Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited and am reading the manual.

I've noticed that the manual isn't very clear on which models have which features, or which ones use which parts.

I am wondering if there is any way to map the different "Type A", "Type B", "Type C", etc. options to the trim, (e.g. SE, Eco, Sport (2.0T), Limited (2.0T)) as well as the add-on packages.

For instance, the headlamps. The manual mentions a "Type A" and a "Type B" with three different bulbs. One of them has a single bulb for both High and Low beams. The other has two separate bulbs for the High and Low beams. How am I supposed to know which one my car has without opening the hood and figuring it out on my own?

It seems ridiculous to read the manual and still not know what part you need for your car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Look at the front of your car, take a picture, upload it here and let us help.

Or since you have a 2017 that I’d imagine is still under warranty, bring it to the dealership (although I’m not sure if headlamp bulbs are covered under the warranty — never had a new new car or one with manufacturer warranty on it so i can’t call this one)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check owner's manual, quick reference-instrument cluster.
There's a picture of A,B,C,D
This is no help in determining what headlamp bulb I would need. But your point about pictures helping with the A,B,C I understand, but it is of little help if you are away from your car when reading the manual.

Look at the front of your car, take a picture, upload it here and let us help.

Or since you have a 2017 that I’d imagine is still under warranty, bring it to the dealership (although I’m not sure if headlamp bulbs are covered under the warranty — never had a new new car or one with manufacturer warranty on it so i can’t call this one)
I'm not actually looking for a new headlamp bulb (the headlamps are fine), that was just an example. My question was a more generic one. "How am I supposed to know what my car has by just reading the manual?" I think the answer is "there is no way to tell what your car has by just reading the manual".

Which is ridiculous. I haven't owned that many cars, but the ones I have owned always had a manual that described what features were available on which trim, none of this confusing type A, B, C, etc.

Another example is the electronic seat adjustment. I wanted to know how to adjust the lumbar setting. In the manual it had an "A" and "B". So, I didn't know which one my car had, so I had to go out to the car and check which one it was.
Yes, I know this is a minor inconvenience, but to have to do this for almost every feature of the car becomes tedious.

Not to mention the "Reverse Parking Aid" function I thought my car had because there was no "(if equipped)" stipulation on this one. Such a disappointment when it didn't work. I understand that this is just a mistake in the manual, but it is a mistake that was mentioned here in these forums for the 2015 model back in 2015. They even told Hyundai about it and they said it would be fixed in the manual, but here we are, with the 2017 manual having the same mistake.

Of course the "(if equipped)" is just another variation of "Type A, B, C" that leaves me not knowing if my car has it or not without going outside and checking (which is not always possible, particularly if it is something like the headlamp bulb that would be a pain to check).

I guess I am wondering if there is a supplemental manual that has a mapping of each trim to the features it has from the manual. Maybe I am just missing that part of the manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bro, this is a face palm moment. I mean seriously you created this post. Use the IC reference as mentioned above.

Congrats, you’ve been spoon fed.
Are you saying that if the IC matches my car in that picture, (mine is Type A), then every mention of Type A in the manual is a reference to my car? Because that is just not the case.

I'm really impressed by the "Heated Steering Wheel" section, a feature that is not even available for the 2017 Sonata. The manual is, how should I say it?.. lacking...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And before you say it, I figure that the manual is the way it is because they want to be able to use the same manual in different countries where the Sonata has features that are not available in the USA and also have different trims that mix and match features in different ways than in the USA. But that still is no excuse for not making things clearer by having a separate pamphlet that says what features are in each USA trim (and of course separate pamphlets for other countries).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just got a used 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited and am reading the manual.

I've noticed that the manual isn't very clear on which models have which features, or which ones use which parts.

I am wondering if there is any way to map the different "Type A", "Type B", "Type C", etc. options to the trim, (e.g. SE, Eco, Sport (2.0T), Limited (2.0T)) as well as the add-on packages.

For instance, the headlamps. The manual mentions a "Type A" and a "Type B" with three different bulbs. One of them has a single bulb for both High and Low beams. The other has two separate bulbs for the High and Low beams. How am I supposed to know which one my car has without opening the hood and figuring it out on my own?

It seems ridiculous to read the manual and still not know what part you need for your car.
I have 2017 Limited and it's really not that hard to figure it out, for example - headlights, if you look up close do you see 1 or 2 main bulbs, Type A has 2 and Type B has 1, you could turn them on and see how many light up, ? The rear Type will match your front type on Limited. You could ask local Hyundai dealer to check Vin and tell you, you could check on line but that may not be 100% accurate. And as another member mentioned, posting picture(s) will help us help you. And yes I did marked in my book what I have :). Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2017 Limited and it's really not that hard to figure it out, for example - headlights, if you look up close do you see 1 or 2 main bulbs, Type A has 2 and Type B has 1, you could turn them on and see how many light up, ? The rear Type will match your front type on Limited. You could ask local Hyundai dealer to check Vin and tell you, you could check on line but that may not be 100% accurate. And as another member mentioned, posting picture(s) will help us help you. And yes I did marked in my book what I have :). Good luck and have fun.
I appreciate your reply, and I understand that if you have the car handy and don't mind looking at every part in your car, you can figure it all out.

My point is that, by just looking at the manual, there is no way to figure it out.

I had the manual for my car long before I had the car itself, so I was trying to figure out what features I was going to have. For the most part, I was able to figure it out, but I had to use many sources on the Internet to do so.

But even after that, I still had some things wrong, like expecting the heated steering wheel and the parallel parking side mirror thing. Figuring out the headlamps wasn't that difficult by going to various sites that sell bulbs and putting in the year/make/model but even with that there were discrepancies and therefore doubts.

Yes, if you have a specific thing you are concerned with, and you have the car nearby, you can probably figure it out from the manual. But I dare you to go through the entire manual and mark everything your particular trim has. How long will/did this take you? It is a daunting task and not something anyone should have to do just to have a complete list of everything in their particular trim.

The manual is so thick because it repeats a lot of stuff. You can read one section and then start reading the next one and it says the exact same thing over again. It also includes documentation on things that don't even exist in the US version of the car with no explanation (I understand why they do this, but it should be explained somewhere).

Maybe most people don't read their manuals like a book, maybe they just use it as a reference, maybe that is my problem...

Anyway, I've had Hondas and Toyotas and neither of them did this in their manual (they had US specific manuals that mentioned all the trims and which feature related to each trim), although it's been a while since I've had a new car, so maybe they all do this now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is no help in determining what headlamp bulb I would need. But your point about pictures helping with the A,B,C I understand, but it is of little help if you are away from your car when reading the manual.

I'm not actually looking for a new headlamp bulb (the headlamps are fine), that was just an example. My question was a more generic one. "How am I supposed to know what my car has by just reading the manual?" I think the answer is "there is no way to tell what your car has by just reading the manual".

So hypothetically if the manual is too complicated you could hypothetically come here with a real question and someone would help you. Google is also really helpful. I don’t get the point of complaining how confuse you are at a hypothetical situation. Just a waste of time imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not hypothetical. I still don't know if my car has certain features, and I wanted it to be easy to find out and not to have to come on a forum or search the Internet to find out. The manual used to be the place to find this information, now they are lazy and want you to have to go searching for it.

Like I'm not sure if my car has that thing where if you are backing up it will beep if you get too near to something. I am sure I can find this out with a bit of Internet searching, or asking here, but I shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's not hypothetical. I still don't know if my car has certain features, and I wanted it to be easy to find out and not to have to come on a forum or search the Internet to find out. The manual used to be the place to find this information, now they are lazy and want you to have to go searching for it.

Like I'm not sure if my car has that thing where if you are backing up it will beep if you get too near to something. I am sure I can find this out with a bit of Internet searching, or asking here, but I shouldn't have to.
I did go through my manual and yes takes some time but it makes it easier to understand my car and what it has or does not like heated steering wheel which it does not have - no button on climate control panel. ABout back up help - do you see few round about 1 inch diameter circles on your rear bumper - if yes than you do and if not than you don't. You could Google it and download PDF manual which can be search quicker, you can search this forum for specific things or post a question here since this is great buuuuuuunch of people here. So if you are not sure about something on your Sonata look it up or ask us :).
I would assume that most car companies print one book for all the trims otherwise it will be a waste of paper to print so much.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would assume that most car companies print one book for all the trims otherwise it will be a waste of paper to print so much.

This.
Honda does exactly this, except that instead of “Type A-D” (for example), the trim is specified (EX/EX-L, LX, LX-P etc) along with region when necessary (Canada, US, NA, EU, etc). Every manufacturer has their quirks.

But like robertzkielc and others — including myself — have said, if you ever have a concern just ask us here. No one is here to attack you or capitalize on an argument about semantics lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This.
Honda does exactly this, except that instead of “Type A-D” (for example), the trim is specified (EX/EX-L, LX, LX-P etc) along with region when necessary (Canada, US, NA, EU, etc). Every manufacturer has their quirks.

But like robertzkielc and others — including myself — have said, if you ever have a concern just ask us here. No one is here to attack you or capitalize on an argument about semantics lol
Honda DOES specify the trim and mentions the regional differences. This is all I am asking for. The Sonata manual does not do that. The "Type A", "Type B", etc. stuff does not directly correspond to any trim, it is just the different variations they have for that particular thing. The next described thing will have other variations (Type A, Type B, etc.) but they do not in any way correspond to the types in the first thing. So you could have Type A for the first thing, but Type C for the next thing, and Type B for the next. The only way of determining which of the types you have is to do further research.

Instead Hyundai chose to go with a more generic manual that can be used in multiple countries without indicating which trim, in which countries has each feature.

For instance I know that Canada has the following trims for the 2017 Sonata: GL, GLS, Sport Tech, Limited, and Ultimate 2.0T

These differ from the USA trims (even the one that is named the same has a different configuration). So rather than go through the "trouble" of mentioning which models have what in the manual, they just don't do it...and apparently have no supplemental documentation (a different one per country) that you can use as a cross-reference to help you determine that. It appears that the Canadian models have a heated steering wheel, so that is one reason that it is mentioned in the manual, but of course the manual does not say "(not in USA models)" or "(Canada only)" or whatever, because they want you to figure that out on your own. I am pretty sure that this feature is standard in all Canada trims, so that might be why it does not say "if equipped" next to it in the pdf manual I have (I just checked the physical manual, and it DOES say "if equipped" , so maybe the pdf one is an older manual).

I completely understand not having a separate manual for each trim, but then you have the responsibility of clearly indicating which feature is standard or available on each trim. Hyundai chose not to do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... Oh my god. You’re still going.
If people stopped making excuses for a poorly designed manual, I wouldn't have to keep clarifying myself. I've already gotten the answer I was looking for; there is no supplement to the manual indicating what trim has what features, making the manual, on it's own, useless for determining what any particular trim has and doesn't have.

Note that I am not saying the manual is useless. Just that it is useless in determining what features a particular trim has if you don't have access to the vehicle in question or some other source of information.

There is no need to argue this point, as I believe it is pretty clear that this is the case (unlike, for instance, the Honda manual mentioned above)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If people stopped making excuses for a poorly designed manual, I wouldn't have to keep clarifying myself. I've already gotten the answer I was looking for; there is no supplement to the manual indicating what trim has what features, making the manual, on it's own, useless for determining what any particular trim has and doesn't have.

Note that I am not saying the manual is useless. Just that it is useless in determining what features a particular trim has if you don't have access to the vehicle in question or some other source of information.

There is no need to argue this point, as I believe it is pretty clear that this is the case (unlike, for instance, the Honda manual mentioned above)

Take the VIN number off of your car and do a VIN check on it. It will give you more information about your vehicle that should help you narrow down which type you should choose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take the VIN number off of your car and do a VIN check on it. It will give you more information about your vehicle that should help you narrow down which type you should choose.
Where can I do a VIN check that will give the list of features in a clear manner?

I had found websites that listed all the features of a VIN, but most of them were very cryptic, so it was difficult to determine what they referred to. However, I was able to use one sites results (vindecoderz.com) to compare to other VIN numbers of other known models I found on the Internet, so that allowed me to use the VIN of the car in question to compare it to other "Sonata Limited" model VIN numbers (some that had extra packages, and some that didn't). This eventually allowed me to realize the car in question was a Limited version without any of the packages.

But I still had the problem of "what does the Limited trim of a 2017 Sonata have in the USA?", and I still have this problem today, as I am unable to find a complete, clear, and concise listing of features that any particular trim has (yes, the Hyundai website does have a list, but it is not complete, and I assume that will go away after the next model year is released, so will not help those who plan to purchase a used 2017 model in the future).

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
. . . I guess I am wondering if there is a supplemental manual that has a mapping of each trim to the features it has from the manual. Maybe I am just missing that part of the manual. . .
Get a copy of the dealer's sales brochure for your model year. Copy the last page(s) listing the basic options for the 'SE' and then progress up through the series until the Limited 2.0T's options are listed. Each step-up lists those added options level (including the 'Tech' and the 'Ultimate' packages.)

This will give you a cheat sheet that you can carry in your pocket.:wink:

Of course, all bets are off for the 2018's mid-year "Plus" value-engineering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts