Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fathers Sonata had to be towed to the dealer today because the temp gauge was pinned on H. I was at work when it happened but im guessing the electric fan stopped working. There was no fluid leaking when he got to my house.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My first guess would be a poss stuck- broken thermostat, BUT, please keep us informed as what really was the problem and how well the dealer was able to take car of your Dad's car.....

Side note.... There is a new Sonata campaign, TB6 (10-01-022) , Alarm Self Activates-Hood Switch Pad Replacement...Production range 3-16-10 thru 3-31-10.

·
Banned
630 Posts
if the 2.4 GDI engine is all aluminum, INSIST that the dealer replace the radiator, thermostat, complete coolant flush AND most importantly the head gaskets.

I learned this well from my Acura Legends--- if an aluminum block is allowed to overheat more than seconds, the head gaskets are fubared....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My father picked up his car today from service. The 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood for the fan was bad. They said it didn't blow but it was open (sounds like it blew to me). I hope it was just a defective fuse and not something else that made it blow....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
So do they know if the temperature gauge defaulted to 'HOT' to warn before damage occurred or if it actually overheated?

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 10 2010, 07:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331598
if the 2.4 GDI engine is all aluminum, INSIST that the dealer replace the radiator, thermostat, complete coolant flush AND most importantly the head gaskets.

I learned this well from my Acura Legends--- if an aluminum block is allowed to overheat more than seconds, the head gaskets are fubared....

You can demand, you can beg and scream, the dealer will not succumb to your demands. If its not broke, they aren't fixing it, should something break, then they will fix it, the car has a thousand or two thousand miles on a 100k warranty for 10 years. Do you really think they are going to break down and rebuild the whole engine? NO.

Pull the fuse that blew and see if it goes into the hot. Is this an aluminum block? Again, my V6 Sonata the temp gauge even with the fan off, the temp stays the same driving or idling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd have to agree that it shouldn't have overheated that bad that quickly. Unless he sat there without the car moving just idling for 15-20 minutes on a very hot day (90+) I don't see why it would overheat that quickly. The fuse isn't supposed to blow, the fact that it did is a red flag. Fuses blow when there is too much current, that means there was an issue. I'd demand more of a result than just replacing a fuse.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Jun 13 2010, 05:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332663
You can demand, you can beg and scream, the dealer will not succumb to your demands. If its not broke, they aren't fixing it, should something break, then they will fix it, the car has a thousand or two thousand miles on a 100k warranty for 10 years. Do you really think they are going to break down and rebuild the whole engine? NO.

Pull the fuse that blew and see if it goes into the hot. Is this an aluminum block? Again, my V6 Sonata the temp gauge even with the fan off, the temp stays the same driving or idling.
you can do what you want...****, let Hyundai walk all over you and convince you that your car is fine. In my world, I make the rules since I am the customer and they are getting MY money, not the other way around.

either they change the HG's and all associated cooling components or they can take their $26k wannabe Lexus and shove it up their korean bungholes for all I care.....I own 5 cars, I'm certainly not married to my Sonata

(obviously if the OP was me of course)

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 14 2010, 06:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332813
you can do what you want...****, let Hyundai walk all over you and convince you that your car is fine. In my world, I make the rules since I am the customer and they are getting MY money, not the other way around.

either they change the HG's and all associated cooling components or they can take their $26k wannabe Lexus and shove it up their korean bungholes for all I care.....I own 5 cars, I'm certainly not married to my Sonata

LOL! NT2SHBBY, you are a real American New Yorker if I ever saw one... :beer:

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 14 2010, 06:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332813

They would take the car back and re-sell it used before they replaced the HGs on a new car, giving the OP a similar model or even try to up-sell. The labor+parts they would have to pay to replace all that crap isn't worth it for the minor chance there would be an actual problem in the first-owners lifetime of the car. If you tried that at the dealer they would laugh at you. There's a point where customers become so unprofitable and argumentative that they aren't worth keeping. You wanna take your (at a loss, problematic and time-wasting) business elsewhere? Go ahead.

Best case is, they offer OP the extended warranty at a deep discount or dealer cost. I would argue for that, or exchanging the car. Deal with the dealer and Hyundai directly, and tell the dealer you are doing so. Hyundai will prolly have to OK (lean on them) to give you the extended warranty at cost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ Jun 13 2010, 08:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332706
I'd have to agree that it shouldn't have overheated that bad that quickly. Unless he sat there without the car moving just idling for 15-20 minutes on a very hot day (90+) I don't see why it would overheat that quickly. The fuse isn't supposed to blow, the fact that it did is a red flag. Fuses blow when there is too much current, that means there was an issue. I'd demand more of a result than just replacing a fuse.
It could have been a defective fuse. If it blows again, then I'd say it's a bigger issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.