Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the site and looking for advice. Our 2012 Sonata with 104k that falls under recall 132 started getting a little noisier and within 2 days was suddenly making loud metallic noises, increasing at speed. We took it to the local garage, who said the engine is shot. We are going to have it towed to the dealer today. All recall work is up to date by the dealer.

My question is this - we use this car for daily commutes, so need it fixed and back home ASAP. What is the most effective way to advocate proactively for the required engine replacement without it taking months of our time, out of pocket costs and endless phone calls? I wonder if there is value in hiring someone more knowledgeable than we are about the recall specifics, and who is used to negotiating with dealers, to help expedite matters. Not sure how to find that person, but negotiating is not our strength. My spouse says we should just take it in to see what the dealer says, then fight back if they reject the claim of a new engine under the warranty.

I’d appreciate any advice! Thank you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Go to dealer, they have to put you in rental with no out of pocket cost, per the class action. Enjoy the free ride and that your car is in the shop not having the miles put on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to dealer, they have to put you in rental with no out of pocket cost, per the class action. Enjoy the free ride and that your car is in the shop not having the miles put on it.
We did exactly as you recommended and had a happy ending last weekend - new engine, no charge, minimal hassle! May have helped that we towed it to the dealer where we bought it (Johnson Hyundai of Cary), who had serviced it last, and recalls were up to date. We are glad that they did the right thing - definitely helps engender loyal customers. It’s a short warranty, 12/12, but hopefully will take our family another 100k++.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts