Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent four hours detailing out my interior today and really couldn't tell what was leather and what was not. The shifter boot obviously was. Does anyone know what parts of the seat material is suppose to be leather on the SE? I'm using Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant on vinyl and Gold Class Leather Care on the leather.

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
486 Posts
FWIW, I read an article ( http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.c...ive-leather.cfm ) that states virtually All Vehicles Leather Interiors are NOW leather with a "finished" top layer of Vinyl. See, also, article Link on "What you need to know about vinyl".

Surely Meguiar's knows this and I "presume" their Leather Treatment "soldiers" in the bottle know they are working on the Vinyl top layer for virtually all of the car. I actually don't know IF Meguiar's stuff helps Vinyl the same way it would Leather Vs just mild soap-water and 303 Protectant per article. I hope a knowledgeable Detailer can clarify this.

I got the 303 for its highly touted UV Protection. After ordering the 303 I had my Side-Rear Windows Tinted (FormulaOne's Pinnacle 35) with 54% Solar Energy Rejection and 99.5% UV Blockage, so the dash is the UV issue now + Outside Rubber-Vinyl.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (CraigS26 @ Sep 12 2010, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355808
that states virtually All Vehicles Leather Interiors are NOW leather with a "finished" top layer of Vinyl.
Before anything, that applies to the surfaces that are supposed to be leather. Most of the seat surfaces are VINYL only :grin:. There's no leather on SEs. The edges and sides of the seats on Limiteds are also vinyl. The only leather parts are some of those 'dimpled' panels. Calling these freaking interiors 'leather' is a stretch. Even 'leather seating surfaces' is a stretch. Oh, and the rear seats are all vinyl folks. At least it's hard to tell the 2 materials apart nowadays :grin:. Having said that, BMW has standard vinyl seats (called 'leatherette'), and they're a lot more expensive. And yes, vinyl seats also have to be conditioned (although much less often), and it's okay to do that with leather conditioner. That way they don't look shiny, and you don't have to guess which part is vinyl and which leather.

Back to the topic. Practically all automotive leathers are COATED with a special material that resembles vinyl, but it's not. It let the leather breathe a little, as well as absorb conditioners. Vinyl doesn't do either one. Nobody is going to bother coating leather with vinyl, as vinyl is much cheaper and would feel the same. Good day.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Interesting replies indeed.

On my 2001 Maxima it was "thought" that the only leather was the headrest and the center sections of the seats. The bolsters and beyond were vinyl. On the Maxima, what was thought as leather lasted and showed great. It didn't show wear at all and was supple. However what was considered vinyl ripped, cracked and tore. So bad it made me debate heavily about getting another car with a "leather" interior. I used Lexol religiously during its life, usually 2-4 times a year.

Do we think that 303 will be a better product instead of a "leather" product? Since vinyl is more of a plastic than a hide, maybe a product that is chemically created for plastics would be better? I don't know; I am throwing out thoughts to try and get a better idea and more longevity out of my vehicle looking good.

·
Registered
486 Posts
QUOTE (dynamike @ Sep 13 2010, 02:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356060
If it is true about what you are claiming that Sonata seat are vinyl or leatherette( cloth covered with PVC) ,then how can Hyundai legally advertise "leather seats" ?
I have been wondering the exact samething.....Years ago while at a major auto manufacture pre release of major year change training , we ran across the shifter and on disassembly the advertised leather boot was pleather ( cows that wear sweathers, a leatherette felt lined product). Any way the instructor stopped the class while he made a call to some product engineer. There was a letter sent out the following week with a correction sticker to be put into each of the already manufactured car manuals that made the change in print from leather to leatherette.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you look at pages 28-29 on the E brochure you will read this.
GLS with the popular equipment package includes "leatherette door panel inserts".
The SE includes "leather bolsters with cloth insert seats".
The Limited includes "leather seating surfaces".
They do make a distinction between leather and leatherette.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (zaqxsw @ Sep 11 2010, 09:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355765
I just spent four hours detailing out my interior today and really couldn't tell what was leather and what was not. The shifter boot obviously was. Does anyone know what parts of the seat material is suppose to be leather on the SE? I'm using Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant on vinyl and Gold Class Leather Care on the leather.

Thanks for any replies!
I find this shocking and unbelievable!!!!! Not that the seats or parts there of, are leather, pleather, and vinyl..........Just the fact that you can spend 4 hours detailing the interior of a Hyundai :whistling: :whistling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts