Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2000 V6 sonata has a problem where the engine revs up and down intermittently and I have to fight the brake to keep the speed down (it is not a stuck throttle I have checked). When it has this problem and I stop the car at lights or at a stop sign, when i put my foot on the gas to go again the engine sputters and stalls. After it stalls the engine will only crank over it doesn't start again for about 5-10 minutes, the engine is flooded I think.
People have told me it could be the mass airflow sensor, the crank angle sensor or the fuel pressure regulator. Has anyone had a similar problem at all?

p.s. the check engine light is not on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try the tp sensor as well.Had a pontiac fiero did something similar,turned out to be the previous owners chinese junk replacement tp sensor wasn't sending correct voltage.She would die randomly and had a bad searching idle.So i would test there first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An old trick that i was shown to help diagnose a bad maf sensor is to unplug it while its exhibiting this problem. that is assuming that i acts up while sitting in park. if the problem clears up then you know what your problem. if the problem continues then you should be able to eliminate that sensor as a possibly. i'm not sure if this method can give false negatives but you lose nothing when attempting.

one other thing could be the idle air control valve. though i question this as a strong possibly if the car only does this when driving since its my understanding that the idle air control valve is responsible for allowing and regulating the air to enter the engine when your not holding the throttle open. I've cleaned these off on other cars and trucks previously and carbon buildup pretty much just ends up getting in the way of this valve doing its job. a can of sensor safe throttle body cleaner could help get more life out of a dirty valve.

i hope this helps and if i'm mistaken about any of this stuff then please let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the symptom of idle speed is present while in park try unplugging the throttle position sensor and see how it reacts dont drive with it unplugged

1 - 4 of 4 Posts