Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there my Elantra bretheren :) My wonderful wifey bought me this for my birthday after I mentioned that it would look cool on my Sky Blue 2012 Elantra GLS.

It is a tiny bit smaller however than the one on my car. The part number is 86300 4R100. I am pretty sure I can modify it to fit but I was wondering if maybe there is one that is an exact fit with the one on my E. Does anybody know?
Thanks -Frank

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
someguy would know, he has one.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Responded to your pm. Info for all

No it's not an exact fit but it's a great look. Even the holes and posts for hybrid emblem are slightly off. I cut off the posts on the back of the hybrid emblem and just attached it. I Measured and masked off with painters tape to line up properly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,793 Posts
Responded to your pm. Info for all

No it's not an exact fit but it's a great look. Even the holes and posts for hybrid emblem are slightly off. I cut off the posts on the back of the hybrid emblem and just attached it. I Measured and masked off with painters tape to line up properly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
3M tape for the attachment? How do you think it would look on a white E, buddy? You already know where I'm going with this, don't you? LOL

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
3M tape for the attachment? How do you think it would look on a white E, buddy? You already know where I'm going with this, don't you? LOL
The one I got came with the good 3M tape already attached. It was the official Hyundai part, just peel and stick.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I really think that would look awesome. If mines was white, this is a look I'd strongly consider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done! De-badged and re-badged. Whaddaya think?

P.S. I don;t know what that ghostly reflection is in the rear window. It wasn't there when I took the pic. Ooooohhhh scaawwwwy :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice job came out real good! im going to do the same i saw someone at the dealer today with it on. how hard was it to de-badge? did u use 3m tape?

·
22,793 Posts
That does look nice!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a pain to get the old tape and glue off. I started with a little heat and some dental floss. After you get the big stuff off get yourself some soft rubber - I used surgical tubing but anything made of soft pure rubber will do. Just rub off the remaining glue. Take it slow and easy and stop and clean every now and then. Finish off with some cleaning solvent, I used Prep-Sol but pretty much any type of mild cleaner should work. WARNING: DO NOT us a pencil or pen eraser with the hard abrasive side. You WILL SCRATCH the everloving crap out of your paint with those. Use soft pure rubber like the yellow/white surgical tubing. This is an old trick I learned when I was in the A/B business. 3M makes a rotating rubber eraser that you put in a drill that works like a charm. Be careful and go slow. Should take about 30 minutes to get the old stuff off and cleaned up. Then you will have to modify the new badge a little because the pegs don't line up with the holes. Before you remove the "H" badge, take some blue tape and roughly outline it in a way that gives you a reference for centering and leveling. Make some marks on the tape with a pencil if that helps. When you are ready to roll, take a wire snipper and cut the pegs off of the emblem close to the base. Then take a dremel or a piece of sandpaper or whatever and file it down to just below the tape surface. Clean it up, line it up with your reference marks and you are good to go! Happy blue "H" to you all! :D

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yep I used heat gun, dental floss, and lighter fluid for the leftover gunk. Just keep a bottle of quick detailing spray handy to get the lighter fluid off immediately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts