Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai replacement shields are over $ 200.

After market one is $ 51.

Anyone have any idea if the after market ones are any good for replacement.

Mine is hanging down on right rear.

regards,
tj

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Who has them for that price? Mines been busted since I hit an interstate alligator a couple years back. The best I could find back then was well over 100 so I fixed it myself. Not the nicest repair and hangs down further on a car that sits too low to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drizler,

Collision Parts Distributor, 1345 driverLane London Ont., ph. # 519-659-8205

LKQ Canada Auto Parts,1765 Pension Ln, London, Ont., ph. #519-455-1200.

On the internet it looks like LKQ has places all over Ont. and Quebec.

regards,
tj

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
If mine had a problem...I would leave it off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyundai replacement shields are over $ 200.

After market one is $ 51.

Anyone have any idea if the after market ones are any good for replacement.

Mine is hanging down on right rear.

regards,
tj
I just looked at splash shield when getting snows changed, the shield on my vehicle is two piece, right side and a left side.
the right side where it was hanging down at where you change oil.
the tech just took a tie strap and put it back in place, a quick fix.
have uploaded pic. of right side shield

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Right; it's a two piece that is attached in the center (both sections tied together) and on sides, front and back. When I have taken it down, I've just taken out all screws where it attaches to the frame.

So are you having an issue with one of the attachment points to the subframe or that the plastic is broken and you can't reattach it?

If broken, you could always put a piece of strap and drill some holes then secure with bolts. Don't have to be big and you can always spray paint black. You don't see that thing unless you lift the car anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
If mine had a problem...I would leave it off.

I’m not sure that such a great idea. With that engine have an aluminum base And it’s sitting so low down to the ground I don’t think I’d want you to Byam for Coldwater being tossed on it when hitting puddles In very cold weather. Remember aluminum doesn’t take kindly to shock cooling and besides it does keep a lot of the slop and gunk off of everything

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
My car is 8 yrs old with the bottom covered and see little difference as far as corrosion from my much older Buick with aluminum oil pan and transmission housing. In a lot of respects the shield will trap moisture...without one, it will dry-out better. The shield is probably there for better aerodynamics. :nerd:

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
After tearing up two on my Gen Coupe I got some corrugated poly sheet material and cut one out to fit. It's been good for the last 4 years and can take a lickin'!!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Got to remember that the manufacturer must seem to believe they add some value, as with all their cost cutting they would certainly leave them off.

In addition to the above reasons, I believe that the airflow through the radiator is directed "around" the engine, then down, and probably helps fuel mileage slightly with reduced drag from air moving under car/aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
"...I believe that the airflow through the radiator is directed "around" the engine, then down..." Pure conjecture on your part.
"...and probably helps fuel mileage slightly with reduced drag from air moving under car/aerodynamics." As I already mentioned...but thanks.

There are folks here...on many models that have them and leave them off, because they're a PITA and don't have access holes!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"...I believe that the airflow through the radiator is directed "around" the engine, then down..." Pure conjecture on your part.
"...and probably helps fuel mileage slightly with reduced drag from air moving under car/aerodynamics." As I already mentioned...but thanks.

There are folks here...on many models that have them and leave them off, because they're a PITA and don't have access holes!

Certainly not conjecture on my part. How can air not go through the rad and around, or maybe you might think it goes through the engine, when under belly pans are in place? Geez, our modified RX7 Turbo has an under belly pan that completely encloses the little rotary and I assure you the air has got to go around the engine and down under the firewall as there is no other place for it to travel, but that also must be conjecture on my part.

The only item you mentioned was aerodynamics, saw nothing about fuel mileage, dreaming again?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
"Conjecture" is not say you're wrong is it? How much more air would go through the radiator if the splash guard was removed? Air going around the motor does literally nothing to cool it...this is all done by the radiator, coolant, and the coolant pump.
And if you don't know that aerodynamics goes hand-in-hand with drag vs mileage...then this is your Dah moment. :huh:

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
I take the weather strip that seals the back of the hood at the cowl off to get more air flow on my Gen Coupe. There also use to be another panel that went back under the sides of the motor. It's long been gone though.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The splash shield is meant to streamline air under the car and is primarily a MPG addition. Air routing is taking into consideration during design.

With my MR2, people kept taking the bottom panel off at the fire wall and using "ram air" at rear pillar to force "cooling air" into the bay. Little did they know that the OEM design of airflow was from the bottom of the car, through the engine bay and out the vents in the hood.

I don't know about you guys but I spend more time driving the car than working under the car so Ill take the "inconvenience" two or three times a year that I need to access the underside of the car and take the MPG gains.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
My only point, really, is...if it got damaged I wouldn't replace it for $200+!

·
Registered
256 Posts

The Elantras don’t have access holes either. That damned 15 my daughter had was the worst PITA to change the oil in that I ever dealt with.
I wouldn’t put much stock in airflow concerns with those shields. Street cars don’t go fast enough to see any real benefit from those things.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
A lot of them "inexpensive" panels lack the rigidity that the factory Hyundai part has.. cheap panels are flimsy like soggy cardboard.. factory part is inject molded with reinforcement ribs to add rigidity..

I see the cheap stuff body shops forced to use by insurance company trying to save a few dollars..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could you just cut the necessary holes in it yourself? My 2011 GLS has a hole for the oil filter, and one for the ATF; not sure if it has one for the oil drain since I have only had it 2 months. But if Huyndai thought it was OK to have those holes for the Sonata, wouldn't they be OK for the Elantra?

The Elantras don’t have access holes either. That damned 15 my daughter had was the worst PITA to change the oil in that I ever dealt with.
I wouldn’t put much stock in airflow concerns with those shields. Street cars don’t go fast enough to see any real benefit from those things.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts