Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sonata Shortage Looming?

Ever since the U.S. launch of the all new, redesigned, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, demand for the midsize family sedan has exceeded the company's expectations. In March, retail sales swelled to 18,935 Sonatas, making it the third best selling, mid-size sedan behind Accord and Camry, and marking a milestone of sorts for the automaker, as the highest monthly total of a single model sold in the U.S.

April sales of 18,536 retail deliveries added credibility to what some auto analysts have been saying about Hyundai’s growing market share, which now sits at a respectable 4.4 percent and increasingly, positive, consumer perception. The jump in U.S. sales of Hyundai’s popular selling family sedan is up by almost 50 percent, when compared to 2009. The increased demand has caused Hyundai to ramp up production of their Montgomery, Alabama plant, which is now operating at full capacity, 6 days a week, in 10 hour shifts. The plant has an annual production capacity of 300,000 vehicles. Since its inception however, it has always produced a mix of 70 percent Sonatas and 30 percent Santa Fes.

But not all Sonatas produced at the Montgomery plant end up on U.S. dealers' lots. Roughly 1,200 per month are exported to our neighbors to the North, in Canada. For now, Hyundai has been able to produce adequate supplies of both vehicles to meet current demands for its North American market. Hyundai’s spokesman, Miles Johnson, disclosed that dealers are clamoring for more of the hot selling, sporty sedan and so are considering moving production of their third best selling model, Santa Fe, to Hyundai's sister company, Kia's West Point, Georgia plant to avoid shortfalls of their top selling sedan.

The question some are beginning to wonder is whether Hyundai's Alabama plant will be capable of meeting the increased volume levels considering that the release of the turbo and hybrid models, are mere months away from launch. It is probably more likely, that inventory levels for Sonata may begin to tighten even further as demand grows across all trim lines.

Sources:
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/articl...in-Sonata-sales
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../100509876/1277
http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2010/04/hy...s_march_sa.html

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
While the new 6G Sonata (not sure why its 5G here?) seems super popular, Hyundai has cranked out 50% more units than

last Year, & this can't possibly help future resale value. Hyundai is in the process of flooding the Market, no the World with Sonatas :trophy:

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 8 2010, 12:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320936
While the new 6G Sonata (not sure why its 5G here?) seems super popular, Hyundai has cranked out 50% more units than

last Year, & this can't possibly help future resale value. Hyundai is in the process of flooding the Market, no the World with Sonatas :trophy:
And how has that effected Camry and Accord resale value? :whistling:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 8 2010, 01:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320939
And how has that effected Camry and Accord resale value? :whistling:
Exactly, volume doesn't affect resale value as much as large discounting through manufacturer's rebates. The rule: The higher the rebates, the lower the residual or resale value of the vehicle. So, frankly the projected future value of the 2011 Sonata based on KBB and ALG after 3 years of ownership is roughly 60 percent of its value.

By the way, as an aside, here in GA I have seen almost half-a-dozen Sonatas here within the last 12 hours so they are definitely getting out there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was at my dealership the other day and noticed that they had a load of GLS's but no Limiteds and only one Se ( had just been unloaded ). I'm wondering if the Limiteds and SE's are more in demand then they anticipated and maybe they should change the model mix? I know my salesman has at least two customers wanting Venetian Red SE's and he just can't find them.

Don

·
Registered
594 Posts
The sales manager (great guy!) at the local dealer mentioned a few weeks back that there was already concerns then that they will not be able to meet the demand by June. Then someone mentioned here that the sales are not that hot in Western Canada. (though in the total NA market that is probably a small part of the market)

·
Registered
932 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, the saleswoman I got mine from told me that they can't get any NAV units at all. They were now selling cars like mine, Limited with NAV for $1000 over sticker. Considering I paid over $3000 under sticker, that's a huge swing. This was a few weeks ago.

I do now this. None of the cars on the lot when I bought mine had the extra add-on sticker (paint protection, fabric protection etc) that added about $1200 to the price. When I was in there for the oil change, all the ones I saw now had those.

But that's why I bought mine when I did. I still had a couple of months left on my lease but didn't want to wait. I had a feeling it would start getting tight. I predicted that the dealer incentive would only be for the first few months to try to get a good launch. I also predicted that they wouldn't return until later in the year when all the other manufacturers start releasing their 2011 models. We'll see if I'm right.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 8 2010, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320965
The sales manager (great guy!) at the local dealer mentioned a few weeks back that there was already concerns then that they will not be able to meet the demand by June. Then someone mentioned here that the sales are not that hot in Western Canada. (though in the total NA market that is probably a small part of the market)
Midas -- who is your dealer?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 8 2010, 02:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320975
As I mentioned in another thread, the saleswoman I got mine from told me that they can't get any NAV units at all. They were now selling cars like mine, Limited with NAV for $1000 over sticker. Considering I paid over $3000 under sticker, that's a huge swing. This was a few weeks ago.

I do now this. None of the cars on the lot when I bought mine had the extra add-on sticker (paint protection, fabric protection etc) that added about $1200 to the price. When I was in there for the oil change, all the ones I saw now had those.

But that's why I bought mine when I did. I still had a couple of months left on my lease but didn't want to wait. I had a feeling it would start getting tight. I predicted that the dealer incentive would only be for the first few months to try to get a good launch. I also predicted that they wouldn't return until later in the year when all the other manufacturers start releasing their 2011 models. We'll see if I'm right.

Let's try that again... Midas69... who is your dealer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
when we went out to look for a 2011 se with nav about two weeks ago it was very very difficult to find here in southern california. they had plenty of gls's without Nav, but the other stuff were being sold instantly. WE used zag.com to get our vehicle, with their low price guarentee. we took our 1000 below invoice zag.com printout and they refused to honor it cause the car was in such demand. anyways we got them in trouble with zag.com and they got kicked out of the program. we printed out another price sheet but this time it was 500 below invoice and we went to that dealership and it was dificult to finally convince them to honor the price. I told them what had happened to the other dealership and they finally gave in saying "we will eat the cost". fast forward now to two weeks later i got on to zag.com to see what the prices are now and now zag.com wont offer any discounts on the car anymore, it says, "please contact dealer for price" lol. im super glad i was able to get one before the took out the low prices. i hear people are now paying premium for SE and Limited, especially with ones with Nav. One of the salesmen told me that SE sales accounted for about 10% cars sold in last model, now he is saying that its up to 30% of all cars sold so theyre having trouble meeting demand

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (akalucas @ May 8 2010, 05:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321015
when we went out to look for a 2011 se with nav about two weeks ago it was very very difficult to find here in southern california. they had plenty of gls's without Nav, but the other stuff were being sold instantly. WE used zag.com to get our vehicle, with their low price guarentee. we took our 1000 below invoice zag.com printout and they refused to honor it cause the car was in such demand. anyways we got them in trouble with zag.com and they got kicked out of the program. we printed out another price sheet but this time it was 500 below invoice and we went to that dealership and it was dificult to finally convince them to honor the price. I told them what had happened to the other dealership and they finally gave in saying "we will eat the cost". fast forward now to two weeks later i got on to zag.com to see what the prices are now and now zag.com wont offer any discounts on the car anymore, it says, "please contact dealer for price" lol. im super glad i was able to get one before the took out the low prices. i hear people are now paying premium for SE and Limited, especially with ones with Nav. One of the salesmen told me that SE sales accounted for about 10% cars sold in last model, now he is saying that its up to 30% of all cars sold so theyre having trouble meeting demand

Yup same as when I was looking, GLS's on the lot but an SE w Nav you were lucky to find one in the state and its sold same day. Hyundai will certainly catch up even out here in the west but when I was looking you didnt have incredible bargaining power, paid invoice.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Pricing in this region is crazy, but inventory is plentiful albeit fast moving. I visited 4 dealers while shopping for my '11 Sonata.

1 of the dealers was out of state and was offering $2,000 off sticker for a GLS with Nav...trade-in offer was way low.

1 dealer had a $1,500 market adjustment over sticker.

1 dealer had a $5,000 market adjustment over sticker. Pearl white GLS with PEP2, floor mats, ipod cable. $22,000 sticker marked up to $27,200.

Finally bought mine from a local dealer who discounted the Sonata and gave me a great price on my trade-in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my area, there are a fair number of GLS's but Limiteds are in short supply. Five weeks ago, I checked on Cars.com and there were 18 Limiteds at the four dealerships near me. Today there are only three. There are six SE's and 53 GLS's. Looks like they need to add more Limiteds to the mix around here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recommend using TrueCar.com. They show the regional price for recent purchases and they have "certified" dealers with low quotes. In my area, a fully-loaded Limited is $28,115. The certified quote is $25,733.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Truecar.com transaction data shows the GLS accounting for about 50% of Sonatas sold. The SE accounted for 25% and the Limited made up the other 25%.

With the GLS being the volume seller, dealers will tend to stock more of them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The timing of the shortage stinks for me. I was planning on buying in june. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

It already looking like getting good deals is more and more unlikely :(

·
1,914 Posts
Where I work, we have a very big selection of 11's including the SE W/ Nav and roof and Limited's with NAV. We received 4 pearl white limited's with nav last week and 1 was already sold, 3 sold yesterday. We have yet to see a GLS with nav or a manual. Limited's and GLS's are our biggest sellers. We've also only seen one Camel Pearl and that was already sold.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts