Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just a random question. I have a 2012 sonata gls and I love it. But the head unit just seams “dated”. My girlfriend’s cousin has a 2011 limited and has the touch screen and navigation and looks WAY better and has far more options like HD radio and bluetooth audio support for changing songs with steering wheel controls. I understand that the faceplates are different between the models and I don’t have any gps parts for it to work, but is it possible to swap out my basic stock head unit to the stock touch screen head unit? Will it be as sinple as plug and play and replacing the faceplate? I have basic HVAC controls but wish to keep them. Would I need to swap HVAC units too? Really curious but there is no info online that I can find just by googling it. I don’t want some crappy aftermarket touchscreen unit with glitchy software and that doesn’t support the steering wheel controls that I have become So accustomed to thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Crappy aftermarket???? So, you want to replace the crappy GLS system with the premium crappy Limited system?

Find a salvage yard and pull the parts. You'll need speakers, amplifier, wiring harnesses... besides anything else that is different,

Axxess/Maestro/others make steering wheel wiring adapters for the excellent units from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Alpine..... no point on spending money on the glitchy OE junk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe I shouldn’t have said “crappy aftermarket”. Because it all depends on the brand and how much you’re willing to spend. And as for the swap, I would only be interested if it was simply plug and play. No way in **** is it worth swapping wiring harnesses lol. I like the stock look I should say. My bad.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well maybe I shouldn’t have said “crappy aftermarket”. Because it all depends on the brand and how much you’re willing to spend. And as for the swap, I would only be interested if it was simply plug and play. No way in **** is it worth swapping wiring harnesses lol. I like the stock look I should say. My bad.
Hey, people have different preferences, that's fine! Don't mind some of the fuss that goes on around here. :blush:

That said, you should do some research into some of the issues owners encounter with different OEM head-units, including the navigation unit. Glitches do indeed occur, and there are some common issues out there for different setups. As for nav specific, here are two links to reported issues: here and here.

I'm not personally familiar with the nav unit, but I would think there would also be some more involved installation aside from plug-n-play, such as perhaps a GPS antenna or some such thing. There's also a matter of communicating with CANBUS, etc.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Others have attempted the same thing, although for other years and have found the wiring harnesses do not line up. Since the limited has a different amp and additional wiring for GPS etc. Do some searches on the forum and you will find a couple that have done aftermarket units or even full tablet/touchscreen replacements that do look "stock" compared to some of the aftermarket out there(not gawdy and bright multi-color lights, etc).

You will be much happier with a unit that supports android auto/apple car play or something like that. Or a unit with straight up android and google maps or your preference of mapping service.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Others have attempted the same thing, although for other years and have found the wiring harnesses do not line up. Since the limited has a different amp and additional wiring for GPS etc. Do some searches on the forum and you will find a couple that have done aftermarket units or even full tablet/touchscreen replacements that do look "stock" compared to some of the aftermarket out there(not gawdy and bright multi-color lights, etc).

You will be much happier with a unit that supports android auto/apple car play or something like that. Or a unit with straight up android and google maps or your preference of mapping service.
Very true. Just today, I installed an Apple CarPlay unit by Kenwood, an Alpine amplifier, and a PAC steering wheel control adapter. Only took a few hours, and most of that was spent soldering wires for the harness adapter. I think it looks nice, personally! (Don't mind my busted passenger-side vent, haha)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very true. Just today, I installed an Apple CarPlay unit by Kenwood, an Alpine amplifier, and a PAC steering wheel control adapter. Only took a few hours, and most of that was spent soldering wires for the harness adapter. I think it looks nice, personally! (Don't mind my busted passenger-side vent, haha)
Hmm, did your Sonata originally come with a touchscreen? I heard that for the GLS we have to buy additional frame if we want to switch to a touch screen double dim unit. Thanks

Also how much did it cost you in total?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm, did your Sonata originally come with a touchscreen? I heard that for the GLS we have to buy additional frame if we want to switch to a touch screen double dim unit. Thanks

Also how much did it cost you in total?
I did have to buy a frame, yup! I bought the Scoshe HY1625B rather than the Metra brand since it seems to have terrible fitment and quality issues per reviews online. And indeed, the Scoshe fit like a glove with no issues whatsoever; doesn’t feel fragile either, which is great since one day I’d like to remove it again and replace that broken vent, haha.

Hard to estimate the total since the Kenwood DDX6703s and Alpine KTP-445U amp were transferred from my Saturn; I had originally bought those two in 2016 and 2013, respectively. The Kenwood head-unit has since been discontinued, but can still sometimes be found used or new-old-stock on eBay and elsewhere, so if you could find that and buy the rest new, I’d say you’re looking at around $380 or thereabouts. There are also other newer Apple CarPlay units out now that are cheap and good quality, such as the Sony XAV-AX100.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did have to buy a frame, yup! I bought the Scoshe HY1625B rather than the Metra brand since it seems to have terrible fitment and quality issues per reviews online. And indeed, the Scoshe fit like a glove with no issues whatsoever; doesn’t feel fragile either, which is great since one day I’d like to remove it again and replace that broken vent, haha.

Hard to estimate the total since the Kenwood DDX6703s and Alpine KTP-445U amp were transferred from my Saturn; I had originally bought those two in 2016 and 2013, respectively. The Kenwood head-unit has since been discontinued, but can still sometimes be found used or new-old-stock on eBay and elsewhere, so if you could find that and buy the rest new, I’d say you’re looking at around $380 or thereabouts. There are also other newer Apple CarPlay units out now that are cheap and good quality, such as the Sony XAV-AX100.
Thanks for the info. After installing the Kenwood, can you still control the head unit from your steering wheels? I'm looking at the Kenwood DMX7704S at around 270. So aside from the head unit and the dash, what components do I need to buy for everything to work?

Sorry if i ask too many question, but I'm kinda new to this

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the info. After installing the Kenwood, can you still control the head unit from your steering wheels? I'm looking at the Kenwood DMX7704S at around 270. So aside from the head unit and the dash, what components do I need to buy for everything to work?

Sorry if i ask too many question, but I'm kinda new to this
Not a problem. :) If the speakers you have are rated to operate at 22W RMS or below, you don't really need a separate amplifier, just a head-unit, a dash mounting kit, a harness adapter, and to retain the steering wheels controls, an adapter for that. In my case, I intend one day to upgrade my speakers to some heftier units than the OEM, so I installed an external amplifier as well. Here is a full list of what I installed:

• Scoshe HY1625B dash mounting kit
  • Kenwood DDX6703s head-unit
  • Metra 70-7304 wiring harness adapter
  • Alpine KTP-445U four-channel amplifier
  • PAC SWI-RC steering wheel control adapter

As far as steering wheel control adapters are concerned, there are a couple out there. I went the cheaper route, and thus can't program an 'End' or 'Bluetooth' function. I could map those buttons on the steering wheel to another function, but in any case, I'm able to retain use of all the other buttons. Other popular options are the Axxess ASWC-1 and some others that I believe also come packaged with cords to retain the aux and USB ports that come with the car (though be forewarned: I've yet to read a review where the OEM USB port adapters worked for either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, if you were to use either). Either way, the good news is you only need to use one wire to gain access to the steering wheel controls on a GLS (perhaps all trims as well, not sure), and that comes as a part of the Metra harness adapter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not a problem. :) If the speakers you have are rated to operate at 22W RMS or below, you don't really need a separate amplifier, just a head-unit, a dash mounting kit, a harness adapter, and to retain the steering wheels controls, an adapter for that. In my case, I intend one day to upgrade my speakers to some heftier units than the OEM, so I installed an external amplifier as well. Here is a full list of what I installed:

• Scoshe HY1625B dash mounting kit
  • Kenwood DDX6703s head-unit
  • Metra 70-7304 wiring harness adapter
  • Alpine KTP-445U four-channel amplifier
  • PAC SWI-RC steering wheel control adapter

As far as steering wheel control adapters are concerned, there are a couple out there. I went the cheaper route, and thus can't program an 'End' or 'Bluetooth' function. I could map those buttons on the steering wheel to another function, but in any case, I'm able to retain use of all the other buttons. Other popular options are the Axxess ASWC-1 and some others that I believe also come packaged with cords to retain the aux and USB ports that come with the car (though be forewarned: I've yet to read a review where the OEM USB port adapters worked for either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, if you were to use either). Either way, the good news is you only need to use one wire to gain access to the steering wheel controls on a GLS (perhaps all trims as well, not sure), and that comes as a part of the Metra harness adapter.
Bough the head unit and everything. Unfortunately my car is still sitting at the dealership waiting for the new engine. Since I'm not familiar with all this, a local store quoted me 300$ to install everything including the backup camera to the system. Do you think it is worth it? Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bough the head unit and everything. Unfortunately my car is still sitting at the dealership waiting for the new engine. Since I'm not familiar with all this, a local store quoted me 300$ to install everything including the backup camera to the system. Do you think it is worth it? Thanks
I personally think that's a good deal, but others might have more experience in that department and know what's a good going price for an install on a Sonata. The only time I've dealt with a shop was to get a sub installed in a classic car that I was too worried about messing up myself, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts