Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I think my 1990 sonata is dead. When I started the engine this morning it went fine. I shifted to reverse (A/T) and after a few feet, the engine died. It will not start again. All I hear is a click click click while I'm trying to start it. We tried a series connection with another battery from another car but it did not work. My lights can still be turned on and my horn still works. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WHAT ENGINE IS IN YOUR CAR, 4 OR V6

ooops

check the main ground cable at the starter mount, and the main positive one at the starter itself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duke@Nov 2 2004, 08:48 AM
WHAT ENGINE IS IN YOUR CAR, 4 OR V6

ooops

check the main ground cable at the starter mount, and the main positive one at the starter itself
[snapback]2262[/snapback]​

Its a 4. Thanks for the advice. Will try to find the cables. I don't have the manual for the car. Will let you know of developments. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
if the main ground cable is fastened at the sarter bolt, take it off and bolt it to the next bolt up, bolting into the engine block.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by duke@Nov 3 2004, 08:14 AM
if the main ground cable is fastened at the sarter bolt, take it off and bolt it to the next bolt up, bolting into the engine block.
[snapback]2298[/snapback]​

Car is fine now. Loose timing belt.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Were these motors free spinners??

Maybe duke the engine had stopped in a position where the piston was clashing with a valve head, not allowing the motor to turn over???

Are you sure your car is alright mate???

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 12 2004, 12:07 AM
Were these motors free spinners??

Maybe duke the engine had stopped in a position where the piston was clashing with a valve head, not allowing the motor to turn over???

Are you sure your car is alright mate???
[snapback]2643[/snapback]​

not on this engine, 8.5:1 compression, and none interference (if it is a 2.4ltr).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 12 2004, 04:00 PM
So it's a free spinner then, yes?
[snapback]2684[/snapback]​

YUP, the Excel and 3.0V6 (Y model) may make a slight contact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by duke@Nov 12 2004, 06:36 PM
YUP, the Excel and 3.0V6 (Y model) may make a slight contact.
[snapback]2692[/snapback]​

Loose timing belt was the diagnosis of the mechanic at the dealer. Not sure though if it was correct but the car starts fine now. One thing that became noticeable however is the increased vibration when its idle after the timing belt was replaced. Also, engine dies when I put it on reverse and not step on the gas. It's as if in a manual transmission car where there is no proper combination of the clutch and the gas. The engine seems to run out of power and dies but I can easily start it again. Any thoughts on this new development? Sorry no longer covered by title of thread.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As you will find, by the number of posts created in relation to loose timing belts.
You will soon be able to see that for some reason these timing belts are not your average mechanics best friend.
For some reason your avereage mechanic cannot get ther heads around the way i which the design works.

I believe you have one or two problems, to start off with, considering the vibration and stalling in the way you describe only began to happen after the belt was done.

1. The mechanic has failed to line up your balance shaft corectly
2. The cam timing is still out a bit.

Did the mechanice repace the belt or did he just re-tension it?
Because if he just re-tensioned a stretched belt, then the alignment of the cams and crank maybe far enough out to cause you the problem you are experiencing.

Have a talk to your mechanic and tell him what is going on, and by rights he should have another look for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Dr. Hundi@Nov 15 2004, 12:14 PM
As you will find, by the number of posts created in relation to loose timing belts.
You will soon be able to see that for some reason these timing belts are not your average mechanics best friend.
For some reason your avereage mechanic cannot get ther heads around the way i which the design works.

I believe you have one or two problems, to start off with, considering the vibration and stalling in the way you describe only began to happen after the belt was done.

1. The mechanic has failed to line up your balance shaft corectly
2. The cam timing is still out a bit.

Did the mechanice repace the belt or did he just re-tension it?
Because if he just re-tensioned a stretched belt, then the alignment of the cams and crank maybe far enough out to cause you the problem you are experiencing.

Have a talk to your mechanic and tell him what is going on, and by rights he should have another look for you.
[snapback]2784[/snapback]​

Receipt for the service says replacement of timing belt and crankshaft. He gave me the old timing belt which had a very small tear on the side. Will pay him a visit again as soon as time permits. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess what, the car died again while I was driving and it won't start. Mechanic replaced the computer box and it starts fine now. Spending a lot of cash for the car though. I hope I wasn't ripped off. He also replaced the cover for the air filter ( I don't know the exact term but its where the large hose is connected) and the "Check Engine Light" went out. Now my only concern is the tranny as there is constant hard shifting to second gear. Will keep you posted on developments.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by indridcold@Dec 2 2004, 06:46 AM
Guess what, the car died again while I was driving and it won't start. Mechanic replaced the computer box and it starts fine now. Spending a lot of cash for the car though. I hope I wasn't ripped off. He also replaced the cover for the air filter ( I don't know the exact term but its where the large hose is connected) and the "Check Engine Light" went out. Now my only concern is the tranny as there is constant hard shifting to second gear. Will keep you posted on developments.
[snapback]3235[/snapback]​

is the hard shift into 2nd also into 4th ????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by duke@Dec 2 2004, 06:53 AM
is the hard shift into 2nd also into 4th ????
[snapback]3237[/snapback]​

I think its only on the second gear because it only happens after I start to run from a complete stop. Also, when I'm travelling fast, the gear will suddenly shift down and I will lose speed. Hope you can help. Thanks Duke.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by indridcold@Dec 2 2004, 07:04 PM
I think its only on the second gear because it only happens after I start to run from a complete stop. Also, when I'm travelling fast, the gear will suddenly shift down and I will lose speed. Hope you can help. Thanks Duke.
[snapback]3252[/snapback]​

when the car "shifts down", is the engine rpm increase 500 or 1000 rpm ???

·
Registered
422 Posts
So basically it is shifting how Duke mentioned it, 2nd and OD are eratically shifting.

When you are travelling at high speeds and the trans shifts down and you loose speed, what RPM is the engine doing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll check the rpm when it suddenly slows down to be accurate. But more or less its 1000 to 1500 when it suddenly drops. Please note that OD and power are both off. Also, the engine does not die when speed drops and after a few meters, it will return to normal running mode.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts