Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra 2018 SEL
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Here,

I`d like to hear if any of us had p0401 error code on newer versions of Hyundai's?
My Sonata 2020 2.5 Turbo on 18k miles gave me check engine light and OBD scanner found the only error code p0401 which stands for:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient Detected.”

Engine didn`t lose power, vehicle runs and drive well. No increased fuel consumption, smoke or other symptoms. Check engine light is 80% on and 20% off during last 9k miles. All hoses, gaskets are tights, no leak, no vacuum issues on the first look.
I used valve cleaner from liqui moly(20210) since I didn`t find any EGR cleaner for gas engines. And Still I don`t believe it is EGR issue on 18K miles gas engine, besides the electronical part of valve.

Dealer refuses to fix due to branded title, even when Hyundai has an obligation to fix all exhaust related issue.
Electronic EGR valve is pricy, close to 300$ so I am just looking what else I can check before buying new EGR valve.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Another EGR. That is the new item to haunt us, they just had to bring it back. Yes it is an EGR problem, replace the valve and screen that clogs up. Been there on Sonata, DPS, wire harness, then valve with screen assembly, ROYAL PAIN IN BUTT. I ended up dropping crossmember to open it way up so I could stand there and actually work freely on it, rack helps..

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,563 Posts
Dealer refuses to fix due to branded title, even when Hyundai has an obligation to fix all exhaust related issue.
Electronic EGR valve is pricy, close to 300$ so I am just looking what else I can check before buying new EGR valve.
What is a "branded title"? Is it like a salvage or something that voids the warranty?

You should be under the bumper to bumper at this point, also at least in California the emission systems have extended warranty as well

·
Registered
682 Posts
What is a "branded title"? Is it like a salvage or something that voids the warranty?

You should be under the bumper to bumper at this point, also at least in California the emission systems have extended warranty as well
Not really sure what is going on in this thread. There was no 2020 2.5 turbo model. First was the N Line in 2021, SEL never had the 2.5 turbo.

Since it has a branded title, it was either declared a total loss and brought back to life due to major accident or flood, etc it is no longer covered by warranty.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra 2018 SEL
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not really sure what is going on in this thread. There was no 2020 2.5 turbo model.
My bad, probably just 2.5 but not a turbo.

However, Sir, the question is about check engine light with EGR related error code. So I am not sure why you are worrying so much about turbo vs no turbo and branded title.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra 2018 SEL
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

A branded title vehicle is any vehicle that has experienced an insurance incident resulting in a total loss.

I`ll try with different dealer. All the dealers want to deal with everything what is strait forward and start complaining if it require extra step.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra 2018 SEL
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another EGR. That is the new item to haunt us, they just had to bring it back. Yes it is an EGR problem, replace the cand screen that clogs up. Been there on Sonata, DPS, wire harness, then valve with screen assembly, ROYAL PAIN IN BUTT. I ended up dropping crossmember to open it way up so I could stand there and actually work freely on it, rack helps..

So was you able to fix the issue? was it a screen or valve? Valve is expensive and swapping to new one without really understanding it that help isn't the best idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts