Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my "Hybrid Safety Warning Do Not Drive" alert diagnosed. The alert happened when I was putting the car in park and was accompanied by a loud beeping alarm inside the car. Turns out it was the PRNDL Neutral Safety Switch. What an extraordinarily painful process it has been working with Hyundai! My car spent one day at a dealership who told me they could not duplicate the warning and the Hyundai Tech Line had never heard of that warning alert. Then it took three days and 200 miles on my car at another dealership to see duplication of error. Then only by chance, a Hybrid Task Team happen to be at the second dealership for some other cars and my car got a good look so it could finally get diagnosed. Not that it was even a Hybrid problem but the task team seemed to have a greater diagnostic skill set. Incredible that a warning like that was not documented in the the Hyundai Technician Manual or in the database that the Tech Line has access to. Even more incredible that an error message like that is not recorded in the on-board computer as a significant event. The Hyundai Customer Care Line has been unhelpful for the most part. I called daily to try and escalate my concerns. I finally got a sympathetic agent on day 3. She escalated my case for me and is trying to get me reimbursement for a rent a car. When I called back to get a status on day 4, the agent told me my case is "being reviewed". I love my Sonata Hybrid Limited but I sure hate working with Hyundai on a service issue for a Hybrid. At least I am finally on the right track now with a diagnoses. They replaced the part and they are calibrating the car with the new PRNDL switch this morning.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I agree rpm.
This forum is absolutely the best venue to get up-to-date information about Sonatas but that doesn’t mean it’s ALL good.

Here we have yet another poster who joins, makes weird and unsubstantiated claims that nobody else has or will experience and then vanishes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same warning come on my car. But they told me it was related to the actuator (these vents that open in the front of the radiator) to give more air? I found it seemed really absured to even have this "feature" on the car. I also have a check engine and red wrench. I hope your issue is fixed. My warning comes on when accelerating at very high RPM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are unkind. A warning to not drive your car when you have a lithium battery it in is no joke. And a manufacturing process that does not document programmed warning messages is a gap in process too. If they don't document how they made the car then they will have inconsistent quality, guaranteed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I own page 2..... :banana:

I have the same warning come on my car. But they told me it was related to the actuator (these vents that open in the front of the radiator) to give more air? I found it seemed really absured to even have this "feature" on the car. I also have a check engine and red wrench. I hope your issue is fixed. My warning comes on when accelerating at very high RPM.
AAF operation (Active Air Flap),, should have seen a note at center cluster saying something about AAF ??

I have replaced 2 or 3 of the flap assembly.. at first it was a flap replace, then they come out with AAF program update.. had flap replace here about a month ago myself, stored AAF DTC, and failed the actuation test via GDS in Software Management - manual Actuation test mode

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are unkind. A warning to not drive your car when you have a lithium battery it in is no joke. And a manufacturing process that does not document programmed warning messages is a gap in process too. If they don't document how they made the car then they will have inconsistent quality, guaranteed.
could you take a picture of that warning message?
i am sure a lot us want to see what it looks like

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our hybrid system warning went off this morning, telling us to pull over safely and shut off the car. I turned off the car and re-started and everything is fine, so far...

B

·
0 Posts
I have a 2012 Hybrid and I had my warning come on for the second time, Yesterday. Granted, it was -50 out...but the gas engine started just fine but it displayed a warning on the dash "Hybrid System Warning, Safely Stop and Do Not Drive". I wasn't driving, and I had just finished a 3.5 hour hwy commute to my destination. My car shut itself down and started clicking...I managed to get a picture and video of the warning because last time i took it to the dealer for the same warning (different set of circumstances) they laughed and told me I was crazy because they had never heard of this warning.

The original time I took it in, i was putting along to road at 40km/hr and the warning came on. At least the first time I was across the street from the dealer, yesterday I was out in the middle of nowhere.

I Spoke with multiple dealerships, including the one that my car was taken to, and they had all never heard of this warning. I'm currently waiting to see what the techs say about my car.

M

·
0 Posts
Same Issue

Had this same issue last week yet dealership told me it was due to an electric oil pump malfunction. The service desk said they had never seen it before and when they went to run the error code it was all in Korean, they had to call the help desk.

Here's a link to a picture of the Hybrid Warning.

Flickr: Secuencia de fotos de misygrl

·
Registered
91 Posts
This was one of three defect warnings my lemon law repurchased '12 HSH displayed on quite a few occasions, this particular one often enough to be videotaped three times in hope of proving a material defect. In my case, the messages were always displayed in English. I was dismayed to read a very early poster in this thread (possibly the OP) being accused of posting made-up messages simply to troll. This particular message actually stored as a hard code in the car's ECU, despite HMA's many contentions that the car never stored a single soft or hard code throughout my 17 months of ownership. The hard codes were retrieved and documented by an independent ASE expert. These days evidence of a party acting in bad faith is not impossible to amass.

I guess just like everything else in life, car forums attract all types of cooks as well as straight shooters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata "Hybrid Safety Warning Do Not Drive"

2012 Sonata Hybrid - Got same warning and alarm - dealership replaced hybrid cooling pump and since then have lost excellent gas mileage - down to 33 mpg highway. Hyundai and dealership says car running as built - looking to get rid of car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonata Hybrid alert

I have the same safety warning with my 2012 sonata Hybrid. The car 1st started to make jerking movements. I took it to the dealer and was told it needed 11 system updates. The updated were completed and two weeks later (with very little driving done) I had the Hybrid alert occur and had to have it towed to the dealer. They had it for a week and then changed a speed sensor and said it was fixed. I picked it up and made it 1 mile before it gave the same warning, made horrible "jerky" movements with the the loudest pop sound. There had to be an electrical surge as it knocked out the pairing with my cell phone. Now they want to put a new transmission in the car. That is crazy for a car I have had 16 months. I am hoping to have it declared a lemon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car Won't Start

I bought my 2014 Sonata Hybrid on June 14th this year. On July 14th, it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the dealership and after five days they finally found the problem. A blown fuse. They replaced it, car worked fine.

On August 13th, less than a month later, car wouldn't start again! It was towed to the dealership and is still there to this day (8/21/14). They had a guy come in from Hyundai to look at it today and he couldn't even figure out what the problem was. The dealer rep told me, "We can't fix it!" They're at a total and absolute loss. They don't even know what the problem is.

And I have no idea how much longer they're going to keep it. But I do know in two months this thing has been out of service going on 15 days now. Pretty outrageous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...the solution for me was

Had this same thing occur as well. Had the brand new 6-mth old 2014 Sonata Hybrid with 8,700 miles towed to the dealership. Like everyone was saying across all boards, they had never seen the error. They cleared the error after a day's research showed nothing and sent me home. Very next morning same issue. This time, after a restart the car allowed me to drive to the same dealership. I had printed out the TSB from the NHTSA for the dealer along with pics and mentioned that everything I could find said they'd have to call the FSE. They were wise; after a day of not being able to figure it out they called the FSE who had them do a pin test. Turns out for me, there were three pins from the Hybrid Battery connector that were bent. Once the FSE told them where to look they simply made the repair and not an issue since. However, I had a dealer that was good enough to listen and call the FSE. Some dealers wouldn't do that. If you run into the issue impress upon the dealer to contact the FSE and save themselves time. By the way this also has increased my gas mileage about 5mpg.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts