Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

In Australia so I think my model may differ to a lot of peoples here as it seems the US Sonatas have more features such as android etc...

Anyway I don't know if any of you lot have ever experienced this issue before but this happens particularly when slowing down for traffic lights for example..

So when I don't have my foot on either the brake or the accelerator and its just rolling suddenly the car with jerk forwards a little as though the brakes have been pressed.

Wondered if its an engine management issue?

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what the issue could be?

Also wondered if anyone can suggest an update or see which software it has?

It seems my car differs to the US models in that I don't seem to have an SD card slot. The stereo doesn't have GPS either it is touch but seems more basic.

Thanks

Mart.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hi guys

In Australia so I think my model may differ to a lot of peoples here as it seems the US Sonatas have more features such as android etc...

Anyway I don't know if any of you lot have ever experienced this issue before but this happens particularly when slowing down for traffic lights for example..

So when I don't have my foot on either the brake or the accelerator and its just rolling suddenly the car with jerk forwards a little as though the brakes have been pressed.

It seems my car differs to the US models in that I don't seem to have an SD card slot. The stereo doesn't have GPS either it is touch but seems more basic.

Thanks

Mart.
I believe only the radios with the GPS would have an SD card.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I notice this with my Tucson also.
It will downshift to keep the rpms 1200-1500.
Other automatics I've driven in the past let the engine drop to near idle speed as they decelerate.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,598 Posts
As others have said sounds like the transmission is downshifting for you. How many miles on the car? It may benefit from a transmission fluid change or it may need a software update, in the USA dealers do it free of charge. Some updates are available on line from Hyundai and if you dont have the Radio with GPS oyu have no SD but you can use the USC to update download update to a usb stick and then transfer to the car.

Id just stop at a dealer and have them check

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the '18 Limited 2.4 and this keeps happening, I hate it so much and it is one of the most annoying things about driving the car. Every time the car is slowing down and it is around 13 mph, it will downshift and jerk the car forward and the dealership keeps saying "this is normal", even passengers in my car have complained about the noticeable jerk. Neither my '02 Camry or my '07 Accord do this, they slow as smooth as butter with 0 jerking.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks

Mart.

Can you define slow? It's common on the 6 speed auto to lurch while downshifting from 5 to 4, around 37mph. Not rough, but noticeable. I've also had it happen around 20mph, when manually dropping from 3 to 2.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can you define slow? It's common on the 6 speed auto to lurch while downshifting from 5 to 4, around 37mph. Not rough, but noticeable. I've also had it happen around 20mph, when manually dropping from 3 to 2.
This happens on mine as well. I understand it, but it kind of sucks. The OPs other cars likely only have 4 speed autos so at those speeds the car would be in the overdrive gear. With the 6 speed there are just more gears and the shifting isn't expected or even wanted... I love how the car shifts when accelerating, but around town it's a bit jerky. :)

CVTs for the win? :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks

Mart.
From what I have researched and based on my own personal experience, this is totally normal. It’s engine deacceleration to help preserve the life of your brake pads, and helps you slow down quicker without the extra brake usage. If it starts becoming rough under deacceleration and lunges forward, it is most likely the transmission software. You can take your car to the dealership and they will reset the transmission shift points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is abnormal. My 2018 Sonata has the same problem. I put my car to the dealership twice. Finally, it is notified a transmission issue. It looks Hyundai service campaign noted this issue, and request a shift upgrade.

Hi guys

Thanks

Mart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am used to driving Manual so the first time it happened to me it felt like I was stalling lol. It definitely grabs your attention

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is abnormal. My 2018 Sonata has the same problem. I put my car to the dealership twice. Finally, it is notified a transmission issue. It looks Hyundai service campaign noted this issue, and request a shift upgrade.

Just wanted to thank everybody for their help.

Yes it is quite a sudden jerk and definitely noticable.

The other day I had an I30 hire car from the airport and yes it did do it but certainly not to the affect in which my sonata does it.

It is due for sewrvice at 15,000 k's so I will mention it on the service.

However my worry is is that they say nothing is wrong with it. If this happens do i take it to all the hyundai garages until someone spots the problem?

Or maybe I could update it myself... It is in Australia so I am not sure of the procedcure to do it but what machine would I need and what update would I need?

Is it worth me even doing this or shall I just find a service engineer to help? I just think I may be bounced around like a yoyo with them telling me there isn't a problem when there really is.

Thanks so much again everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
For the most part it’s to save fuel. When you are coasting, the fuel is cut off to the injectors, so the only way to keep the engine spinning is to downshift the transmission. Once you get slow enough, the torque converter unlocks and fuel is restarted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts