Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed installing a Kenwood EZ500 head unit and a Kenwood Sirius receiver in my 2005 Sonata. At first I thought that I could get away wiith mounting the Sirius antenna as far forward on the front dash as I could and obtain good results. I was wrong.. While the reception is excellent in one city, it is horrible in another... all depends on which way the car is heading and the overhead obstructions. My next step is to move the Sirius antenna to the top of the vehicle. Has anyone installed a Sirius system in a Sonata and where did you put the antenna? On the top in front of the sunroof or on just forward of the rear window? Any inputs would be appreciated before I make the move.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was thinking of installing same unit on my 2005 LX. I thought all of the equipment was in the one unit. Is there a separate sirius reciever and head unit? As far as antenna, that is what is holding me back. Obvious place would be top of trunk lid but I read about a new antenna that goes inside near top of windshield behind rearview mirror. I'm not crazy about outside antenna and installation would seem to be rather involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently installed a Sirius system in my 2002 Sonata LX. I mounted the antenna on the roof and routed the antenna under the rear window rubber moulding. The wire hides under the moulding perfectly, except for one area that gave me trouble. There is one area (where the top corner of the rear window is), which is most likely where the support for the roof is welded there was not sufficient room for the wire to completely hide under the moulding.

I have the wire then going into the trunk and behind the panneling.

Overall it works out pretty good.

I am curious to know about this new type of antenna that mounts behind the rearview mirror. Where did you see this information?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have mine on the rear shelf in front of the 3rd brake light on an '05 Sonata GLS,
works great. Just put a piece of hook velcro on the bottom of the antenna and it'll stick. Any place that you mount it on the exterior it is going to leave scratches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts