Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so whenever I would shift the car into park and hit the engine stop button the engine will stop but the electronics stay on and the display screen shows "Place car in Park" So i start the car and shift back into drive then back into Park and I have to do this a few times before it finally shuts off. There was a TSB I found on the forum that states if the shift lever is longer than a certain length that it would cause this. I took this into the dealer who then pulled the shift knob out and measured the shift lever and said it was up to specs and then proceeded to say if it happen again to bring it back in. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (morenar @ Oct 4 2010, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360846
Anyone else have this problem?
Probably the switch then. I read it can be loose or not positioned correctly. I'm going to look for the TSB in case it happens to my car. If this happens after some miles, I'd bet on a loose switch. Just need to read how to remove the knob and boot to tackle it myself. And yes, I'd spray silicone lube once there :grin:. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (morenar @ Oct 4 2010, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360846
For the past month or so whenever I would shift the car into park and hit the engine stop button the engine will stop but the electronics stay on and the display screen shows "Place car in Park" So i start the car and shift back into drive then back into Park and I have to do this a few times before it finally shuts off. There was a TSB I found on the forum that states if the shift lever is longer than a certain length that it would cause this. I took this into the dealer who then pulled the shift knob out and measured the shift lever and said it was up to specs and then proceeded to say if it happen again to bring it back in. Anyone else have this problem?
Same thing happened twice to our SE today and it's not even a week old yet!! Where can I find the TSB about the shifter problem?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had that happen. In my case it was not the rod length. It was that little silver "trigger" button on the front of the gear shift. It was defective and not going into the lock position. Had to have it replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (cdwarrior @ Oct 6 2010, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361649
I had that happen. In my case it was not the rod length. It was that little silver "trigger" button on the front of the gear shift. It was defective and not going into the lock position. Had to have it replaced.
Over the past few weeks, mine has been doing this as well. At first, I thought it had something to do with my opening the door before I shut off the car, but it isn't. It happened to me 3 or 4 times in one day, and I had to turn on the car again, reshift into park, and then it shut off completely. I'll have to bring it in for this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah, it is a clear warranty situation so why not have the dealer resolve it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does the silver gear lock button feel solidly in position when you put it in park? Or does it feel loose? If it's loose, it's not locking correctly, and I would not even drive the car until it's fixed. You don't want to be driving down the freeway at 65, reach for the radio, and accidentally knock the gear shift into reverse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never really checked the silver gear lock when it happened. My wife dropped it off at the dealer yesterday after calling them on Tuesday and complaining since they had already had it in their shop and didn't fix it. She said keep the car until it's fixed! They gave her a Genesis as a loaner in the meantime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts