Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On March 7 I bought brand new Sonata Se 2014. When I left dealer mileage was 70 miles. I drove car on Sunday and it was fine. I made about 10 miles, just driving around the town. Then I jumped in car on Wednesday and surprise. Car is weak. I put gear on Drive and car doesn't even move itself. I had to get between 4000-5000 rpm to get car in motion. At the same time I got notification from blue-link stating that there is transmission issues. Below I am attaching the screenshot with message stating the issues. Anyway, I called my dealer and describe him the issues which i have. So he told to me bring car in and they will give loaner car. On Saturday march 15 I sit in car start engine and check engine light came on. I call dealer telling him that i am afraid to drive car which is about 9 miles to get to them. He told me just drive slowly and bring it in. On the way to dealer car was making strange noises and I assume it was transmission noise also car was shaking every time i tried to switch gear from park to drive or reverse position. I got to dealer and i got mad. I told them that I don't want this car. Neither replace car with brand new or i am going to walk away and cancel my purchase and go somewhere else to buy new car. They told me that they will do everything to make me happy and resolve the problem. I understand if this happened like 2 months or 3 months after i purchased then i would just go to dealer and tell them fix it, but this is only week and i made only around 40 miles on this car. Did this happen to anyone here ?? Had similar issues ? Please guys give me so advice. Tomorrow I should get respond from dealer.

Below I am attaching the screenshot from blue-link with alert message.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LEMON LAW!

Get rid of it. File a claim
Mike I did some research about lemon law in ny and it doesn't apply to me unless the problem will occur again and again like 3 or 4 times. I will try to get my car be replaced. Mike unless you do have more information or guidance regarding my case please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
They should never have asked you to drive it in that condition. It is a safety hazard and driving it could have caused additional damage. I would also question 70 miles on a new car. If you can bail out of the deal you should do it and find another dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
It might be as simple as clearing some error codes within the transmission. Everything is internal. If that doesn't work, the only approved fix is to replace the transmission.

Let us know how this turns out. May be a temporary situation.

I had a weird situation with my 2011 Kia Forte where the transmission acted up. The dealer cleared the codes and it never recurred.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be as simple as clearing some error codes within the transmission. Everything is internal. If that doesn't work, the only approved fix is to replace the transmission.

Let us know how this turns out. May be a temporary situation.

I had a weird situation with my 2011 Kia Forte where the transmission acted up. The dealer cleared the codes and it never recurred.
If this would be the only code or something simple i am fine. Anyway I made only around 40 miles on this car and what really is pissing me off is that this is new car. I will try to push them to give me replacement. I mean transmission replacement for me is out option. I had this car for a week not a months. I would understand if this problem would occur a couple months after i purchased the car but this **** happens within a week.

·
Registered
349 Posts
a few pointers:

how exactly are you going to cancel your purchase?

1 repair does not a lemon law case make...

if you felt the car unsafe to drive, you should have had it flatbedded to the stealership, the hyundai roadside assistance # is on the side window.

unlikely you will get a new car, if it's not a simple repair, then vehicle will be fitted with reman transmission, standard hyundai policy. you could push for a new tranny and make some leeway there...

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
If this would be the only code or something simple i am fine. Anyway I made only around 40 miles on this car and what really is pissing me off is that this is new car. I will try to push them to give me replacement. I mean transmission replacement for me is out option. I had this car for a week not a months. I would understand if this problem would occur a couple months after i purchased the car but this **** happens within a week.
I'm not sure why you would object to a new transmission if it comes to that. The chances of a second transmission failure would be slight to none I would think.

I understand your frustration but I don't really think the lemon laws apply at this point. What I would insist on is that you be provided a good loaner and allow them a couple of days to fix the problem. They probably have a near new Genesis you could drive in the meantime. That's what the local dealer does. These cars are not really prone to breakdown unless I've been extremely lucky in the six Hyundais I have owned.

What are they telling you today? I would talk directly with the service manager; not merely a service writer who generally greets you when you pull into the service department. If the dealer cares at all, the service manager can straighten this out in short order. It may be necessary to have a factory rep down to look it over. But a new transmission would fix it and you would probably never have to deal with it again.

I would insist on a new transmission; not a rebuilt one. Do they even rebuild them? I'm not sure of that.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I'm not sure why you would object to a new transmission if it comes to that. The chances of a second transmission failure would be slight to none I would think.
OK, lets put ourselves in the OP shoes and get off the bandwagon of millions of cars with millions of miles with no issues. If you bought a brand new car for 2x,xxx drove less than 100 miles (two weeks or less of ownership) and had the transmission crap out on you how jaded would you be? How bent out of shape would you be?

ALL of us would be pissed and if you said you would be ok with it you are LYING.

OP: Most states would not allow a lemon law proceeding as its "one" instance. However I would NOT back down from a new transmission.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good luck op I'd be pushing for a new vehicle also. I would think the resale value on that car would take a hit also with a new or reman transmission being in its past. Personally speaking for myself if i saw that in a carfax report i would keep on looking for a different car. I would think the car was abused or a lemon. I doubt you'll get to choose another vehicle but I'd be screaming for one. Hopefully it's just something simple as a code error. Let us know how things turn out.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Speaking from experience here, your ultimate goal should be to unload this car. Value concerns are valid, but ultimately you peace of mind will suffer greatly now that you have been through this with a brand new car.

I would lodge a case with Hyundai Corporate asap as well as go up the chain of command at your dealer. Push for a repurchase of the car through those channels first. If that falls then begin the lemon process if you can or desire. Or try a trade/sale if this vehicle. I went this route due to youth and stupidity with my last car (Ford Fusion) after a month in the shop to get a reman tranny. It didn't work and the dealer told me they wouldn't touch it again until it failed.

Again, DUMP THIS VEHICLE!

·
Registered
920 Posts
OP I'm in nyc if I may ask which dealer is this. Also your right lemon law can't be put forth as this is a one time first time issue. Now if they fix it and the issue occurs again and again then lemon law claim can be made.
I would be upset as you. However also understanding that not everything is perfect there's a chance of it being a lemon off the line. (things happen and sometimes it's a matter of luck) I would definitely support what others have said and push for a new car or even a new transmission instead of a rebuilt one. Always keep polite and if needed go right to the top of corporate as I had to do it at one point.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Always keep polite and if needed go right to the top of corporate as I had to do it at one point.
+1. Although you may be extremely unhappy, resist the urge to yell/scream/cuss/get urban etc. But be firm and clear in you dealings with the dealer and Hyundai

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the call from general manager. As far i know they are still looking to diagnose the car. They told me that one of mechanic is driving the car to see what is going on ? I read about the lemon law and i know that i wont apply for it or i cant cancel it. well at least there is 10 years/ 100000 miles warranty for transmission. Tomorrow morning they will let me what is going on. If transmission is broken then manager told me that he will replace the car. if it is small issues then it will be fixes. The only thing which surprise me is even mechanics run diagnostic test and cant find out what is is going. They still don't know what is going on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP I'm in nyc if I may ask which dealer is this. Also your right lemon law can't be put forth as this is a one time first time issue. Now if they fix it and the issue occurs again and again then lemon law claim can be made.
I would be upset as you. However also understanding that not everything is perfect there's a chance of it being a lemon off the line. (things happen and sometimes it's a matter of luck) I would definitely support what others have said and push for a new car or even a new transmission instead of a rebuilt one. Always keep polite and if needed go right to the top of corporate as I had to do it at one point.
it is potamkinhyundainy.com located at 128th st. manhattan.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Sounds electrical. Usually those are a PITMFA to diagnose. Sounds like dealer is going to do the right thing. Wishing you the best in this endeavor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i called Hyundai headquarters and i made a complain. they open the case for me. seems they were very helpful. They will look at case and will contact to me regarding to resolve my issues. Guys thank you for your support and help.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
OK, lets put ourselves in the OP shoes and get off the bandwagon of millions of cars with millions of miles with no issues. If you bought a brand new car for 2x,xxx drove less than 100 miles (two weeks or less of ownership) and had the transmission crap out on you how jaded would you be? How bent out of shape would you be?

ALL of us would be pissed and if you said you would be ok with it you are LYING.

OP: Most states would not allow a lemon law proceeding as its "one" instance. However I would NOT back down from a new transmission.
Absolutely correct. Happened to me already. 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. Drove off the dealer lot and noticed no brake lights and no turn signals (I was driving behind my wife who was driving the new car). Had to leave the car there and it was ready next day. Few days later, can't shift out of park. Flatbed tow and I had it back the next day. Shot time later I notice tranny acting up. Valve body replaced. And that was only the beginning of the trouble that car had. Advice to the OP is see what they diagnose and take it from there. You hate to start off this way.

·
Registered
920 Posts
it is potamkinhyundainy.com located at 128th st. manhattan.
How would you rate there service and all? I bought mine at plaza in brooklyn and never gone back for service as there service dept suck. This dealer sounds like they will do the right thing. Hope its nothing major and the end result works in your favor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts