Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed when I drive my Sonata in the rain I can't see anything through the rear window at all! It's just covered with water coming down from the roof. It's been a while since I've had a sedan, is it like this with most cars? I'm wondering if a roof spoiler would take care of this problem (what an excuse to buy it!).

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jun 22 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335200
I've noticed when I drive my Sonata in the rain I can't see anything through the rear window at all! It's just covered with water coming down from the roof. It's been a while since I've had a sedan, is it like this with most cars? I'm wondering if a roof spoiler would take care of this problem (what an excuse to buy it!).
A good coating of wax makes this not a problem.....a spirited drive in my SE while raining yields the rain from the back glass getting wicked off. The faster I go, the faster it wicks off the back glass....

I don't necessarily like my hankooks in the rain but thats a different story

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed the same thing but after I applied Rain-x to all the glass it is no longer a problem and I have been in some torrental downpours here in the Chicago area in just the last couple of Days / Hours

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Noticed that my stock Hankooks sucked in the rain too, since moving to the Yokohama Envigor it's like a totally different car in rain and dry roads. But yeah I got the same issue with rain, will have to look at one of those coating products.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Jun 22 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335215
Noticed that my stock Hankooks sucked in the rain too, since moving to the Yokohama Envigor it's like a totally different car in rain and dry roads. But yeah I got the same issue with rain, will have to look at one of those coating products.

Souks: How have you liked your Yokohama Envigor so far? I was thinking about those as well since I can get them for a discount price.
Car will get out of dealer with tints, I should receive my HIDs by Friday, so I will install them during the weekend.
I was thinking of replacing the tires during the weekend as well. I don't trust the car/tires during rain/wet conditions (yet).
Next mod, strut bar and eventually Led fogs, and Turn-lights LED modification.

I would love to replace speakers, add an amp and a hidden sub, but I have not seen any threads about any modifications to radio yet.
So I will wait a little bit until someone irons this out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jun 22 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335200
I'm wondering if a roof spoiler would take care of this problem (what an excuse to buy it!).
Have you seen one that would fit and look well on a 2011 Sonata?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (LowBoost @ Jun 22 2010, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335227
Souks: How have you liked your Yokohama Envigor so far? I was thinking about those as well since I can get them for a discount price.
Car will get out of dealer with tints, I should receive my HIDs by Friday, so I will install them during the weekend.
I was thinking of replacing the tires during the weekend as well. I don't trust the car/tires during rain/wet conditions (yet).
Next mod, strut bar and eventually Led fogs, and Turn-lights LED modification.

I would love to replace speakers, add an amp and a hidden sub, but I have not seen any threads about any modifications to radio yet.
So I will wait a little bit until someone irons this out.
So far so good. Can't comment on noise as I upraded to 18" rim and tires from the stock 17" so right there I'm feeling a lot more bumps. It seems to handle a lot better to but it probably has to do with size upraded mainly. But in the rain the Hankooks were all over the place even in light rain. Since having the Envigor I'm fully confident diving in heavy rain and through large pudles. No hydroplanning at all. From the Tire Rack reviews it is getting solid reviews. The big selling point for me was price, $140 Canadian each for the 18" was a bargain, they also had a $80 mail in rebate when you bought 4 so $120 Canadian after rebate. Tire Rack had it the cheapest for sure.

I got my brother the same ones in 15" for his Corolla and he said it seems to ride smoother and quieter compared to stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I apply Rain X once a week. It is so effective that the rain slides right off the back windshield and I liiterally have yet to use my windshield wipers. Make sure to apply it with a microfiber towel all on one side, then fold the towel and rebuff all the windows. This prevents any smudges.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RBD87 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335498
I apply Rain X once a week. It is so effective that the rain slides right off the back windshield and I liiterally have yet to use my windshield wipers. Make sure to apply it with a microfiber towel all on one side, then fold the towel and rebuff all the windows. This prevents any smudges.
how do you find driving at night? any glare? I find rain-x to leave the windshield very glary at night...

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 23 2010, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335500
how do you find driving at night? any glare? I find rain-x to leave the windshield very glary at night...
I found RainX to leave a "film" until a good rain. That film seemed to cause a haze with oncoming headlights and caused the blades to chatter for a bit. I thought at first it was to heavy of a coat but no matter how light I got the same results.

Thats why I just wax the windows when I wax the metal.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rain-X is a big **** no. It will mess up your windshield trust me!

I'm going to try and wax the window, sounds like a good idea. What kind of wax do you use on the windshield NT2SHBBY?

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jun 23 2010, 10:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335514
Rain-X is a big **** no. It will mess up your windshield trust me!

I'm going to try and wax the window, sounds like a good idea. What kind of wax do you use on the windshield NT2SHBBY?
i would use any wax that claims to be safe on rubber. If it's safe on rubber, it's safe on anything. Klasse AIO would be a great start. Collinite 845 always works well for me.

EDIT: I seem to remember also using 3M hand glaze on my windows as well years ago....

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm not a fan of Rain-X either. But I think for everything other than the windshield it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Frankly, I just turn on the rear defroster in the rain and it seems to help with the visibility out the back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been using Rain-X on all my cars for years and have never had a problem, you just need to make sure that you do the wipe down with a clean cloth or paper towel to prevent any smudges or glare, I use about 4 or 5 blue shop paper towels for wiping down the windshield.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (JohnMD @ Jun 23 2010, 10:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335526
I have been using Rain-X on all my cars for years and have never had a problem, you just need to make sure that you do the wipe down with a clean cloth or paper towel to prevent any smudges or glare, I use about 4 or 5 blue shop paper towels for wiping down the windshield.
blue shop towels on a car??? :unsure: :crying: baby jesus is crying somewhere in a corner right now reading this.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think he meant on the windows he used blue towels! I still only use microfiber towels for everything on my cars. I think the tires are just fine in the rain. The first rain I didn't even use my wipers. I am just waiting for winter to see how the 18" rubber works in snow/ice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OMG, Yes I use Blue Shop towels for the Glass only, The Paint only see's microfiber towels.

Again Rain-x will cause glare if you don't wipe it completely off, It takes a bit of work but I feel
it is worth the effort

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 23 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335530
blue shop towels on a car??? :unsure: :crying: baby jesus is crying somewhere in a corner right now reading this.....

shop towels are not bad for the windows. Just as long as they are clean so that it doesn't leave any smudges just like any other dirty cloth would do. It doesn't matter what you use, whether its a microfiber cloth or a shop towel, it will get the job done right either way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (JohnMD @ Jun 23 2010, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335563
OMG, Yes I use Blue Shop towels for the Glass only, The Paint only see's microfiber towels.

Again Rain-x will cause glare if you don't wipe it completely off, It takes a bit of work but I feel
it is worth the effort
Actually, rain-x will not cause glare. The cause of glare is from a dirty towel.. it's common sense, if you use a dirty cloth, more dirt will get on the windows causing smudge and glare.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts