Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was coming home from work driving thru the woods and saw an all black RSX Type-S flying up behind me noticed it was the 200hp K20 older one cause of its trim. Then he got next to me and we both hit it at like 40mph and I gave him a hard time all the way to 90mph. I've also noticed that he had a buddy with him so he had a little extra weight. lol not bad just my lil experience driving home. ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I came from an 07 K20 Si to my 2.0T, they're comparable in acceleration. I feel the 2.0T edges em by just a little bit...but I love my sonata so much more

Edit:::waiting for thread lock

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came from an 07 K20 Si to my 2.0T, they're comparable in acceleration. I feel the 2.0T edges em by just a little bit...but I love my sonata so much more

Edit:::waiting for thread lock
Yeah the K20 civics and RSXs are like 200lbs lighter then the yf sonatas but once the sonata is rolling and the extra torque the GDi motor makes it does fairly well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can tell ya this though, those K20's sound great @ WOT...it nearly feels like it boosts when you cross over to vtaakkkk...and revving to 8600 is craziness

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can tell ya this though, those K20's sound great @ WOT...it nearly feels like it boosts when you cross over to vtaakkkk...and revving to 8600 is craziness
Yeah they sound awesome at high rpm but no torque and horsepower is like at 6,500rpm where vtec kicks in below those rpm it's sooo yuck acceleration hahahaha

·
Registered
54 Posts
hum. Funny.. the other day I came upon a a fourth gen Camaro and a BMW M5 on the streets. Running from lights to lights. I was behind the m5 and when they went; I went too. I was AMAZED that I stuck behind them all the way to the next light. They did not pull although the camaro did fall behind a bit from the M5. These Theta2 motor are amazing. Only time will tell what other possibilities are achievable. Mind this that my 2.4L has a few tricks ( my secrets), SRI , exhaust.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LMFAO! I believe quite a few readers are thinking that...
Everyone makes jokes about Vtec... but the truth is that variable valve timing is the future. Although variable valve timing was engineered by Nissan, Honda is the only company able to make it work and for production vehicles. Until now everyone is adapting some type of variable valve timing but forget who actually made the engineering work. I might not be a big honda fan, but being an automotive enthusiast, I give Honda MAD respect. No other company then can make 100hp per liter via NA for consumers.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had a Civic. It was so poor in performance (EX, not SI) that my next vehicle was a Ram SRT10 supercharged. I couldn't handle not being able to hit cruising speed on an on ramp anymore. lol However, it did what it should as far as mileage. I was constantly in high 20's for strictly city driving.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Everyone makes jokes about Vtec... but the truth is that variable valve timing is the future. Although variable valve timing was engineered by Nissan, Honda is the only company able to make it work and for production vehicles. Until now everyone is adapting some type of variable valve timing but forget who actually made the engineering work. I might not be a big honda fan, but being an automotive enthusiast, I give Honda MAD respect. No other company then can make 100hp per liter via NA for consumers.
My reference was to street "racing". All legality aside you never know how hard anybody was actually going. Its super subjective.

The 2002 M5 0-60 4.7
The 2002 M5 0-60 4.1
The 2006 M5 0-60 4.0

2011 2.0T 0-60 6.2

2013 Camaro SS 0-60 4.5
2010 Camaro V6 0-60 6.0

All above times are magazine times.

I would take a good VQ motor any day of the week though. Minus butterfly screws. ;-) Horsepower is great but its only part of the go quick equation. You need torque as well. Honda uses spin to get their numbers up. It how those F1 cars generate so much HP...they scream up into the teens thousands for RPM.

1. POWER (the rate of doing WORK) is dependent on TORQUE and RPM.
  2. TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output.
  3. POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation:
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

·
Registered
54 Posts
My reference was to street "racing". All legality aside you never know how hard anybody was actually going. Its super subjective.

The 2002 M5 0-60 4.7
The 2002 M5 0-60 4.1
The 2006 M5 0-60 4.0

2011 2.0T 0-60 6.2

2013 Camaro SS 0-60 4.5
2010 Camaro V6 0-60 6.0

All above times are magazine times.

I would take a good VQ motor any day of the week though. Minus butterfly screws. ;-) Horsepower is great but its only part of the go quick equation. You need torque as well. Honda uses spin to get their numbers up. It how those F1 cars generate so much HP...they scream up into the teens thousands for RPM.

1. POWER (the rate of doing WORK) is dependent on TORQUE and RPM.
  2. TORQUE and RPM are the MEASURED quantities of engine output.
  3. POWER is CALCULATED from torque and RPM, by the following equation:
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
Understood. But true. Although I never really went into 3rd I was just surprise that a Sonata 2.4 would atleast keep its pace. I personally own a VQ35de-r and for its output, it does ok for NA v6. Civics were not meant to be riced out.... although proven over time can achieve performance with money and tuning. We how-ever never get the good models.... its sad.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Understood. But true. Although I never really went into 3rd I was just surprise that a Sonata 2.4 would atleast keep its pace. I personally own a VQ35de-r and for its output, it does ok for NA v6. Civics were not meant to be riced out.... although proven over time can achieve performance with money and tuning. We how-ever never get the good models.... its sad.
I think the Nissan VQ motors are smooth and virtually bullet proof. I had the VQ30DEK and I very much liked its output. Not overwhelming, but the sweet spots were perfect for how I drove. I just wish the body held out on my A33 as I would have kept it. Midwest is torture in the winter... :(

I have a 2.4 Sonata and thought the 2.0T was a bit laggy down low for normal day to day use. Up at highway speeds I found the 2.0T more desirable. The 2.4 Sonata is also more snappy down low than my Fusion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm waiting for Yamaha and Suzuki to make a car engine That has the same power per litre as motorcycles. then we will have some super power from a small motor. ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Germans engineered and developed variable valve timing in their vehicles! Das Auto!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts