Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still researching and some say very quiet and some say bit noisy.

Can you compare to your previous car and give impressions, stipulate "wind noise" or "road noise" (bump thump noise, road pavement whine) impressions.

Still need to do a test drive but test drives are short for a good impression.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Jul 27 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345194

Can you compare to your previous car and give impressions, stipulate "wind noise" or "road noise" (bump thump noise, road pavement whine) impressions.

I came from an Infiniti G35. Most of the time my Sonata Limited is quieter. Limited vs. GLS should not be dramatically different. GLS may be a touch quieter due to the cloth seats vs. leather.

Two things to consider:
1. These cars come with low rolling resistance tires that may be noisy on some road surfaces. I experience this occasionally on some roads.
2. 4 CYL engines are going to be a bit buzzy under hard acceleration. This is not an issue at cruise, just when accelerating.

Test drive a couple of them on different road surfaces.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This ones easy for me, and I dont even own a Sonata yet:

1. 1998 Pontiac Trans Am 228/224 .571/.568 112LSA custom Comp Cam, Hand ported LS1 heads with 2.02/1.60" valves, Hooker LT headers, with custom Y and SLP Loudmouth exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, LS6 intake manifold with custom intake induction system, !EGR, !AIR, !rear o2 sensors, customer Speed Inc tune. Car makes 405.5RWHP which translates to just under 500 crank HP.

2. 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1600 with custom Caddman intake and Vance & Hines BigShots exhaust.

Its safe for me to say the Sonata will be quieter in all aspects from my two current vehicles! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Jul 27 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345194

Concerning road noise in general (wind, tires, etc) I find my Sonata (GLS) better than my previous car (05 Taurus). One thing I have noticed though, is when I get gravel or other debris into the wheel wells it seems louder. Not sure if there is less insulation there or what, but I can definitely tell a difference. Overall I find it quiet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I came from a 2001 Maxima.

Wind noise is way better.
I havent really hammered it, still breaking it in. But engine noise is really no different.
Tires are noisy. But that was to be expected from cheap OEM tires.
Suspension is a bit more quiet.

Then again I came from a 10 year old car that needed virtually nothing other than fluids.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Coming from an '06 Chrysler 300 v6.

The Sonata is definitley more "thumpy" going over bumps. Engine noise is about the same. I think wind noise is better in the Sonata, but I was hearing a "whistle" sound on the hwy yesterday. Couldn't figure out why?

All in all, coming from a larger car i was expecting the Sonata to be way noiser, but it isn't. This is even with SE wheels on my GLS.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm coming from a 2000 MR2 spyder convertible. It is a lot quieter for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like my Sonata Ltd very much, for many reasons.
I had (actually, still have) a '02 Cadillac Seville and there's just no comparison.
The difference is like night and day, trust me.
Even though my caddy has over 150K on it, and needs new struts, it has such a wonderful ride and handling that the Sonata just doesn't even come close. My hwy mileage in the caddy is around 30, and my city mileage is about 17 if I take it easy.
Hard to imagine that my cadillac, with everything functioning perfectly (except the struts) is worth about 4 grand whereas my Sonata was supposedly worth 25K. In other words, I could have six of the cadillacs for the one Sonata ......

Anyway, even though it still doesn't have all the technology & comfort options of the Cadillac, I do really like my Sonata.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Louder than my 07 IS350 under normal driving.

Quieter than my 06 A4 2.0T under most conditions.

Don't remember my 04 maxima that much except the engine was loud and very thirsty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I came from a 2009 optioned out Honda Accord. The Sonata is noticeably more quiet for both wind and road noise. The Accord was bad enough that at times it was difficult to talk on the Bluetooth connected phone. I changed tires to a set that rated well for road noise, and added spray on sound proofing. Combined there was a slight reduction in noise, but not enough in my opinion. The Sonata is still more quiet. it may not be as quiet as a Camry, but it's quiet enough for me that when I'm speaking on the phone or talking with passengers, I no longer feel like I'm competing with the road and wind noise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The TDI engine is noisy - no getting around it. Also general wind/road noise from exterior can be heard inside cabin.
I have a problem with wind noise on my driver's door. I've been to the dealer 7 times to try and get this fixed but no luck.
I am going to have to learn to live with it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
its not as quiet as i would like it

wind noise is virtually non existent but the road noise if very noticeable on the highway compared to my van

then again, that is raising a high standard since vans sit higher off the ground so i guess the sonata is quieter than most sedans on the road but cant hold a candle to suv's/vans

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm coming from a 2006 Acura TL and the Sonota Limited is a good bit louder. As another person said, I think it's the tires. My TL had nice big sticky tires. I think these are harder and might be over inflated. I need to check.

This is my biggest complaint about the Sonata so far. The other one is why the voice command recognition. Not as good as I had hoped.

BUT, for 10k less it's a very nice car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not quite on topic, but ......
the other day I got a rental car from Alamo, and I chose a Hyundai. basic model, mind you, but I thought I'd run it through some paces that I'm not yet prepared to do with MY baby, a Ltd model.
The electronic stability control as well as the anti-lock brakes work just great under some punishing test runs.
And highway speed? I got it up to 125 quite quickly, I thought, and it was riding quite smoothly & controlled, but of course the 4-banger was howling at over 5K.

anyway, just thought someone might like to know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just bought my limited yesterday. Took a 200 mile roadtrip today.

I must stay I was not impressed with the sound proofness of the car. Basically just as much road noise as my 2003 Taurus.

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (tom53086 @ Sep 20 2010, 02:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357361
Just bought my limited yesterday. Took a 200 mile roadtrip today.

I must stay I was not impressed with the sound proofness of the car. Basically just as much road noise as my 2003 Taurus.
2 things for sure you will NOT get with any Hyundai:

1. Limited road noise.
2. A suspension that shields you from feeling the bumps in the road.

·
Registered
817 Posts
As was posted in another thread:

This reference - Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Y20 Korean Spec - shows that the 2011 Sonata is quieter (wind noise) then the previous Sonata, the current Accord and Camry and right in the middle regarding road noise.

So, it would seem that the Sonata's road noise is not out of line in the class.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts