Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the car; hate the noise. Very quiet up front, well-isolated engine and wind noise. Perhaps that is why I am hearing a bunch of road or tire noise from the REAR only. Noise varies somewhat with speed but it is driving me crazy. Somewhat muted with the stereo at volume level 12 (or higher). I have not been to the dealer yet but am wondering if something is NOT properly sealed or undercoated in the rear. I noticed the wheel wells are partially coated but mostly plastic. Plus, since this is a GLS, there is a large void in the underbody where the second muffler & associated hardware/piping goes on the SE. Not sure if the LIMITED model has additional sound deadening material but my GLS is too noisy. Any thoughts from the group on this?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have good news for you buddy: Only level of equipment varies between models, so higher-end model owners are the ones screwed by extra noise, since we had to pay more.

Now to your issue. Just traded a top-of-the-line Accord (a $31K EX-L coupe 6MT with Navi), and it was NOISIER. And not only that, it didn't have door sills, it had a hard-plastic rear deck, manual trunk and gas release, plain door panels, and many features not present on my 4-cyl Sonata. A lot of the tire noise has to do with cheap tires, but few of us feel compelled to spend on new tires on a brand new car, but when you switch, you'll likely find it quieter. Cars at this price point are all going to have similar levels of noise, with the possible exception of the Camry (for what I've read, but I've never driven one), but I much rather have a noisier cabin than drive an appliance like that, to be honest. Just crank the stereo a little more, and have the consolation that we Limited buyers have the same noise levels as your GLS. By the way, all Sonatas have a single muffler except the SE (by the way, there's a difference between dual exhuaust and dual mufflers; the SE has a single-exhaust like all Sonatas, but with dual mufflers).

Oh, do you want to feel even better? My M3 (the new model) is even NOISIER than the Sonata, and paid almost 3 times the Sonata. Talk about disappointment there. And no, I DO NOT have a tire choice; all tires available on stock sizes are the summer kind (a double whammy :grin: ), which are noisy as heck. Just crank up the stereo on rough roads and enjoy your new ride. Take care.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 15 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323182
I have good news for you buddy: Only level of equipment varies between models, so higher-end model owners are the ones screwed by extra noise, since we had to pay more.

Now to your issue. Just traded a top-of-the-line Accord (a $31K EX-L coupe 6MT with Navi), and it was NOISIER. And not only that, it didn't have door sills, it had a hard-plastic rear deck, manual trunk and gas release, plain door panels, and many features not present on my 4-cyl Sonata. A lot of the tire noise has to do with cheap tires, but few of us feel compelled to spend on new tires on a brand new car, but when you switch, you'll likely find it quieter. Cars at this price point are all going to have similar levels of noise, with the possible exception of the Camry (for what I've read, but I've never driven one), but I much rather have a noisier cabin than drive an appliance like that, to be honest. Just crank the stereo a little more, and have the consolation that we Limited buyers have the same noise levels as your GLS. By the way, all Sonatas have a single muffler except the SE (by the way, there's a difference between dual exhuaust and dual mufflers; the SE has a single-exhaust like all Sonatas, but with dual mufflers).

Oh, do you want to feel even better? My M3 (the new model) is even NOISIER than the Sonata, and paid almost 3 times the Sonata. Talk about disappointment there. And no, I DO NOT have a tire choice; all tires available on stock sizes are the summer kind (a double whammy :grin: ), which are noisy as heck. Just crank up the stereo on rough roads and enjoy your new ride. Take care.
Can't say i feel better after reading your response. Still going to have it checked out at the dealer; could still be a sealing problem or lack of undercoating in certain areas or crappy tires (although they aren't that cheap at $82 online at tirerack dot com). Stock stereo is pretty decent once you adjust equalization and fader. I leased this vehicle since i could never buy a newly designed product so I only have to tolerate this noise for 3 years. Perhaps the stereo solution is a good idea after all...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUMPED for visibility!
OK, was hoping for additional responses to validate or refute my noise issue. Lots of views but only one response. Here's how i describe what it sounds like: Imagine your driving on the highway with a rear window slightly open or a door slightly ajar (rarely happens, i know). I hear it behind me and it sounds like it's coming from the floorboard; not the window. Probably tire noise intrusion due to poor sealing or undercoating but still not sure.
OK, so everyone go drive your Sonata and report back...TIA

QUOTE (mcc17ss @ May 16 2010, 01:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323402
Can't say i feel better after reading your response. Still going to have it checked out at the dealer; could still be a sealing problem or lack of undercoating in certain areas or crappy tires (although they aren't that cheap at $82 online at tirerack dot com). Stock stereo is pretty decent once you adjust equalization and fader. I leased this vehicle since i could never buy a newly designed product so I only have to tolerate this noise for 3 years. Perhaps the stereo solution is a good idea after all...

·
Registered
78 Posts
OK, I'm reporting that my SE is overall the quietest car I've ever owned. Tire noise is a bit louder than my Fusion or the Accord I had before that, but then that's my fault for being a sucker for pretty wheels.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Phil the Canuck @ May 18 2010, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324037
OK, I'm reporting that my SE is overall the quietest car I've ever owned. Tire noise is a bit louder than my Fusion or the Accord I had before that, but then that's my fault for being a sucker for pretty wheels.
I'm a sucker for pretty wheels too, but then again they were on her chest. G'day mate...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Check to make sure that your tires are only inflated to the pressure listed on the door plate. (33 lbs for my Limited)
We have seen reports of cars being delivered with pressures as high as 50 psi. Having the correct pressure helps the ride and noise.

Also... my 2011 Limited is definitely a bit quieter than the Infiniti G35 I traded.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ May 19 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324447
Check to make sure that your tires are only inflated to the pressure listed on the door plate. (33 lbs for my Limited)
We have seen reports of cars being delivered with pressures as high as 50 psi. Having the correct pressure helps the ride and noise.

Also... my 2011 Limited is definitely a bit quieter than the Infiniti G35 I traded.
Tire pressures (including donut spare) were checked the first day i got the car. 33 psi for the 16 inch GLS tires also. They were set at 35psi which is pretty close anyway. I have a service appt this week to have it checked out. Will report back here with findings (if any).

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is what I am thinking of doing, I really think the road noise is coming from the wheel wells. I already got the best tires you can get, it helped but there is still noise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have installed the heavy duty rubber coated carpeted trunk mat and I think this has helped a little.($80 retail). Sounds like tire noise to me, but I do not notice it very much, or I am just getting used to it. We get the same complaint at work daily and it depends on the tire brand and tread style on how loud any noise mite be between identical models. Maybe your dealer can let you try a trunk mat out of a new car to try to see if it makes any difference for you.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (snapper41 @ May 25 2010, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326348
I have installed the heavy duty rubber coated carpeted trunk mat and I think this has helped a little.($80 retail). Sounds like tire noise to me, buts I do not notice it very much, or I am just getting used to it. We get the same complaint at work daily and it depends on the tire brand and tread style on how loud any noise mite be between identical models. Maybe your dealer can let you try a trunk mat out of a new car to try to see if it makes any difference for you.
I took the old, heavy cargo mat from my 2003 Maxima and installed it in my new Sonata 2 weeks ago. Noise is still quite evident and i do believe it is tire/road noise getting into the cabin from either the wheel wells or the uncoated underbody area. Had my dealer appt today and they test drove it and found nothing wrong (as I expected). I complained to Hyundai and now have a Case Number (FWIW) but i believe this will remain an annoyance forever. It is unfortunate because the car has so much potential in so many other areas (except the horn).

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As expected, a response from Hyundai Consumer Affairs is quite underwhelming:

"Dear xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America regarding your 2011 Hyundai Sonata's noise concerns.

We are sorry to learn that you are dissatisfied with xxxx Hyundai's diagnoses of your noise concerns. You are welcome to have your vehicle inspected at the Hyundai dealership of your choice. All dealerships are highly trained and qualified to determine and repair any possible concerns.

We have documented your comments under case yyyyyyy and have forwarded them to the department responsible for future changes to the Sonata.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs."

I still wish there was a way for me to tell whether my noise complaint is specific to my vehicle (sealing, undercoating, etc.) or a common issue among GLS's...

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (mcc17ss @ Jun 1 2010, 11:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328451
I still wish there was a way for me to tell whether my noise complaint is specific to my vehicle (sealing, undercoating, etc.) or a common issue among GLS's...
Just go drive another GLS man, and you'd find out in 5 minutes. All I can tell you is you're not going to find a quiet car on that price range. The only quieter can than this is probably the Camry, and barely. And besides costing more, I rather live with a bit more noise than drive that thing. Next time do your homework well and things like that shouldn't come as a surprise. Sorry to say that but it's true.

If you want to feel better, my Sonata is quieter than my $70K+ M3. And I don't believe the Limited is any quieter than the base, just like my top-of-the-line Accord V6/Navi I traded for the Sonata wasn't any quieter than a base one. And yes, the Accord was also noisier than the Sonata. Just learn how to live with it.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jun 1 2010, 04:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328551
Just go drive another GLS man, and you'd find out in 5 minutes. All I can tell you is you're not going to find a quiet car on that price range. The only quieter can than this is probably the Camry, and barely. And besides costing more, I rather live with a bit more noise than drive that thing. Next time do your homework well and things like that shouldn't come as a surprise. Sorry to say that but it's true.

If you want to feel better, my Sonata is quieter than my $70K+ M3. And I don't believe the Limited is any quieter than the base, just like my top-of-the-line Accord V6/Navi I traded for the Sonata wasn't any quieter than a base one. And yes, the Accord was also noisier than the Sonata. Just learn how to live with it.
it boggles my mind and makes me laugh that you'd even consider the M3 being anywhere NEAR the point of being quiet....just look at the specifics out of the box--- you're talking a race inspired breed of car (that's track ready from the factory) with huge 19" staggered rims (even the 18" package too) with rubberband thin tires. You CAN'T possibly expect that car to be quiet or even close to quiet.....

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 1 2010, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328555
it boggles my mind and makes me laugh that you'd even consider the M3 being anywhere NEAR the point of being quiet....just look at the specifics out of the box--- you're talking a race inspired breed of car (that's track ready from the factory) with huge 19" staggered rims (even the 18" package too) with rubberband thin tires. You CAN'T possibly expect that car to be quiet or even close to quiet.....
What part of 'To make you feel better...' didn't you understand??? :grin: Of course I knew that because I test drove the car; was just making the OP feel better. At slower speeds and smoother surfaces it's actually quieter, but on rough pavement (prevalent in the desert southwest) is a bit louder. The good news is it has a much better stereo so never a problem. Good day.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jun 1 2010, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328569
What part of 'To make you feel better...' didn't you understand??? :grin: Of course I knew that because I test drove the car; was just making the OP feel better. At slower speeds and smoother surfaces it's actually quieter, but on rough pavement (prevalent in the desert southwest) is a bit louder. The good news is it has a much better stereo so never a problem. Good day.
I drive my friend's 2009 M3 SMG quite often...the car is far from quiet or refined.....but it is fast and can handle...as a matter of fact, my old 2007 BMW 750Li company car had the sports package and while it was definitely more quiet than the sonata, it was no where near as quiet as a $100k luxury car should be.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As I mentioned in another topic that is no longer viewable for a whole host of reasons. Car & Driver did a comparo of 4 cyl. Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Subaru Legacy. Sonata I think won 2 out of the 3 categories for sound levels. The three areas tested were at idle, at cruise (70 MPH) and full throttle acceleration. I also researched the archives of C&D and found an article comparing the 2009 BMW 750 iL and the Mercedes S Class. Both of those cars had higher decibel ratings than the Hyundai. Of course some forum members wouldn't believe what I wrote but I am sure they didn't go looking to find the info I copied from the two articles. One poster said that there are so many ways to determine decibel levels and different equipment and tests. I still think the Sonata is pretty quiet.

One thing I would check if you think there is noise intrusion is to see if the rear seats are up and locked in place. I found that when I went to buy mulch on several occasions that I could notice a difference in sound with the seatbacks down.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts