Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Sonata 2.4L 4cyl is very hard to drive when it's slippery out (snow, ice).

The throttle is so touchy, it just wants to spin as soon as you touch the gas pedal. It's manageable on dry pavement. It has always been like this since new, but this winter there's been so much snow I'm getting a little annoyed by it. Even with traction control I have a hard time making headway from a dead start.

Tires should be OK - only have 12,000 miles on them.

Is there a cure for this issue? Re-mapping EFI??

Thanks for any help! :mellow:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
My 2013 Sonata 2.4L 4cyl is very hard to drive when it's slippery out (snow, ice).

The throttle is so touchy, it just wants to spin as soon as you touch the gas pedal. It's manageable on dry pavement. It has always been like this since new, but this winter there's been so much snow I'm getting a little annoyed by it. Even with traction control I have a hard time making headway from a dead start.

Its not the fuel mapping. Stock tires suck.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Put in manual mode and start in second gear.

·
22,788 Posts
Its not the fuel mapping. Stock tires suck.
+ Tires. Most definitely: the tires. My OEM's were notorious for this when taking off in snow or ice-covered pavement, usually due to me giving it too much throttle. Once I bought new tires, I saw a "nearly zero" instance of this happening. Yesterday was a perfect example. Four inches of snow, she took off and plowed through like a champion. I was never that fortunate when the ContiPro's were on the rims. It wasn't a fault of the car that the tires sucked in snow and ice.

Other than changing the rubber under there, I'm not sure there is too much you can do to change it. Just ease out on the throttle to get her going and adjust as you go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

I was wondering about the tires, figured that was a major cause and it sounds like it is.

I'll try the manual mode too, since I won't change out tires until next fall.

Part of it is my fault, I have a heavy foot. I'm used to driving the work truck around all day and it has no power until you push the pedal halfway down.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
1st - tires
2nd - use manual mode
3rd - keep rpm's below 2000 as much as possible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I was wondering about the tires, figured that was a major cause and it sounds like it is.

I'll try the manual mode too, since I won't change out tires until next fall.

Part of it is my fault, I have a heavy foot. I'm used to driving the work truck around all day and it has no power until you push the pedal halfway down.
Try turning on Eco Mode. It will take more throttle pressure to make the car go and will ease the jerky-ness issue you are having. Starting in second is also a good suggestion for snow or ice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
2013 stock tires are the worst

·
Registered
343 Posts
Put in manual mode and start in second gear.
Plus one on this. Seems many folks fail to realize there's a way to drop into a lower gear when first starting up. I do this all the time with my Sonata and haven't run into any issues whatsoever. When you get into 'D', just pop the shifter to the left to go into manual mode. Even from a dead stop, if you push the selector forward once you'll see the number 2 show up in the gear selection. Just slowly apply throttle and off you go!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
Another tip for OP: If you can, try to leave yourself a little room (.25 to .5 car length) between your car and the next one in front of you. That way, when time to go your car can roll just a bit and you wont spin as much. Something like a low-speed rolling start.

But yea, tires and starting in 2 will help out quite a bit. Also, don't stop on the crosswalk/stop bars at intersections. Those things are very slick (regardless of weather).

·
Registered
18 Posts
touchy throttle

Twinpoint:

Your issue is not having winter tires on your sonata. The stock tires are 3 season and if you drive in a winter environment (snow & ice) 2-4 months a year, then you need a tire that has a snowflake symbol on it i.e. a winter tire!

rp

·
Registered
40 Posts
Change 'em .

Stock tires are a hazard in the snow...
Mine had 5000 miles on them and I took them off.
Spent $800 getting good Continentals on them.
Search TireRack.com for lots of info (or read the MANY threads about this issue)
My dealership acknowledges that there is an issue and Hyundai needs to recognize the regional nature of tires for our country...if you get snow...you need better tires.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Sonata seems to hold the upshift if there is a lot of wheel spin. This allows more torque to be applied instead of the Traction Control System intervening by cutting the throttle or upshifting thereby reducing wheelspin (My FWD Veracruz does a better job in this aspect). And yes... I do use winter rubber. Using the manual mode and starting in second gear does help reduce the torque.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the problem is you're stepping on the gas too hard for wheelspin to occur. Ease the throttle and try ECO mode as some suggested. The second problem is that traction control in the sonata is the worst. Honestly, a mazda 2 has better traction control. It can detect wheelspin almost instantaneously no matter how slow your wheels turn and automatically helps you to regain traction. The sonata on the other hand just loves to spin its wheels really quickly and then tells you that traction control has kicked in.. a little too late

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sometimes its hard to be light on the throttle when other are impatient behind you. The traction control just seems to be lacking in the throttle cutting during front wheel spin. It will apply the brake if one wheel spins more compared to the other side but not in the front to back wheel speed difference. I also use the ECO mode which does help a tad.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't have any trouble starting off slowly in snow/ice, it is not jumpy at all.

If you just barely touch the pedal and it jumps ahead then maybe you have a bad throttle sender. The throttle in this car is not the old style cable affair; there is an electronic sender hooked to the pedal and the signal from it goes to the computer. Perhaps that sender is defective. I would go to the dealer and tell him your symptoms, they should have a detailed test procedure to see if the thing is bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts