Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard this on the radio this AM - Sorry if it has been posted already

A total of 33 cars were tested in this first round. That figure includes different versions -- like hybrids -- of the various models tested. Most earned four-star ratings.

Only two cars -- the BMW 5-series and the Hyundai Sonata -- earned the top score of five stars

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/05/autos/new_nhtsa_crash_tests/

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's funny when a car scores a 5 star it's used in advertisment but when it does poorly they come out saying it doesn't refect real world crashes. Overall good job Hyundai. Too bad I have a 4 star Sonata, oh well. But when broken down it doesn't look like the Sonata does that well in frontal protection. Think the 4 star version only got 3 stars for front driver and passenger in a front collission. While the 5 star Sonata got 5 and 4 stars for frontal protection. The Sonata was saved by it's 5 star score on side and rollover resistence. I know some are going to argue that they would rather have 5 stars on front protection and less on the rollover or side impact.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
QUOTE (hancydan @ Oct 5 2010, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361415
Interesting. 2 versions of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata were tested. One built earlier and one built later. The later version performed better (5 stars) than the earlier version (4 stars).

I wonder when Hyundai started changing the design?
>>>>>>>Contributing to Hyundai's five star score was a quick reaction by the company when an early production run 2011 Hyundai Sonata earned an overall four-star rating.

To get the higher score slight changes were made to the car's structure and restraint system in June, Hyundai Motor America chief executive John Krafcik said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
589 Posts
Didn't they make their own freaking tests, like all other manufacturers, before launching the car? Hyundai apparently has the same mentality of 'fixing things later is cheaper than making things right the first time'. Disappointing, but at least 4 is not that bad, but not nice to change things around and screw early buyers. We won't forget :grin:.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Il give it six stars:

My 38 day old SE W/Nav and I will atterst to it:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to the Hyundai press release the "later versions" began on June 2, however the NHTSA site has July 2 as the cutoff date.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE (sonicice @ Oct 7 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361842
Holy cow! :imsorry:

That's a pretty serious looking wreck, you turned out okay though?

Kinda,

Three broken vertabre (L 2,3,4) and a major bruise just above my right knee (strange casuse I was hit from my left). The back is still sore but I think it'll be ok cause the breaks were in the "transverse process" which I understand are those litttle wings off the main spine. The bump is still evident on my leg and MRI shows "fractured" cartiledge which still gives me trouble.

All in all, I'm lucky to still be driving a replacement LTD and, if you hadn't guessed already, the other guy had NO insurance.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Notice how Hyundai made changes preemptively and Nissan said they would look into the results to improve the Versa's performance? What did Toyota do? Just issue a press release saying their car is safe enough. Hence why I didn't even darken a Toyota dealer when looking to replace my '04 Santa Fe. Toyota is the new GM...their thought process shows they simply don't care what anybody thinks of them. They've indoctrinated enough people into thinking their cars are the only well-build vehicles on the road.

A spokesman for Toyota pointed out that consumers should not think that the Camry has somehow become less safe. The lower score was the result of revised tests.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts