Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
TL;DR version: my car went in for warranty repair for the same thing as the recall.

Ironically, earlier this week my car got back from the service.

The day before, I parked the car as usual, started charging, and left the garage. Next morning, my wife tried to start the car. It didn't, so she took her car. I later tried to start it, and it wouldn't, just showed "Check hybrid system".

I had it towed (free Hyundai Roadside assistance) to the dealer (two blocks from me), they took it in on Thursday. Then called me on Friday and said they did the diagnostics, found codes P1B77 (inverter fault) and P1BA7 (overcharge detection). So they ordered both "CPUs that control the charging system and their harnesses".

The parts came in about Wednesday this week, and on Thursday I got the car back. I hope they replaced the exact parts that are under this recall. At least the symptoms are exactly the same. End of story here.

Remarks:
1) It was warranty repair, so no charge to me for the labor, parts, or towing.
2) I had children car seats in the back and stuff in the trunk. They took out everything and threw it back in, it felt like my car was raped. Note to people doing the recall: clear out the trunk and the rear seat.
3) Hyundai corporate only authorized $20 a day for a rental car. Which at the cheapest rate yields me 1/2 of a Chevrolet Metro (I would imagine) a day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another curious bit, for everybody's information.

Before the issue, my range dropped from 27 miles to 25 miles. It also felt that miles ticked off the remaining electric range faster than before.

After the ECUs were replaced, my range is back to 27 miles. It also feels like I can drive for longer on each electric mile, if that makes sense. My normal commute to work and back used to take solid 6-7 miles off my range. Now it takes 5-6, day after day. Sometimes I somehow manage only 4 miles ticked off. Go figure.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Before the issue, my range dropped from 27 miles to 25 miles. It also felt that miles ticked off the remaining electric range faster than before.

After the ECUs were replaced, my range is back to 27 miles. It also feels like I can drive for longer on each electric mile, if that makes sense. My normal commute to work and back used to take solid 6-7 miles off my range. Now it takes 5-6, day after day. Sometimes I somehow manage only 4 miles ticked off. Go figure.
That makes some sense to me. Even with my regular hybrid it seems like electric efficiency (due to the battery or computers) has done a bit down. As in the energy level ticks off a bit faster given the same driving conditions resulting in a bit less efficiency.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Very interesting. I noticed I can get an indication of 27 mile range most times with a 230V charger but almost never with a 115V charger.
Also, now that temperatures are warming, I am getting 10-15% more real range even though the car's State of Charge range indicator said no difference from December. YMMV, I live in rather mild climates.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I received an e-mail about this recall. About a year ago I had episode of car loosing power while on freeway. The car was in dealership for a week. They came up with it being a failed Oxygen sensor. I called my dealership and had them look up my records to see if perhaps this was related to my incident of car loosing power. They said according to records there was no connection and that the part had not been replaced.

According to the service rep, the recall just opened today and that they were just starting to process. He told me I would need to bring in car and leave it. They would do then order the part and I could then take the car home and wait to bring it back in 2 or 3 days when part arrives. This makes no sense to me. Why don't they go ahead and order part now and then I will bring in car. He said that it doesn't work that way that you have to bring the car in and then they can order the part. According to the article all of the PHEVs built in 2015 through mid 2017 have this issue so why do they need to examine the car before they order the part?

I told him I would wait a couple of weeks and hopefully they will have the process worked out by then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked at the MyHyundai website and it shows that the PHEV recall went live today. I called my Hyundai service and they will order the parts needed and give me a call to set up a service appointment when the parts arrive. There was no reason to take in my car to see if it was under the recall. I can't imagine they need more than the VIN.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just looked at the MyHyundai website and it shows that the PHEV recall went live today. I called my Hyundai service and they will order the parts needed and give me a call to set up a service appointment when the parts arrive. There was no reason to take in my car to see if it was under the recall. I can't imagine they need more than the VIN.
I want to wait a couple of weeks before I start the recall process. For one thing I am busy the next couple of weeks, plus I figure I am better off waiting so the tech that does this recall has had a little practice. I also hope that they will no longer insist that you bring the car in just so they can open a case and then order the required parts. According to the article, ALL phev's made in 2015, 2016 and part of 2017 require the replacement. If the service person still requires that I bring the car in before they will order the parts, I will at least ask to speak to the service manager.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I received the mailed notification today for my 2016 PHEV. It's been a while since I've been on here and I missed this, got the notice and came straight here and was glad I found this thread.

I will contact my local dealer tomorrow to ask about the process.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my vehicle repaired under the recall today. There was no need to go to the dealer before hand. I just waited until the parts came in to complete the recall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had the recall work performed today. I called and they ordered the part ahead of time. I got the car back and the batteries were completely depleted. When I put it on the charge it had a time of 3.5 hours to charge on 240v. I've never seen that before.

Also, after the service the charging indicator light now blinks while charging. Prior to the service it used to stay solid. Just and oddity. What's everyone else's normal behavior for the charging indicator light? Does yours blink while charging or remain solid?

·
Registered
141 Posts
No blinking lights

Had the recall work performed today. I called and they ordered the part ahead of time. I got the car back and the batteries were completely depleted. When I put it on the charge it had a time of 3.5 hours to charge on 240v. I've never seen that before.

Also, after the service the charging indicator light now blinks while charging. Prior to the service it used to stay solid. Just and oddity. What's everyone else's normal behavior for the charging indicator light? Does yours blink while charging or remain solid?

My charging light stays solid and the traction battery wasn't depleted that I recall.

So either the tech at my dealer did the recall correctly or threw the new parts in the garbage and said he/she did it.

The following parts where installed: battery management system and new wire harness.

The tech also reprogrammed the ECU.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Recall 175 VPD replacement was done on my ’17 PHEV Sonata last week.
Everything went smoothly, was an all day affair. Folsom Hyundai provided a rental car for the day.
I did bring my car in earlier to insure we are on the same page.
Apparently there was some earlier communication where the car had to be visually ID’ed to confirm mfg date and vin. Parts were ordered and took 2 days to arrive - I am ok with that.
The work is more involved than I expected.
Battery BMS, Wiring harnesses replaced. 37513- E6520, 37513-E6620, 37517-E6520, 37517-E6620.
Chatted with Travis re Master Techs certified to work on hybrids/PHEVs – there are two at this time at Folsom Lake.
"Hyundai’s hybrids/EV platforms are here to stay as far as California is concerned – they are committed."
They provided me with a Dodge Grand Caravan minivan which was an interesting experience. There is an abundance of room, 7 passenger plus fold flat back two rows which resembles a pickup bed. I like that a lot. Interior was a bit gaudy but competent. What I cannot get used to is the 17 mpg city. Drove less than 50 miles, had to put 3 gallons in. That is $10.50. ($0.21/mi) That is ~6x more costly than my Sonata PI. I was happy to slip back in my comfortable Sonata for a quiet, smooth ride home.

Ps. 100 miles and no issues so far with the work. Green dash light stays constant on when charging, same as before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My charging indicator light was solid green whenever charging. Then I had to have the hybrid batteries replaced. Since then, it is always flashing when charging. My understanding is that this indicates that a charging schedule time is set. When I go through the screen settings to the charging schedule, it shows one item, but it cannot be edited or deleted and does not seem to affect charging. I wonder if this will change when I have the recall performed on my car next week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you ever tried the reset next to the tuner knob?
I have tried the reset button a few times, but not because of the blinking green charging light. I had to do that because of the "sound systems" locking up where the radio controls and Bluetooth stop functioning properly.

Interestingly, since the recall was completed on my PHEV last week, the green light is now solid when the car is charging.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have tried the reset button a few times, but not because of the blinking green charging light. I had to do that because of the "sound systems" locking up where the radio controls and Bluetooth stop functioning properly.

Interestingly, since the recall was completed on my PHEV last week, the green light is now solid when the car is charging.

Well that's good news for Jim. It appears the dealership tech can fix the blinking light issue with their fancy tools as long as the tech knows how to use them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked the build date and VIN for my 2017 PHEV...

The date range doesn't look like the only criteria, apparently.
My build date is Aug 30 2017 (which is 1 day before the range's end date).
But, my VIN doesn't bring up this campaign/recall on Hyundai's Campaign VIN check site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the recall completed today. Interesting that before the work green charging light flashed. Now it’s solid. Not sure if I should be concerned (or should have been) but based on comments on this forum solid green charging light is normal?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts