Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like Sonata/Hyundais in gengeral/Probably any car with a fuel vapor recovery system will eventually
run into the problem where things get a bit gunked up and air is slow to vent from the fuel system
causing the pump at the gas station to constantly
click off after you put in only a little fuel. Eventually you'll get fuel in there, but it will take lots of time and clicking (not fun
in the cold) when you have this problem. It has started happening to me (2002 Sonata V6 approx 135k miles). So tonight
I got under the driver rear side and took off the evaporator canister (I think that is what it is called - basically a rectangular
black box with charcoal in it. The hardest part of taking this thing out is unplugging the electrical connection. The trick there
is to pry off the little metal clip (it was such a pain, I didn't bother putting it back - that plug ain't going no where).

After I took it off, I unplugged all the hoses and the solenoid. Blew through the solenoid - it was all clear. There is an
air filter on the box - blew through that - a little dust came out, but not too dirty. Now when I took the box off, there
was some charcoal falling out of the hoses. Also, when the hoses were connected, I blew in one and some charcoal came
out of another. It didn't seem like it was all that much charcoal, but some was definitely coming out. I shook the box and
I could hear the charcoal shifting around in there. Seems like there was still plenty in it. Anyway, since I knew all the lines
were clear, I put it all back together and with about a half tank of gas went for a fill-up. I was able to run the pump full
blast for a fair while with no click offs. It did end up clicking off two time before it was completely full. Now I've seen
where even brand new cars click the pump off when you run 'em real fast. So, I THINK the situation is much better.
I will know for sure after a few more fill-ups. Now the question I'd like to ask the experienced guys in this form is, should
I worry because some charcoal came out? IIf you buy a brand new canister, stand it on end and shake it, will some
charcoal fall out? Seems to me like it would. Bottom line questions I guess is can this be fixed by blowing out lines and
filters, or is the only way to fix it to replace the canister? As a side question, if the charcoal is the problem - what would happen
if I just dumped it all out and reconnected everything with an empty canister?

As always, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Charchol is not supposed to fall out, as it would travel and goof up the works...

Did you have 0446 code ?

Here is how we "repair hard to fuel" // 0446 code on Hyundai --

Canister, close valve and vent filter

*** make sure you blow out the purge line from the front, blowing out the rear,, verify other lines free of charchol bits too.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sbr! Did not have any codes. Your pics look just like what I was working on. Do you guys
do the same repair even if there is no code?

Gonna keep an eye on it for sure. I was also kind of surprised at how big the charcoal
pellets were. You'd think they'd put a screen in there to keep the pellets in the box.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (pjm123a @ Dec 19 2010, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381596
Hi Sbr! Did not have any codes. Your pics look just like what I was working on. Do you guys
do the same repair even if there is no code?
This fella complaint was MIL,, had P-0446 code here. Good indication canister is clogging, and tank pressure starts to get low as it draws tank into vacuum because system cant breath free... (tank pressure should barely jiggle voltage wise when purge is active,,, excess volt change shows restriction).. they had not complained yet of hard to fill..

For those with "hard to fill concern",, it's a given to look at canister first,, replace canister, close valve and filter as set and be done.

Fella came in last week with "hard to fill".. pulled vent hose off, out fell the pellets.. he declined repairs.

Gonna keep an eye on it for sure. I was also kind of surprised at how big the charcoal
pellets were. You'd think they'd put a screen in there to keep the pellets in the box.
When they get saturated excessively (topping off tank after pump shuts off) runs risk of liquid fuel getting into canister and the charchol swells in size, and breaks the canister internally and lat the charchol loose, then is causes more problems. I have taken canisters and carefully blew through them and had lquid fuel pour out.. had 1 explode when I put air to it a bit too quick,,, that stuff was everywhere, made me wonder how they put that much stuff in that little canister,,, it was a mess.. co-workers just laughed at me when it happened

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was doing some work on a vintage Kawasaki motorcycle - 1982 CRS305. While the Sonata has fuel injection and the
vapor recover system, the kawasaki has carbs that have plastic overflow tubes to direct any excess
fuel (not just vapor - I guess in case the floats get stuck) away from the motor and onto the ground.
What a difference 20 years makes (1982 - 2002)!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My son drove the Sonata to the airport today to pick up my daughter who just flew in from Illinois. On the way there the
check engine light came on (uh oh). Pulled the code P0455 EVAP Emission control system (LEAK) large. Why do I think there is
a new evap canister in my future? I erased the code. Drove a little today. So far it is off we'll see how long it stays off!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (pjm123a @ Dec 24 2010, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383201
My son drove the Sonata to the airport today to pick up my daughter who just flew in from Illinois. On the way there the
check engine light came on (uh oh). Pulled the code P0455 EVAP Emission control system (LEAK) large. Why do I think there is
a new evap canister in my future? I erased the code. Drove a little today. So far it is off we'll see how long it stays off!

0455 = large evap leak.... system does self test, and was not able to pull/hold vacuum in system during test (tank pressure sensor stay at atmospere pressure), hence the large leak code.. Fuel cap properly secured. find people just set cap on and run, or have engine running while re-fueling (big NO-NO with Hyundia)..

Close valve not close to seal system during test (unplugged connector, though it would toss a circuit code for close valve electrical)..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I finally got around to replacing the evap canister. The new one sure doesn't have anything rattling around in it and no charcoal is falling out. When I replaced it, I blew through all the hoses and they are all clear. So now the question is: If this is what was causing the check engine light to come on, will it clear on it's own from normal driving? If so about how many miles should it take. If it doesn't clear on it's own, should I clear the code? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (pjm123a @ Jan 11 2011, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389865
OK, I finally got around to replacing the evap canister. The new one sure doesn't have anything rattling around in it and no charcoal is falling out. When I replaced it, I blew through all the hoses and they are all clear. So now the question is: If this is what was causing the check engine light to come on, will it clear on it's own from normal driving? If so about how many miles should it take. If it doesn't clear on it's own, should I clear the code? Thanks for any input.

Codes will neeed to be cleared, se if anything returns then..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SBR. I will clear the code and hope it doesn't come back. Also, the wife filled the tank today. Not a single click! She is giving it the thumbs up. So, I've got that going for me now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
same problem

so im new to this forum and im doing this for my girlfriends sonata its having the same issue as the original poster that it clicks off every few seconds from filling the tank up and is really frustrating to me and her. now i was reading this post but i dint get how you ended up fixing the issue her car dosent have the engine light on neither the error message taht you had so i dont know if its the same solution, i know its the same problem though, it just does not fill up unless im thier for 10 plus minutes doing bit by bit please help thank you

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
So im new to this forum and I'm doing this for my girlfriends Sonata. It's having the same issue as the original poster,, that it clicks off every few seconds from filling the tank up, and is really frustrating to me and her. Now I was reading this post, but I didn't get how you ended up fixing the issue. Her car doesn't have the engine light on,, niether the error message that you had,, so I don't know if its the same solution, I know its the same problem though, it just does not fill up unless I'm there for 10 plus minutes doing bit by bit.

Please help, Thank You

Canister is likely clogged, and displaced air from the tank during re-fuel cant pass through the charchol canister to vent..

Want to verify, remove tube from canister to the fuel tank and allow the tank to vent with out the canister.. if it not go, then look for the fill vent control valve on tank to be stuck... more common is the canister to be clogged, and typically end up with a 0446 in the PCM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have taken apart the canister and there is loose charcoal falling out of it but when it is disconnected from the fuel tank it still won't flow properly. How can I access the fill vent control valve on the tank and un-stick it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (pjm123a @ Dec 24 2010, 09:02 PM)

0455 = large evap leak.... system does self test, and was not able to pull/hold vacuum in system during test (tank pressure sensor stay at atmospere pressure), hence the large leak code.. Fuel cap properly secured. find people just set cap on and run, or have engine running while re-fueling (big NO-NO with Hyundia)..

Close valve not close to seal system during test (unplugged connector, though it would toss a circuit code for close valve electrical)..
so tell me why you say "big NO-NO for hyundai to fill while engine is running?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
so tell me why you say "big NO-NO for hyundai to fill while engine is running?
EVAP system self test typically occur on Hyundai while sitting still... so you have engine running, sitting still, and fuel cap removed.. PCM initiates test, system wont pull vaccum as cap off, and tank pressure sensor see constant atmosphere with no voltage change as PCM try to cycle purge to pull system into vacuum to see if it hold.... P0455,, Large Evap Leak code and MIL

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had this issue since day one. Coupled with the fact that it was infrequent and my lack of confidence with my dealership being competent enough (had to give them fix for clock spring, and fuel vapor problem...) to troubleshoot and fix it, I havent said anything. Now that its more frequent and I am at 51000 miles, is it still covered under some warranty?

Edit: Wasnt sure which forum this was asked, so I have a 2011 2.4 Limited.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts