Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched tires to BF Goodrich Summer Tires, and what an incredible difference. Similar to driving my Subaru.

My question, and I noticed this on the day I went Sonata shopping 5 years ago. Why does the factory mount those

hideous looking Wheel weights on the outside of the rim, making the wheels look really crappy? I even paid extra for the LX Wheels.

If you would buy a set of Rims, isn't there an advantage to having them mounted where you can't see the weights?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Rather complicated, but I'll try to keep it simple..

Best balance comes with 2 plane balance, so each plane will be the inside lip and outside lip,, this will account for almost all the rubber rotating..

Our machine, we can do 2 plane,,, split with clip-on iside and tape inside, but it be on a narrower 2nd plane, so you a small amount outside that line of inside weight hanging out beyond your balance line..

·
Banned
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SBR! They seem to have done a fine job, and sure looks better although you scared me out of an alignment at this time
from any provider other than the Dealer. Sadly my Dealer does not do them, and really didn't know how to answer the SAS question aside from
quote a minimum shop rate :whistling:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I concur that the outer weights will provide better tire balance. And they are likely more secure. Although you can conceal the weights without the lip, I don't believe they are as effective. There is nothing that will drive you nuts faster than a wheel out of balance. A relative bought an after market alloy for his car and cussed the lip less rims until the day he traded it off. I have a 2008 alloys with the lip and the outer wheel balance and a 2009 with the Limited wheels and I would suggest the better balance comes with the weights on the outside of the rim. That is my personal judgment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts