car,so this 2011 Sonata is a success for Hyundai.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dude, seriously! The only reason i have my Sonata right now is because i bought the test drive car they had. They cut a SUBSTANTIAL chunk of money off the price though, and it only had 800 miles so i jumped on it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I believe car companies now have learned they can't mass produce cars to have a inventory of everything. They must make cars as they sell and try to forecast demand.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Aug 8 2010, 11:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347979
I believe car companies now have learned they can't mass produce cars to have a inventory of everything. They must make cars as they sell and try to forecast demand.
I'm sure it takes 6 months to get a handle on the ratio of LX/SE/GLS plus colors and packages. Once they zero in on demand, there should be more cars available. Throwing the Turbo in the mix can upset things again.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (californiadude99 @ Aug 13 2010, 01:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349164
I had three dealers fighting to get my business, the one that budged for me actually took a $50 LOSS on the car!! I bought my beauty in April, 2010.
Im not doubting you, but how do you know exactly how much they lost?

Invoice price is not the same thing as dealer cost. There are behind the scenes incentives, financing profits, and dealer holdback values which are unpublicized that affect how much a dealer makes off you. NO dealer could operate at a loss, they HAD to have made money somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I promise you. As someone who works with a Hyundai dealer. They did not fight to lose $50. They did not fight to even break even. But I'm glad you got a good deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Aug 8 2010, 04:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347913
We just placed a deposit on a white limited here in southern Michigan.
As of this time none are to be found.
From the Emails we have been getting it seems like most of the dealers are getting new allotments next week.
We are keping are fingers crossed that someone will have are car.
This shortage is also reflecting in the price...dealers are playing tough .
I've put in a deposit for a Black Limited w/ Nav mid May. Dealer advised that he already has a VIN for me. Fast forward to current date.....I have yet to receive my car. Anyone know what's been going on with the production and shipments of Limiteds w/ Nav. I'm in New York City. Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Same problem here. I've looked at 4 dealerships the first part of August in ND and MT. 3 had no Limited Sonatas and the third in Billings, MT was working up the paperwork for selling the black Limited we were sitting inside looking at. Hard to find!!!
:whistling: Guess I'll be trading my 2006 Sonata Limited for a Subaru Legacy soon. :whistling:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ordered my Pearl White Limited/Nav on July 6th and was told yesterday that the delivery date is August 24th, I sure hope my dealer isn't Bull---------me. Have my deluxe strut brace and mud flaps from Shark Racing sitting in my garage waiting to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (californiadude99 @ Aug 13 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349164
I had three dealers fighting to get my business, the one that budged for me actually took a $50 LOSS on the car!! I bought my beauty in April, 2010.
I still can't understand the pricing on cars. I have a "corporate lease" 2008 Sonota that came off lease this year & only had 24,600 miles on it. I got it very, very cheap (approx 1/4 the sticker price), I liked it so much, it was for my wife!
I just bought a 2009 Azera limited, that hadn't ever been titled (new car with 165 miles on it) the sticker price was over $33,400 & the dealer knocked of $10,000 & paid taxes & title, then we started haggling on the final money that I have to give difference.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Aug 18 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350210
I ordered my Pearl White Limited/Nav on July 6th and was told yesterday that the delivery date is August 24th, I sure hope my dealer isn't Bull---------me. Have my deluxe strut brace and mud flaps from Shark Racing sitting in my garage waiting to install.
Considering several people on here have been waiting 2-3 months for their car with no delivery date yet, your estimate of August 24 seems pretty good.

I have my heart set on a Venetian Red SE with the Nav/Sunroof package. I am already anticipating having to wait a very long time to get one of those, but my hope is that by the time I am ready to buy (October), maybe they will be more caught up on production.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (chemman21 @ Aug 19 2010, 01:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350358
I still can't understand the pricing on cars. I have a "corporate lease" 2008 Sonota that came off lease this year & only had 24,600 miles on it. I got it very, very cheap (approx 1/4 the sticker price), I liked it so much, it was for my wife!
I just bought a 2009 Azera limited, that hadn't ever been titled (new car with 165 miles on it) the sticker price was over $33,400 & the dealer knocked of $10,000 & paid taxes & title, then we started haggling on the final money that I have to give difference.
The best analogy I can give you about dealer pricing is to picture one of those long, thin balloons that clowns use to make balloon animals from.

You blow up the balloon so that there is air in the entire length of the balloon. The air inside the balloon represents profit.

Divide the balloon into 4 different areas. The first area is sale price, the second area is trade-in, the third area is extra dealer installed things like paint protection/anti rust/interior protection/etc, and the fourth area is financing profits.

Now grab one part of the balloon and squeeze it so that all of the air is out of that section of the balloon. What happens? The air moves to another part. Grab two parts and squeeze, and the air moves to one of the other areas.

If you are a good negotiator, you can even let SOME of the air out of the balloon.

The morale of the story is that you cannot get rid of all of the air just be squeezing because the air (profit) will always move to another area, and you cannot let all the air out of the balloon, otherwise you have a soggy piece of rubber and the kiddies (owners of the dealership) will cry.

Despite what ANYONE tells you, no dealer, ever, will sell a car without making some profit somehow. Whether you realize it or know where the profit is coming from, they will make their money back. Its basic economics, they would go out of business if they sold balloons with no air in them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Aug 19 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350430
The best analogy I can give you about dealer pricing is to picture one of those long, thin balloons that clowns use to make balloon animals from.

You blow up the balloon so that there is air in the entire length of the balloon. The air inside the balloon represents profit.

Divide the balloon into 4 different areas. The first area is sale price, the second area is trade-in, the third area is extra dealer installed things like paint protection/anti rust/interior protection/etc, and the fourth area is financing profits.

Now grab one part of the balloon and squeeze it so that all of the air is out of that section of the balloon. What happens? The air moves to another part. Grab two parts and squeeze, and the air moves to one of the other areas.

If you are a good negotiator, you can even let SOME of the air out of the balloon.

The morale of the story is that you cannot get rid of all of the air just be squeezing because the air (profit) will always move to another area, and you cannot let all the air out of the balloon, otherwise you have a soggy piece of rubber and the kiddies (owners of the dealership) will cry.

Despite what ANYONE tells you, no dealer, ever, will sell a car without making some profit somehow. Whether you realize it or know where the profit is coming from, they will make their money back. Its basic economics, they would go out of business if they sold balloons with no air in them.
That was a great analogy.....you should write hallmark cards. :p

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Aug 8 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347930
Hyundai ran out of wheels for the Limited's and SE's, which is why mostly all you see are GLS's and the other models are hard to find. They should start showing up in the next 2 weeks.
Looked at my dealers inventory when I went for an oil change last week.
22-25 Sonatas, almost all (22-23) were GLS. What was peculiar was that most the GLS's had Nav. One even had the Nav but had base wheel covers. Looked like they were really pushing Nav. option on GLS to replace not having LTD Sonatas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts