Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the market for a new vehicle and have been quite impressed with the Sonata in many aspects. Just a question for anyone who might have had the same decision: " Is it worth going to the GLX model for the ABS and some luxury perks; or is the GL with some added options a better deal??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that model equipped with TCS (Traction Control) and ABS. I have not been satisfied with the TCS because:

1) In heavy rain, it causes the car to veer in unexpected directions when travelling on the freeway at speeds above 45.
2) When accelerating through a wet patch, such as you might find at a dry intersection with damp paint stripes or rain gutters, the car will seem to "lug down" momentarily even after it's passed into dry territory.
3) TCS was overactive when using the mini spare tire. Hyundai issued a recall to change the mini spare size to correct the problem, but my spare is the correct size - so it appears to be an unsolved problem. Probably would not be a problem when the mini spare is used on the rear wheels.
4) Results on ice and snow also seem unpredictable.

As far as I can tell, the problem is the TCS computer lags .75 seconds before returning the car to normal operation after a slick patch has been traversed. On the freeway at 60MPH, if one wheel goes through a deep puddle, the car travels about 66 feet (15 car-lengths) beyond the puddle before the TCS turns off. So for that distance, the car feels like it is pulling hard to the side opposite the puddle. Enough to put you halfway into the next lane, if you are not alert.

Luckily, the TCS can be turned off, but it always defaults back to "ON" when the car is next started.

HOWEVER, the ABS seems to work quite well! I've had opportunities to apply the brakes HARD in wet weather, and the car stops quite straight, while giving my braking foot quite the vibrating massage as the ABS works hard to correct for my indiscretion.

I drive pretty aggressively, so I frequently experience the effects of TCS and ABS.

Buying the model with TCS and ABS usuallly requires that you also get a sunroof as part of the "package". Be aware that if you are at 6'1" tall or more, the sunroof decreases headroom by 2". I'm 6'1" and I end up driving with the seat reclined slightly more than comfortable, in order to avoid having my head constantly hitting the sunroof.

One thing I do love about the car, the Shiftronic transmission which allows you to shift up and down just by bumping the shift handle forward or backward - I love that in the mountains. It's optional in the base Sonata, standard on other models. If you drive the least bit "sporty" you should have that.

If I could order the ideal Sonata, it would be a base model with the 2.7L V6, auto, and ABS, but skip the TCS and sunroof. According to the factory literature, that should be possible, but truthfully I doubt you can get that configuration from a dealer. ABS is usually combined with TCS and sunroof in a package.

By the way, the base nmodel has 15" wheels whereas the upscale models have 16" wheels. I have no idea what effect that has, overall. If you ever have to use snow chains, the 15" wheels may give you a bit more clearance. Certainly with the GLS, there is clearance only for the low-profile devices.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by barryrc@Aug 1 2004, 06:49 PM
Just in the market for a new vehicle and have been quite impressed with the Sonata in many aspects.  Just a question for anyone who might have had the same decision:  " Is it worth going to the GLX model for the ABS and some luxury perks; or is the GL with some added options a better deal??
[snapback]644[/snapback]​

1 - 2 of 2 Posts