Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope you can help me here, I have been on the market for a new car, for pretty long time, gone through a ton of makes and models. Finally stumbled upon i40/Sonata 2.0 GDI from 2012-2013 Premium edition, with a manual transmission. I like the car, both the exterior and interior, the engines seem adequate for your regular commute and the included options are plenty enough. I have been reading around, and saw that people are having problems with oil burning, and some sort of cylinder wall shavings / damage, is that a common problem ? What common issues and weak points do these engines have ? As far as i know they 'sport a turbo.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Theta II engine is the problem and it sports a 2.0L turbo version as well as a 2.4L non-turbo.The problem appears to be more prevalent in the earlier YF models, the 2011s and 2012s.

Hyundai I think automatically gives everyone with that engine a 120,000 mile warranty, but has replaced engines closer to 200,000.

The engines may have an issue with oil-burning if you have the shaving problem. I don't know how common the problem was/is but if you're under 120K you're probably fine. Make sure you check for any recalls you might have on NHTSA.Hopefully by now anything that might have shown up was taken care of, but you can't trust all drivers to get recalls done, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE FREE.

Take care of your vehicle, get the oil changed regularly and check the levels.

And don't take my word as gospel. It's mostly just opinion and I'm going off what I know and have researched. I'm worried about this issue myself but as far as I can tell my car is fine and I got the software update to put me in limp mode if anything ever does happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts