Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Hyundai Sonata has been pulling from side to side when I am on the highway or driving at highway speeds. I think it could possibly be the tires. It seems to get worse when the road is uneven or has groves in the concrete. Does anyone have the same or similar problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im having the same issue as well. I thought maybe my alignment or tire pressure might be off..... hopefully its the tires, this has been bothering me for some time and is the only issue i have with the Sonata. This, and the downshift, but i can live with slight jerking when im slowing down. Hopefully its not a serious car problem.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I have the same problem and attribute it to the cheap korean hankook tires....I was never and will never be a korean tire fan....

my next set (if I keep this car) will be continentals or michelins

·
Registered
717 Posts
Tread might be more of the issue then the actual brand. The roads have groves which is why your car pulls and pushes. Sorry guys but my car moves but I will not blame tires nor the Sonata. I will blame the roads.

·
Registered
264 Posts
same here, my car tends to pull a little to each side. constant steering corrections are needed. i got used to it with my last car, an elantra, which was maybe even a little worse than the sonata. same tire brand on both cars.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm coming down on the side of "it is the road".

On what appears to be smooth, flat, level surface I have no problem at all.

On a "crowned" road, for example, I notice that it wants to move toward the right - the direction the road slants.

I suspect "electric steering" is different enough that we all need to take time driving and adjust ourselves to it a bit.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jul 27 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345144
Tread might be more of the issue then the actual brand. The roads have groves which is why your car pulls and pushes. Sorry guys but my car moves but I will not blame tires nor the Sonata. I will blame the roads.
there are NO flat roads in NY to the best of my knowledge. I've riden on freshly (just) paved roads and they aren't smooth or completely flat. (which doesn't help matters)

QUOTE (gregd71 @ Jul 27 2010, 09:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345152
same here, my car tends to pull a little to each side. constant steering corrections are needed. i got used to it with my last car, an elantra, which was maybe even a little worse than the sonata. same tire brand on both cars.
this is what brings me back to brand of tire. while my legend definitely has more roadfeel to it (car dynamics + michelin primacy tires), it doesn't pull AT ALL! (same roads for both cars)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Attention all: This is a common issue that surfaces ever few weeks as new members come on board. ***CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE***.

Many of us have had this exact same problem; me included. All new cars come from the factory with higher than normal pressure to prevent "flat spotting" during transit and storage. The dealers are supposed to be setting the proper levels when they arrive at the lot but too many seem to be letting it slip. Set your pressure to 35psi and I'll bet it will drive like a whole new car. No need for new tires.

Hope this helps.

***ADMIN: MAYBE IT'S TIME TO MAKE A STICKY FOR THIS ONE?***

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 27 2010, 11:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345175
Attention all: This is a common issue that surfaces ever few weeks as new members come on board. ***CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE***.

Many of us have had this exact same problem; me included. All new cars come from the factory with higher than normal pressure to prevent "flat spotting" during transit and storage. The dealers are supposed to be setting the proper levels when they arrive at the lot but too many seem to be letting it slip. Set your pressure to 35psi and I'll bet it will drive like a whole new car. No need for new tires.

Hope this helps.

I check my tire pressure religiously on all 5 of my cars and it doesn't deviate (as long as its done consisently cold)......so for some it might be helpful, but for others like myself who know their pressure is spot on (I use a calibrated analog gauge-digitals don't cut it IMHO) the reasoning has to be deeper. As i stated previously, my Acura Legend doesn't pull. So I know its not just the road.

EDIT: I just confirmed it is the tires causing the pulling. You want to know how I came to this ingenious conclusion?? It's simple. A friend of mine has an 06 Sonata that came from factory with Michelin MXV"s. He has over 100k on the car now. The tires went out at 80k, he replaced with some no-name brand. Now the car pulls, but with the michelins it never did.

Now, the same friend has an 09 Elantra with factory Kumho's. It pulls with less than 10k on her.

ITS THE CHEAP KOREAN TIRES GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts

Hope this helps.

i learned this on my elantra. it was trying to run me off the road. got out the tire gauge and found all the tires at 65psi. dropped them to 35 and it was much improved, but still pulled both ways a little. i didnt have it long enough to change the tires. but no other cars ive ever had required so much straight-line steering detail as these last 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love my new Sonata SE but this is really starting to bug me. I am constantly having to correct the pull of the car. Has anyone tried putting new tires on their Sonata yet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I once had a 89 Firebird Formula 350, I added bigger than standard tires for it. I think they were 18". It looked nice... but the car followed every groove in the road and pulled all over. After changing to them. I think, but am not a pro, that larger tires follow imperfections in the road surface much easier than a small tire with a narrower width. Could that be what the tires are doing as so many are describing here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It kinda feels to me like the car is just too light. I know they made the 2011 bigger and somehow lighter than the 2010 so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Add to that --

What are your current alignment numbers -- that will affect the handling/drive feel of the vehicle .... "in spec" dont mean a thing,, I can put a car "in spec and it will handle like doo doo and chew tires...

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 27 2010, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345175

Hope this helps.

Just checked my tire pressure yesterday, and to my surprise they were all different. Only a few psi, but still not what I expected. I put them all to 35 psi, and what a difference. It seems to track much better with less need for minor adjustments. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
124 Posts
QUOTE (captainjd02 @ Aug 1 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346480
Just checked my tire pressure yesterday, and to my surprise they were all different. Only a few psi, but still not what I expected. I put them all to 35 psi, and what a difference. It seems to track much better with less need for minor adjustments. Thanks for the tip.
Does the GLS you own have TPS. If so why didn't the warning light go on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (schdy37 @ Aug 1 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346496
Does the GLS you own have TPS. If so why didn't the warning light go on?
It does have the TPMS. And now that you say that, about 3 weeks after I bought the car the warning light came on while I was driving down the highway. I pulled over to check the tires and they all looked good. The light stayed on for about 5 minutes and then went off. I had every intention of checking the pressure when I got home, but it slipped my mind. It hasn't come on since, so I haven't thought about it. I think since they weren't under the threshold maybe thats why it didn't come on. They were a few psi off of each other, but they weren't under inflated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow after 7K miles of perfect, mine started doing it to so I checked tire pressure. One was off by two and one was off by three pounds, I made sure they were all exactly 35 pounds dead on and now it tracks perfect again. They are touchy tires!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts