Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I purchased my 2009 Sonata Limited, it has had a rattle in the rear end someplace. Hyundai replaced brake pads, calipers, shocks, etc and checked sway bar but rattle still there.
It is especially noticeable in below freezing temperatures.
Anyone else have this problem or if you did, how did you solve it?

·
22,793 Posts
It's not grandma's teeth rolling around inside there from the move to the nursing home, is it? ;)

Seriously, I do know there have been "rattle" comments lately. A lot of which are from folks in the northern part of the country. The only correlation I can come up with is "cold weather." Others have remarked that their cabin squeak in the winter seems to subside as it warms up with the heater.

I know this is an inside rattle, but I found my sunglasses in the over head map console was my problem...while I'm looking all over the place. Everywhere BUT there. The echo effect?

Have you looked in every crevice, corner of the rear? Are the seats secured in their locked positions? Has to be something simple. That's usually the case. Not always, but usually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okie Rich
Thanks for your reply. Yes, have checked and double-checked the rear seats, have taken out the spare tire in the trunk and anything else that is in the trunk, tried some soft material in the trunk lock in case there was rattle there, but all to no avail.
Agree, it may be something really simple, but I'm still stumped and so is Hyundai.

·
22,793 Posts
Okie Rich
Thanks for your reply. Yes, have checked and double-checked the rear seats, have taken out the spare tire in the trunk and anything else that is in the trunk, tried some soft material in the trunk lock in case there was rattle there, but all to no avail.
Agree, it may be something really simple, but I'm still stumped and so is Hyundai.
Exhaust pipe, tailpipe, muffler tweaking around under there? Does it do it when cold and eventually become quieter, or go away, after driving a few miles? Quiet in the summer? I'm just throwing stuff out. I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should get someone to check the tailpipe, muffler, etc. Good idea. It seems most pronounced in really cold weather, and the rattle continues; it doesn't stop. Although there seems to be times when after driving for awhile, the rattle diminishes. I sometimes wonder if it is some part that warms up, it expands, and the rattle isn't as obvious. Or something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's loose ice moving around between the rear window and trunk, clean it up properly before you drive and no rattle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, it's not ice anywhere. I can hear that rattle when there is no snow or ice on the car whatsoever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bussman99
Could you describe the rattle/noise that your parking brake assembly made? did the sound seem to be at the rear of the car? what part of the parking brake itself made the noise?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My rattle does have a metal like sound, but I hear it mainly on rough roads and going over washboard bumps. On smooth roads, no rattle.
Did you hear your rattle all the time or as above?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
busman99
Do you know specifically what your mechanic did to the parking brake assembly to stop the rattle? for example, did they replace a part? or tighten something?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks busman99 for your replies and help. Don't know if my rattle is same as yours, but will check it out.
Anyone else have a rear end rattle problem in cold weather in their 2009 Sonata?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Noticed again today that when I first drove the car, it was minus 8 C and the rattle from the rear was very noticeable. Then after driving for 20 or 30 minutes around town, the rattle became less obvious, almost disappeared.
Almost as though something makes a noise when very cold, but when the car warms up, it reduces the rattle noise.
Does a certain part expand when it gets warmer, fits better and then doesn't make a noise? What car part in the rear would experience that characteristic??

·
Registered
81 Posts
by rattle, do you hear it inside or outside the car? If you hear a temperature dependent rattle, most likely something metal related.

I had this annoying rattling / creaking / crackling sound in the rear interior area of my 07 Sonata - primarily around the rear C-pillars and windows area - when the car is driving over rough pavement / bumps. I did a couple of things to eliminate the sounds.

1) I removed the C-Pillars to find that the clips that hold the pillar to the frame of the car are metallic and there's very little to no insulation there. So I cut a few thin strips of heavy duty duct tape, wrapped it around the clips and any other area that I see will come in contact with the frame.
2) As you remove the C-Pillar, you will see wires / airbag assembly with rubber sleeve may be touching each other. If you shake it a bit, you hear this plastic to plastic creaking sound that may sound like a rattling sound as well. I liberally put some foam tape in areas where wires are touching.
3) If you pull down your headliner from the rear, you will see there are 3 plastic clips that hold the headliner to the roof frame. A common issue with the NFs is the adhesive holding these clips to the headliner loosen over time. They make this annoying crackling / creaking noise when the plastic clip hits against the headliner in these areas where the adhesive loosed. You can choose to take down the headliner and reapply adhesive to the clips properly, but what I chose to do is remove the clips all together (the headliner stays up completely) and put a nice thick piece of foam tape on the end of the rear headliner so that it dampens any rubbing that may occur between the headliner and the roof frame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ac15
Thank you for your suggestions. Will definately check the C-pillar, etc and see if that is it. I have my doubts but will try anything to find it.
I've always thought that the rattle or thud some would say, comes from the truck area or underneath the trunk. But doesn't seem to be struts, brakes, etc because Hyundai replaced all that and made no difference. It was plus 5 C today (mild for winter) so I heard no noise at all. Very strange. Definately cold weather related whatever it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Starting to wonder if the rattle might be from the rear seats where they fasten back into the lock mechanism OR the trunk lock mechanism.
Has anyone ever found a rattle from those 2 areas? If so, how did you correct it?

·
22,793 Posts
Man, I saw this thread jump up to the top of the list and immediately clicked on thinking, "He found it!" Bummer. :( I sure hope you find this "whatever it is that's causing all this mischief." And, SOON!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts