Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody, I would like your advice on an issue i faced with my Sonata Hybrid 2016, My Car currently has 42,000 miles on it and so far I'm quite happy with it,

However yesterday out of nowhere the Check Hybrid system Warning appeared while i was driving, The car drove normally and I didn't notice or experience any abnormalities like shaking or noise, The stranger thing is once i got home i turned off the car and on again and the error was gone, As of today I've driven it normally and the error has not reappeared yet, Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

To give a better description i had been coasting at roughly 80mph and the temp outside was about 81F so I had the AC running, I stopped at a traffic light and the error appeared shortly after i pulled out.

So I want to know is this anything to worry about or was it just a fluke?

· Registered
631 Posts
Is the "check engine" light still on and just the big one is off?

I had this happen in the first week of ownership when I went around a turn and the big one and the little "check engine" light (or whatever it is) went on. No discernible malfunctions.

I had it at the dealer in a half-hour but I turned the car off first. Upon restarting the car the big one was off but the little "check engine" light stayed on. They could find no codes and said that the next time it happens to drive directly to the dealer without shutting it off if possible because some codes are not persistent. The tech went through everything and said there are something like seventeen computers and he found what may have been a loose connector on one. It has never recurred, 3+ years and 46,000 miles later.

I'd schedule a dealer visit to get it checked out if just to get it on record that you had a malfunction while the warranty is still in effect. And if it happens again take a picture of it.

You also can run the diagnostics manually so try that if it recurs without shutting the car off first. I think you get to it by pressing the physical BlueLink button below the radio. It wouldn't hurt to do that now. I did manually run the diagnostics before I shut the car off (because I like to read owner manuals so I knew it was there) but it found nothing wrong. I suspect it really was the connector going loose for just a fraction of a second.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NXR71 for the helpful info, I never saw any check engine light, only the orange Triangle with HEV written in it, Once i turned the car off and on again it disappeared by itself and as of this moment (Been driving my car all day) it hasn't reappeared.

So its quite odd could be as you said perhaps a wire moved or something to trigger this error I'll certainly schedule an appointment to have everything check and verified, I'll also try and run the diagnostics now and see what happens.

Thanks a lot :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everybody, I would like your advice on an issue i faced with my Sonata Hybrid 2016, My Car currently has 42,000 miles on it and so far I'm quite happy with it,

However yesterday out of nowhere the Check Hybrid system Warning appeared while i was driving, The car drove normally and I didn't notice or experience any abnormalities like shaking or noise, The stranger thing is once i got home i turned off the car and on again and the error was gone, As of today I've driven it normally and the error has not reappeared yet, Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

To give a better description i had been coasting at roughly 80mph and the temp outside was about 81F so I had the AC running, I stopped at a traffic light and the error appeared shortly after i pulled out.

The electric water pump might be going out
H-E-v light would come on after a little bit of driving. I would feel vibrating on Idling on EV
And while I’m driving the cruise control randomly turns off.
I took it to the Hyundai dealership and they said there was a problem with the ELECTRIC water pump. I over paid for the part but I’m installing it myself.

· Registered
2 Posts
H-E-v light would come on after a little bit of driving. I would feel vibrating on Idling on EV
I took it to the Hyundai dealership and they said there was a problem with the ELECTRIC water pump. I over paid for the part but I’m installing it myself.

Also (months before my electric water pump went out ) if you’re going through heavy rain on your right side. It might show that light because the electric water pump got water in it. I turned off the car and turned it back on again and it went away.

· Registered
4 Posts

Hi you car is still showing that sign again randomly ? I have same issue as this sign comes while driving and goes after ignition on off

· Registered
4 Posts

I bought a used Hyundai 2016 limited hybrid in Dubai , don’t aware of many things in it , also some this there is a wired sudden noice comes in car from trunk side of back wheel like if there is a ball in the trunk but I couldn’t sort out where this noice coming from

· Registered
1,840 Posts

Hybrid has 2 cooling system, engine and Hybrid control

The "electric water pump" reflected in video is only for Hybrid control cooling.

The Hybrid coolant in the bottle on inverter flows coolant to cool inverter, HSG, and small radiator at front of car via this electric pump

Engine cool is moved by a different electric water pump, mounted below HSG on the LF HEV

The earlier YF HEV uses traditional water pump for engine cooling, an electric pump to provide hot water to HVAC when engine off, and an electric pump for the Hybrid control cooling (inverter & HSG)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts